Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My friend (who doesn't post anything on SDN) just got his letter in the mail today. Accepted! We are both in state and interviewed 10/6.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations to everyone with acceptances! westernu is a great school! hopefully i will have the opportunity to attend with all of you fall 2016. just a quick question, has anyone received any recent interview invites? my secondary stuff was all complete early october. thanks!

I need some input about MSU vs. Western from current med students at Western. I will be visiting MSU campus on Oct 27/11 and hopefully will make my decision then. But I like the campus.

I am a Canadian and therefore the OOS tuition for MSU and tuition at Western are very close.

Other than the weather, what else do you guys think that makes Western above MSU?

I need some input about MSU vs. Western from current med students at Western. I will be visiting MSU campus on Oct 27/11 and hopefully will make my decision then. But I like the campus.

I am a Canadian and therefore the OOS tuition for MSU and tuition at Western are very close.

Other than the weather, what else do you guys think that makes Western above MSU?

it doesn't snow

congratulations to everyone with acceptances! westernu is a great school! hopefully i will have the opportunity to attend with all of you fall 2016. just a quick question, has anyone received any recent interview invites? my secondary stuff was all complete early october. thanks!

hey ooitsrich.... I was complete one week ago and I haven't heard of anything. Let me know when you hear anything? Then i would know when to expect my call (hopefully).

hey ooitsrich.... I was complete one week ago and I haven't heard of anything. Let me know when you hear anything? Then i would know when to expect my call (hopefully).

hey engin33ring, no worries. i will most definitely let you know if i hear back. i hope i will at least get an interview again this cycle. i applied late last year and ended up on the alternate list

just received an interview invite for november. trying to book cross country flights, particularly my return flight. Can anyone who has interviewed let me know what time the interview day was finished...i'm looking at a 5:30pm departure out of Ontario Airport....thanks!!

just received an interview invite for november. trying to book cross country flights, particularly my return flight. Can anyone who has interviewed let me know what time the interview day was finished...i'm looking at a 5:30pm departure out of Ontario Airport....thanks!!

I think my day ended at around 1 or 2 pm. There was a short tour after lunch

hey just wondering what you guys think.. I interviewed on 10/6 but it seems like everyone got their letter already.. I still don't have mine yet.. do they send out a letter if they decide to reject? Duno if I should call and ask about it or just keep waiting...

hey just wondering what you guys think.. I interviewed on 10/6 but it seems like everyone got their letter already.. I still don't have mine yet.. do they send out a letter if they decide to reject? Duno if I should call and ask about it or just keep waiting...

hey misterpeco. i believe they do send rejection letters out. but i don't think it has anything to getting a letter earlier or later. some people received rejections last year the same day people received acceptances. i'd just be patient and wait it out. good luck to you though! :thumbup:

mm okay thanks for the encouragement haha.. i tend to scare myself i guess.. but I'm in state and I see someone oos got their letters already even though we interview the same day that makes me wonder if it got lost or something..

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted.

Received acceptance letter today on 10/22.
Interviewed on 10/06.
NJ resident

Did anyone get a scholarship in the mail? I just got home and RANDOMLY got a letter for a fricken $10K scholarship from Western !

I was accepted two days ago! SO CRAZY!

Did anyone get a scholarship in the mail? I just got home and RANDOMLY got a letter for a fricken $10K scholarship from Western !

I was accepted two days ago! SO CRAZY!

whoa...what are you stats?

whoa...what are you stats?

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.64
mcat: 28
lots of extra-curriculars
non-trad student.

i dont think i'm that stellar of an applicant to be 100% honest, but i think my interview went very well. i was just wondering if this is something that they give to everyone, or just a select few.

thanks.

cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.64
mcat: 28
lots of extra-curriculars
non-trad student.

i dont think i'm that stellar of an applicant to be 100% honest, but i think my interview went very well. i was just wondering if this is something that they give to everyone, or just a select few.

thanks.
that's awesome that you got a scholarship..i wish i got one!

scholarships are almost always to a select few--you must've killed the MMI (unlike me lol)

Just received an interview invite for 11/19. I was completed 9/16, so don't give up hope!

thanks for the update jay! gives me a sigh of relief and more patience since i was complete early october. good luck on your interview!! :luck:

Just received an interview invite for 11/19. I was completed 9/16, so don't give up hope!

I was complete one week ago :( If you guys are hearing 4 weeks later, does that mean I prob won't hear til the end of november? :scared:

I was complete one week ago :( If you guys are hearing 4 weeks later, does that mean I prob won't hear til the end of november? :scared:
I was complete August 5th and STILL haven't heard anything. When I talked to an admissions counselor, they told me that your application has to be reviewed by two adcom members before a decision is made, and my 1st adcom member just took forever and my application is now under review with the second member, so it can be a super long process unfortunately...

Invite today for the 1st of December, but I'm tired of missing classes or work for interviews so they gave me the 10th instead, which is a Saturday. Totally cool with that. Not super stoked about this MMI thing, though...

congrats on the interview invite and good luck! just out of curiosity, when were you complete at WesternU?

congrats on the interview invite and good luck! just out of curiosity, when were you complete at WesternU?
They received my secondary on Aug 11th, but there was an issue with my committee letter, so I received a 'complete status' more towards the end of August. Don't remember the exact date, though. Hope that helps!

Invite today for the 1st of December, but I'm tired of missing classes or work for interviews so they gave me the 10th instead, which is a Saturday. Totally cool with that. Not super stoked about this MMI thing, though...

The MMI thing isnt too bad. Its quick and not really hard questions.. just gotta be urself

plus Western only has 2 MMI stations, unlike other schools which have like 10

The MMI thing isnt too bad. Its quick and not really hard questions.. just gotta be urself

plus Western only has 2 MMI stations, unlike other schools which have like 10

Agreed. I just went through a full length MMI (11 stations) yesterday. Def an experience.

Does Pomona have a subway station that goes to downtown LA? If so, how long does it usually take?

Does Western call you for an interview? Or do they send out interview invites via email? It seems like people have gotten (not 100% certain) interview invites via a phone call. If so, I guess it's possible to get rejected via a phone call as well (though that would seem a bit harsh and doesn't make sense at all lol).

The reason I'm asking is because I was left a message on my phone today, unfortunately I didn't get the time to check my message until this evening. In the message, I told that it's regarding my application and that was it. I will call them tomorrow, but it would be nice to know why I received the call. Don't want to call them tomorrow and hear some type of bad news. :scared:

Last edited:
I am 100% sure WesternU will contact someone via phone for an interview, or at least that's how it was last application cycle. I am not sure about rejections though. They also might have called because there was some deficiency in your application like they were missing an LOR or something like that. Hopefully you are correct and did receive an interview invite! :xf: Do you mind me asking when you were complete? Please let us know if you did indeed receive an invite :]

Does Western call you for an interview? Or do they send out interview invites via email? It seems like people have gotten (not 100% certain) interview invites via a phone call. If so, I guess it's possible to get rejected via a phone call as well (though that would seem a bit harsh and doesn't make sense at all lol).

The reason I'm asking is because I was left a message on my phone today, unfortunately I didn't get the time to check my message until this evening. In the message, I told that it's regarding my application and that was it. I will call them tomorrow, but it would be nice to know why I received the call. Don't want to call them tomorrow and hear some type of bad news. :scared:

I am 100% sure WesternU will contact someone via phone for an interview, or at least that's how it was last application cycle. I am not sure about rejections though. They also might have called because there was some deficiency in your application like they were missing an LOR or something like that. Hopefully you are correct and did receive an interview invite! :xf: Do you mind me asking when you were complete? Please let us know if you did indeed receive an invite :]

Thanks for the info. Yeah I hope it's an invite. Suspense! lol I wish I could call now.

I was complete late September, but I didn't receive a official complete email. So I waited two weeks and contacted them in mid October. Then I was told that I should have received a "complete" email, but they would be now (meaning mid October) forwarding my app to the committee. So I guess I was officially complete about two weeks ago even though I should have been complete late September. Not sure what happened, but I'm gonna be excited if the call was in fact for an invite!

Sorry I had a quick question! I also did not receive a confirmation email saying that my file was complete and ready for review. Do you think you could check the online Banweb and tell me what yours says under Application Status? Mine says: Application Status:Application Materials Received. I should call them tomorrow to check and make sure everything is alright with my application file.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I hope it's an invite. Suspense! lol I wish I could call now.

I was complete late September, but I didn't receive a official complete email. So I waited two weeks and contacted them in mid October. Then I was told that I should have received a "complete" email, but they would be now (meaning mid October) forwarding my app to the committee. So I guess I was officially complete about two weeks ago even though I should have been complete late September. Not sure what happened, but I'm gonna be excited if the call was in fact for an invite!

Sorry I had a quick question! I also did not receive a confirmation email saying that my file was complete and ready for review. Do you think you could check the online Banweb and tell me what yours says under Application Status? Mine says: Application Status:Application Materials Received. I should call them tomorrow to check and make sure everything is alright with my application file.

It says the same thing: Application Materials Received. When was everything received by Pomona. If it has been more than a week, I would go ahead and send them an email. Or you could call them I guess.

If its incomplete they will send you an email. It happened to me.

Hope they have good news for you.

My interview is coming up this Saturday and reading the questions on Interview Feedbacks is making me so nervous lol.

It's really interesting to note that so far from the Sept 22 and Oct 6th interview dates, only less than 15 people actually joined facebook for those accepted.

I wonder if most of these applicants are superb and decided to withdraw or decline the offer in favour of other schools or maybe they just don't want to join the facebook page.

I'm trying to find a place to live, and I came across these 3 areas, anyone want to shed some light?

1) Claremont
2) Walnut
3) Diamond Bar

I'm trying to find a place to live, and I came across these 3 areas, anyone want to shed some light?

1) Claremont
2) Walnut
3) Diamond Bar

ive lived in all 3 areas (with my parents) if you wanna PM me with specific questions ill be happy to answer

of the 3 I prefer Claremont because it is very close to western and its a really nice neighborhood (if u have kids) and the claremont village is lovely to go out to for food/studying

ive lived in all 3 areas (with my parents) if you wanna PM me with specific questions ill be happy to answer

of the 3 I prefer Claremont because it is very close to western and its a really nice neighborhood (if u have kids) and the claremont village is lovely to go out to for food/studying

How long of a commute are we talking about from Claremont to campus (worst-case scenario)?

has anyone from interview on 10/22/11, heard back yet??? I just can't wait..:scared:

It's really interesting to note that so far from the Sept 22 and Oct 6th interview dates, only less than 15 people actually joined facebook for those accepted.

I wonder if most of these applicants are superb and decided to withdraw or decline the offer in favour of other schools or maybe they just don't want to join the facebook page.
3 of my friends have been accepted but haven't joined the fb group...don't wanna join until i'm sure i'm going

How long of a commute are we talking about from Claremont to campus (worst-case scenario)?

from my house its like a 10 min drive...worst case (u catch all the red lights) 15-20 min

Do you know the date of their interview? I havn't heard anything from interview on 10/22/11

Interviewing today. So excited/nervous. #1 school :scared:

Good luck Visha! :) It's really low stress. Just take a deep breath, use the entire time given to look over the scenario/question, and go for it during the mini MMI.

IDF - that sounds absolutely perfect. I'll be sure to PM you sometime soon for more questions about the area. :)