You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011
Started by Siggy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Count me in! 😀
hope to say "ACCEPTED" in 3-4 months!!!! good luck to everyone!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For Western/COMP discussion!
(I win... I'm immortal now. There can only be ONE).
I saw this thread a few days ago and was so angry that you beat me to the punch that I didn't log into SDN for a week.
Not really, but I really wanted to make the new thread, haha.
Good luck to everybody in this cycle!
just got the secondary!
everyone!
Yayness! Good luck to you too. I hope I get this one soon too. Is the app the same as last years? I already have all the questions answered so I hope so... 🙂
Yayness! Good luck to you too. I hope I get this one soon too. Is the app the same as last years? I already have all the questions answered so I hope so... 🙂
thanks! 🙂
here are the essay questions:
While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?
Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.
Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in Southern California appeals to you.
looks like they added another one? there are also questions on if you have shadowed any physicians and their info...any teaching experience you may have...and if you have done any research
thanks! 🙂
here are the essay questions:
While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?
Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community.
Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical experiences in Southern California appeals to you.
looks like they added another one? there are also questions on if you have shadowed any physicians and their info...any teaching experience you may have...and if you have done any research
is there a character/word limit on any of these puppies?
Thanks in Advance
is there a character/word limit on any of these puppies?
Thanks in Advance
None listed from what I can see. I'm still waiting on getting the invite but I started the secondary because I've got a login from when I did my SMP application

what are the secondary essays if you dont mind me asking?
also what is Pomona like for those that know? Is it part of LA metro area?
Secondary Essays from last year:
.1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?.
.2. What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?.
.3. Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community..
As for Pomona..... it's like the armpit of California. Stay away.
Secondary Essays from last year:
.1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?.
.2. What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?.
.3. Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically disadvantaged community..
As for Pomona..... it's like the armpit of California. Stay away.
so true. If I get in here i'd live in Claremont or something, not in pomona. Its pretty bad Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received the secondary email today! Do they screen gpa's and mcat scores for the secondary? I wasn't sure if they did or not.
When were you complete?
Received the secondary email today! Do they screen gpa's and mcat scores for the secondary? I wasn't sure if they did or not.
I got it too, yay 🙂 because I'd filled out most of app already from last year and this year's is very similar so that's good 🙂
Received the secondary email today! Do they screen gpa's and mcat scores for the secondary? I wasn't sure if they did or not.
I can say they do screen but the cut off is pretty low. I think one of my friends got denied last year with a 22P on her MCAT, but it's a new year, with new rules?
is there a character/word limit on any of these puppies?
Thanks in Advance
it says to limit your comments to one page.
When were you complete?
I believe schools recieved my mcat scores July 5th, so that's when I would have been complete.
.One of the secondary questions states:
Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical.. experiences in Southern California appeals to you....
I really want to attend the Lebanon Campus, how would you go about answering this question? Are there going to be two different applications?
Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical.. experiences in Southern California appeals to you....
I really want to attend the Lebanon Campus, how would you go about answering this question? Are there going to be two different applications?
.One of the secondary questions states:
Explain why the opportunity to study and participate in clinical.. experiences in Southern California appeals to you....
I really want to attend the Lebanon Campus, how would you go about answering this question? Are there going to be two different applications?
I thought you could select which campus when you clicked "new" on the application.
I thought you could select which campus when you clicked "new" on the application.
/facepalm you are right, I was still thinking that northwest was the program not the school. Thanks
For those of you with COMP double campus questions, I emailed the admissions advisers and received a lovely email from Cameron. Stating:
"the applications for DO-NW and DO-Pomona are handled separately and will require separate application documents and fees. Application items for both should be returned to the address below.
.Western University of Health Sciences.
309 E. Second Street,
Pomona, CA 91766"
I emailed her back because I don't understand how we are supposed to stress why we want to attend the OR campus with essay #4. I'll keep you updated! 🙂
"the applications for DO-NW and DO-Pomona are handled separately and will require separate application documents and fees. Application items for both should be returned to the address below.
.Western University of Health Sciences.
309 E. Second Street,
Pomona, CA 91766"
I emailed her back because I don't understand how we are supposed to stress why we want to attend the OR campus with essay #4. I'll keep you updated! 🙂
Last edited:
I DECLARE THIS MY THREAD!! Sorry for all the posts. Another tidbit of info for you all.
After speaking with Robin Johnson, one of the admission counselors, who was extremely nice I might add, we will have to submit two applications. One to each campus. The secondary invites we received were JUST to the Pomona campus program. So just fill it out and everything will be good to go for that one. The secondaries for the Lebanon Program will be coming out "probably sometime next week" per Robin. So just wait on that one. She also stated that they were going to be mostly similar, except for a few questions (essay #4 comes to mind). So CA is good to go, and we are waiting on the OR secondary invites.
After speaking with Robin Johnson, one of the admission counselors, who was extremely nice I might add, we will have to submit two applications. One to each campus. The secondary invites we received were JUST to the Pomona campus program. So just fill it out and everything will be good to go for that one. The secondaries for the Lebanon Program will be coming out "probably sometime next week" per Robin. So just wait on that one. She also stated that they were going to be mostly similar, except for a few questions (essay #4 comes to mind). So CA is good to go, and we are waiting on the OR secondary invites.
Question about the secondary. On the essays page where it says "Please limit your comments to one page." Does this mean that we should type everything first in MS Word to make sure it all fits on one page? And then my second question is, is that one page per essay, or one page for all four essay responses? I think it's kind of silly that they don't just have character limits when it is an online supplemental... lol 🙂
Question about the secondary. On the essays page where it says "Please limit your comments to one page." Does this mean that we should type everything first in MS Word to make sure it all fits on one page? And then my second question is, is that one page per essay, or one page for all four essay responses? I think it's kind of silly that they don't just have character limits when it is an online supplemental... lol 🙂
Nvm this got answered in the Secondary Applications thread 🙂
This extra question on why I want to study and participate in clinical experiences in southern CA is annoying. I can't think of anything significant to say, only "its warm." haha...
Nvm this got answered in the Secondary Applications thread 🙂
This extra question on why I want to study and participate in clinical experiences in southern CA is annoying. I can't think of anything significant to say, only "its warm." haha...
Google the area and the efforts by Western there, I am sure you will find something that interests you.
Nvm this got answered in the Secondary Applications thread 🙂
This extra question on why I want to study and participate in clinical experiences in southern CA is annoying. I can't think of anything significant to say, only "its warm." haha...
The clinical in Southern California is easy for me, but its part of my essay on criteria for selecting schools. I was planning on submitting today but I'll have to wait and submit it later because I've gotta split the essays.
Western is nearby some world renowned hospitals (Cedar Sinai, UC hospitals, other LA area hospitals). There's also a boatload of research opportunities. There is a ton of things to do that are not educational to unwind. The weather is amazing. There is a huge network of Western grads in the area. Plus its the closest DO school to my house =)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is everyone putting Pomona as their number one choice, if they applied to both campuses? I'm kinda worried that my answer will affect one negatively.
I still have not received the secondary. Anyone else?
I'm right there with you. I'm starting to think I got screened out before they received my new mcat score 🙁
I'm right there with you. I'm starting to think I got screened out before they received my new mcat score 🙁
I got my secondary almost a week after the first people. Just hang in there, I'm sure it will come.
Yeah I haven't gotten the secondary either and I submitted the first day.
i was starting to wonder if was the only one who didnt receive one. i've been looking through my inbox and spam folder thinking maybe i missed it.
Nvm this got answered in the Secondary Applications thread 🙂
This extra question on why I want to study and participate in clinical experiences in southern CA is annoying. I can't think of anything significant to say, only "its warm." haha...
same. its the one question that i'm having a hard time answering.
but thx DbDan! ur suggestions have def given me a direction to go
I got my secondary almost a week after the first people. Just hang in there, I'm sure it will come.
Yeah I haven't gotten the secondary either and I submitted the first day.
i was starting to wonder if was the only one who didnt receive one. i've been looking through my inbox and spam folder thinking maybe i missed it.
Whew, so we're not alone. I feel a little bit better. Hopefully we all get it very soon!
i haven't gotten one either..and i was verified early june..
does the secondary application come via email or snail-mail? hope it is on they way...
does the secondary application come via email or snail-mail? hope it is on they way...
Whew, so we're not alone. I feel a little bit better. Hopefully we all get it very soon!
Western screens their primaries more thoroughly than other DO schools, so it takes them a bit longer to send out secondaries. If I remember correctly, I had my primary in in June, and recieved my secondary in late august. But after you submit your secondary, they're pretty quick with offering you an interview (at least that was the case for me).
Just got secondary. Hopefully everyone else who was waiting for it will receive it soon.
Anyone know if they accept LOR's before our AACOMAS is verified? I'm trying to send out LOR's to all my schools in a batch right now since it's fees per request. Thanks!
I would not suggest sending any school your LORs before receiving a secondary invite. Especially if they have not yet recieved your primary (which they haven't if you still aren't verified). They will likely wind up in the shredder and have to be sent again.
I'm having trouble with the essay on describing my participation in community service activities in medically undeserved or economically disadvantaged communities. What if I don't really have experience in those communities???
Make up experiences, win.
Or just twist the question--you don't have any specific experience in there but you want to, try to relate something you did, briefly, to the question.
I.e., Research?
Before: Nope
After: Although I have not done any formal research, I have completed an undergraduate student research project in cell physiology.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Make up experiences, win.
*cough* you sir, just won the award for worst advice ever.
Make up experiences, win.
Or just twist the question--you don't have any specific experience in there but you want to, try to relate something you did, briefly, to the question.
I.e., Research?
Before: Nope
After: Although I have not done any formal research, I have completed an undergraduate student research project in cell physiology.
lol nice 😀
Does anyone know what the mailing address is for the Oregon campus to send out LORs?
Thanks!
You know, I think that the selection might be done at the Pomona Campus still. We still send our signature page and monies to the Pomona Campus, so I am assuming that the LoR's might go here as well.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 471
- Views
- 145K
- Replies
- 116
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 712
- Views
- 236K
everyone!