Western-COMP: Got the good news today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What a relief, I finally got some good news today after 7 months of waiting.

I have been accepted into the D.O. class of 2003 at Western University of Health
Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific.

This whole process has weighed very heavy on me since the start, and I am glad that it is
all over. I never believed it when med. students and doctors told me that the hardest part of med. school was getting in. Now I understand what they meant. I know that med.
school is not going to be a cake walk, but at least I know what I am going to be doing for
the next 7 years. Thanks to all the posters for their comments and support over the last 7 months, you have helped me hang on.

To all the other members of the COMP class of ?03: I look forward to meeting you in August.

Premed1 (and soon to be MS1)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I know you've been on pins and needles for awhile now. I'm glad the good news finally arrived.

Best wishes.

sig1.gif

Premed1,

Great job! Knew you could do it. Why don't you send me, Nicolas, and JY an e-mail. As fellow 2003ers at WesternU/COMP, we should meet up for dinner before classes start in August. Now you are going to have the great joy of filling out your FAFSA and finding a way to pay for medical school! Have some fun now, you deserve it.

EDGAR

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations
I know you've been "living on the edge", so I'm happy for you. It always feels good to get in somewhere, doesn't it?
Can wait to meet you next Fall ( you and the rest of the GANG..)
--Nicolas--
WesternU '03

premed1--

Congrats!! It's all over, yet it's all about to begin.

JY

Congrat. to all that have been accepted to Western/COMP.
smile.gif
And good thing for me that I have found you lucky people because I am doing research on which schools to apply to and Western/COMP is near the top of my list, mainly because of its location. But other then that, I don't really know that much about it. Can you tell me what you know about the curriculum, financial aid, residency program, etc. And what are some of the reasons why you decided that you wanted a D.O. education from Western/COMP. What do you think about applying to Western/COMP early decision program? One more bit of info. about myself, I am a resident of Nevada and wonder how that would affect my chances of getting in. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Mai (edited 02-09-99).]

Congratulations. Finally, your destination are shinning from the dark and your pace is one step more clearer. However, you just started another journey. Keep on going tough guy.

Take care and do enjoy the rest of the year before school start.

Mai,

I interviewed with an applicant from Nevada. But I have no idea if she got in, I really didn't even get a chance to talk to her during my interview day. Since you are a Nevada resident, you should definitely apply to UNR because they heavily favor in-staters and have a great primary care medical program. My friend's girlfriend is a 2nd or 3rd year there, she likes it.

Anyways, I chose COMP for general academic excellence, due to the fact that it is in LA (close enough to my parents by far enough away from them as well), and the great people I met there. COMP grads do well in DO and MD residency matches. My interviewer said that one of his students matched at Yale for Emergency Medicine, a very competitive specialty. If you check out the American Academy of Family Practice's website (http://www.aafp.org) you will see that there are many DO graduates in MD family practice residencies, especially at UC Davis and USC. And like I said before, my interviewers and the other staff I met at the school were the warmest and friendliest people I have ever met. The students of course, were awesome, they seemed generally happy to be there. As far as financial aid, they seemed on top of things and have been very helpful when I've visited them in person and talked with them on the phone.

As far as the EDP, I still think you should apply to both MD and DO schools but make sure to get your applications in EARLY! AACOMAS, the DO med school application service starts processing applications on June 1st of each year, exactly the same time that AMCAS starts their processing. I sent my AACOMAS application in by the 1st week of June, and got my secondary from many schools in July and August. Since I was so early in applying, I got my first interview from AZCOM in late September, and had my COMP interview the first week of October. AZCOM and COMP accepted about two weeks after my COMP interview. Recently I spoke to the assistant dean of admissions at COMP, and she said my interview group was the first group of students to be accepted after the EDP folks. In all honesty, I don't see an advantage in applying EDP because if you get rejected, you are at a disadvantage because EDP prohibits you from applying to other med schools until you get rejected from that school to applied EDP. Lastly, remember that EDP restricts you to applying ONLY to 1 medical school, and that includes both MD and DO schools. Good luck!

EDGAR

Hi premed1, let me add my congratulations to the list. I've been in the bay area this past week visiting family and California is a great place (although you'll be further south I know). So is COMP your first choice or are you still hoping Nova comes through for you?

anybody knows about the acceptance status of this coming year at COMP? Thanks

Congratulations to all the COMP c/o'03 folks.

Moon,
I interviewed at COMP yesterday and they said that the class is 2/3 full right now. I think that this is what you were asking.