Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.sys-con.com/node/1736183

Read on down to where it says

"Approximately 300 DO medical students will be interviewed for 100 openings at the Oregon campus. Enrollment is currently about 70 percent, said Susan Hanson, director of admissions for COMP.”

So give or take, about 30 spots are left for this school as of March 1st (with very loose interpretation). Good luck with the interview on the 26th!


as of last week (tuesday?) there were 83 confirmed, without hearing from all of the accepted students from the previous interview. so probably in the 85-90 range by now. good luck to you guys! I will be there at your interview. See you then!
 
as of last week (tuesday?) there were 83 confirmed, without hearing from all of the accepted students from the previous interview. so probably in the 85-90 range by now. good luck to you guys! I will be there at your interview. See you then!


Do you know how many people will be interviewing on the 26th?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
as of last week (tuesday?) there were 83 confirmed, without hearing from all of the accepted students from the previous interview. so probably in the 85-90 range by now. good luck to you guys! I will be there at your interview. See you then!

Where is this info from?
 
One of the professors at COMP-NW who is also doing interviews and helping with the admissions process that I spoke on the phone with last week.

Did Dr. Pham call you too? I thought that was such a nice gesture. I am really loving this school already!
 
Did Dr. Pham call you too? I thought that was such a nice gesture. I am really loving this school already!

he did and i think he's fabulous. i am seeing him in portland on the 25th to get my physical and titers done because i couldn't get anything down here until may!
 
Wait you guys got calls, too? I got a call from Dr. Muscato and I thought that was pretty cool. August can't come soon enough.

A

i think that everyone who has been accepted received personal, congratulatory phone calls. nice touch =)
 
Well congrats to those accepted, it's been a long process but you're in! Now only 4 years more till you can live your calling.

For those of you on the wait-list, never give up, hope always carries you though. If you didn't get in anywhere, look at your app and see what you can do next year. You made it to the alternate list, so they do see something in you.

Finally for those of you who have interviews on the 26th remember you are not interviewing for wait-list spots, you are the final interview for spots still open in the class. Take that with you into your interviews.

Cheers to everyone; past, present, and future.
 
rrh and DomerSB, where are you staying? Would you all like to get together the night before? I'm probably staying at one of the kind of motels in town. I would just rather be close and play it safe than drive half an hour in the morning.
 
Last edited:
he did and i think he's fabulous. i am seeing him in portland on the 25th to get my physical and titers done because i couldn't get anything down here until may!

I just saw Dr. Pham on the OHSU campus today. Man, that guy is everywhere!
 
rrh and DomerSB, where are you staying? Would you all like to get together the night before? I'm probably staying at one of the kind of motels in town. I would just rather be close and play it safe than drive half an hour in the morning.

Hey adb, I'll be crashing in the Phoenix Inn the night before. I'd be game get together for a bit. Feel free to PM me.

@JamesLMT -thank you for your kind words! 🙂
 
Hey guys..Good Luck with your interviews on Saturday!! There is absolutely nothing to be nervous about...You'll love the school (gorgeous--from the outside that is), staff and community..absolutely wonderful!! And again...if anyone who has been accepted wants to go to a different school, I'd be more than happy to take your spot 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys..Good Luck with your interviews on Saturday!! There is absolutely nothing to be nervous about...You'll love the school (gorgeous--from the outside that is), staff and community..absolutely wonderful!! And again...if anyone who has been accepted wants to go to a different school, I'd be more than happy to take your spot 😛

Lol... nice. Here's to the alternate list people.
 
March 26th Interviewers : I'm at the Phoenix Inn Suite! Who wants to meet up for dinner, and when?? 🙂
 
Hey there March 26 interviewers! Sorry I haven't checked back in until now. I would have liked to have met up with you guys this evening. I didn't get in until 9 PM though.

Anyways, I'll probably be the only red headed girl there tomorrow so feel free to come chat as we wait to get started!

Good luck to you all!
 
Last edited:
Hiya fellow March 26th interviewees:

I hope everyone returned to their homefronts safe and sound 🙂

Just wanted to say that it was a pleasure to meet y'all, although, I'm not exactly sure who matched with what SDN names (haha). Regardless, everyone was great with such positive energy...and I wish you all the very best! I hope the next approx. 2 weeks aren't TOO painful :xf:

-S
 
Last edited:
Hiya fellow March 26th interviewees:

I hope everyone returned to their homefronts safe and sound 🙂

Just wanted to say that it was a pleasure to meet y'all, although, I'm not exactly sure who matched with what SDN names (haha). Regardless, everyone was great with such positive energy...and I wish you all the very best! I hope the next approx. 2 weeks aren't TOO painful :xf:

-S


Agreed! It was great meeting everyone. I was really impressed by the faculty and staff as well as my fellow interviewees. Good luck to you guys.
 
I really really really really wanna go to school here...I called today to ask a pointless question that I already knew the answer to just so I could talk to admissions and have them remember my name....hopefully they put in my file that I am still interested and not that I waste their time with silly questions 😀....hmmmm....I wonder if I drive down there and just start hanging around if they'll think I'm a stalker or just very invested in going to school there....I'll just start walking around with a lab coat and some books...thats what they say right...fake it until you make it 😛
 
I really really really really wanna go to school here...I called today to ask a pointless question that I already knew the answer to just so I could talk to admissions and have them remember my name....hopefully they put in my file that I am still interested and not that I waste their time with silly questions 😀....hmmmm....I wonder if I drive down there and just start hanging around if they'll think I'm a stalker or just very invested in going to school there....I'll just start walking around with a lab coat and some books...thats what they say right...fake it until you make it 😛


Haha! Love the enthusiasm, best of luck to you and everyone else who interviewed last week. :luck:
 
I really really really really wanna go to school here...I called today to ask a pointless question that I already knew the answer to just so I could talk to admissions and have them remember my name....hopefully they put in my file that I am still interested and not that I waste their time with silly questions 😀....hmmmm....I wonder if I drive down there and just start hanging around if they'll think I'm a stalker or just very invested in going to school there....I'll just start walking around with a lab coat and some books...thats what they say right...fake it until you make it 😛

I took an acceptance at another program but I read this thread once in a while. Zann, I think you're hilarious and I'm REALLY rooting for you! Lol.

I'm too lazy to check out the past pages but I think you were in my interview group. This school is awesome and the community is amazing.

Good luck to everyone waiting on news! 🙂
 
I really really really really wanna go to school here...I called today to ask a pointless question that I already knew the answer to just so I could talk to admissions and have them remember my name....hopefully they put in my file that I am still interested and not that I waste their time with silly questions 😀....hmmmm....I wonder if I drive down there and just start hanging around if they'll think I'm a stalker or just very invested in going to school there....I'll just start walking around with a lab coat and some books...thats what they say right...fake it until you make it 😛

I feel you Zann. Man do I feel you. The class will probably be full after this last interview session, theoretically at least. Here's to hoping people get into their first choice schools, so we can get into ours. 🙂
 
Haha..thanks Torr and congrats!!! and James...let's storm the campus around May 15th 😀
 
Haha..thanks Torr and congrats!!! and James...let's storm the campus around May 15th 😀

lol.

I got a flier in my email stating I should check out western COMP information session, is it a good school? Oh wait. >.<
 
lol.

I got a flier in my email stating I should check out western COMP information session, is it a good school? Oh wait. >.<

Write a reply saying you've never heard of that school...that should throw 'em for a loop 😛
 
I just called Jess to see if the committee had finished reviewing applications already because I had some updates/extra LORs that I wanted to send. It looks like they have already met and made a decision for most March 26th interviewers! I was on team 3...I think it's done by teams.

Anyways, she said the letters for team 3 and the others that have been reviewed should go out today...and we will hear in the next 3 days or so!

Just thought I'd post it here since I'm sure everyone else is wondering when we will hear back! Looks like it'll be sooner than we thought! 🙂 :xf:

Good luck everyone!! :luck:
 
I just called Jess to see if the committee had finished reviewing applications already because I had some updates/extra LORs that I wanted to send. It looks like they have already met and made a decision for most March 26th interviewers! I was on team 3...I think it's done by teams.

Anyways, she said the letters for team 3 and the others that have been reviewed should go out today...and we will hear in the next 3 days or so!

Just thought I'd post it here since I'm sure everyone else is wondering when we will hear back! Looks like it'll be sooner than we thought! 🙂 :xf:

Good luck everyone!! :luck:

Thanks a bunch sbhatt for the info! 🙂

:xf:
 
How many of you saw this

"On March 12, 2011, the Western University of Health Sciences Board of Trustees approved the following annual tuition rate level for the 2011/2012 academic year: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: $47,515/year"

add in the technology fee and othe misc fees, and it looks to be around $50,000. giddy up
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many of you saw this

"On March 12, 2011, the Western University of Health Sciences Board of Trustees approved the following annual tuition rate level for the 2011/2012 academic year: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: $47,515/year"

add in the technology fee and othe misc fees, and it looks to be around $50,000. giddy up


I received that email too. I'm not that surprised really. Their California campus is about the same price.
 
I received that email too. I'm not that surprised really. Their California campus is about the same price.

Now that i reread the email, that is the CA campus. I think the cost of living is lower, etc for the OR campus, i wonder if the tuition there would be lower too. Hrm... In any case, get ready for those letters!
 
Got my acceptance last week! I'm so excited! Good luck to those of you who are still waiting on a decision. Hopefully I'll see ya in July!
 
Thanks! And no, they called me. They actually left a voicemail because I was at work, but Dr. Pham called me yesterday as a follow up (they sure are good salespeople!).

I did tell them during my interview that I had other acceptances, so that could be the reason they were so prompt with my decision.

Did you interview with me (March 26)?

Best of luck to you!!
 
Thanks! And no, they called me. They actually left a voicemail because I was at work, but Dr. Pham called me yesterday as a follow up (they sure are good salespeople!).

I did tell them during my interview that I had other acceptances, so that could be the reason they were so prompt with my decision.

Did you interview with me (March 26)?

Best of luck to you!!


Congratulations adb!!
 
Thanks! And no, they called me. They actually left a voicemail because I was at work, but Dr. Pham called me yesterday as a follow up (they sure are good salespeople!).

I did tell them during my interview that I had other acceptances, so that could be the reason they were so prompt with my decision.

Did you interview with me (March 26)?

Best of luck to you!!

Yeah, I interviewed on that day as well, but I haven't heard anything yet.......omg, I'm freaking out now since you've heard, but has anyone else heard anything from them, I wonder...? I hope they just called you earlier than the rest of us because you do have other acceptances. Anyway, thanks for the luck, I need it! Hahaha 🙂
 
Yeah, I interviewed on that day as well, but I haven't heard anything yet.......omg, I'm freaking out now since you've heard, but has anyone else heard anything from them, I wonder...? I hope they just called you earlier than the rest of us because you do have other acceptances. Anyway, thanks for the luck, I need it! Hahaha 🙂

Just give them a call...if they have made a decision they will be able to give it to you over the phone...thats what I did
 
I emailed Jess yesterday, and she replied back this morning that my team is the only team left that hasn't been decided on yet. That kinda gives me hope, I HOPE they pick me! Lol :laugh:
 
I emailed Jess yesterday, and she replied back this morning that my team is the only team left that hasn't been decided on yet. That kinda gives me hope, I HOPE they pick me! Lol :laugh:


Best of luck!! :xf:
 
Oh, I never asked, how was the interview day? How many people were there? Were you guys interviewed by future staff or is it still guests from the medical field?
 
Oh, I never asked, how was the interview day? How many people were there? Were you guys interviewed by future staff or is it still guests from the medical field?

Interview day was good overall, but I did have a bit of an emotional time with my interview 🙁 I was interviewed by medical professionals from outside the school, but I think Dr. Burke works with Western as well. The school is really nice! I'm really hoping to get in! I hope to hear from them soon! 🙂
 
Oh, I never asked, how was the interview day? How many people were there? Were you guys interviewed by future staff or is it still guests from the medical field?


I felt like this was one of my worst interviews this cycle. I had 4 people interview me and at all my other interviews, it's just been two interviewers. It was awkward responding to 4 people and trying to make eye contact with all of them. However, I think it's just personal preference...I happen to like smaller interviews! I had 2 physicians (one of whom is involved with the school), one person from admissions in Pomona, and one person from the community. I believe there were 37 applicants who interviewed on the 26th.
 
@sbhatt85 - I'm just curious, have you heard back from the school yet? I still haven't 🙁...I hope they make a decision on my team soon! I was in Team 2.
 
@sbhatt85 - I'm just curious, have you heard back from the school yet? I still haven't 🙁...I hope they make a decision on my team soon! I was in Team 2.

Nope, I still haven't heard anything. I called last week and Jeannie said that the committee was meeting that day and would make a decision and that I should hear from them in 3 days. I didn't get anything in the mail and saw on here that some people were calling them and asking for a decision over the phone.

Well, I tried that today and she said that a decision hasn't been made yet?! I have no idea what to expect...I'm a little worried because maybe they only tell you if you are accepted over the phone?? I really hope that I get in because I really liked this school a lot! :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, I still haven't heard anything. I called last week and Jeannie said that the committee was meeting that day and would make a decision and that I should hear from them in 3 days. I didn't get anything in the mail and saw on here that some people were calling them and asking for a decision over the phone.

Well, I tried that today and she said that a decision hasn't been made yet?! I have no idea what to expect...I'm a little worried because maybe they only tell you if you are accepted over the phone?? I really hope that I get in because I really liked this school a lot! :xf:

I know that they tell you other than just accepted status over the phone. I would assume that they are VERY busy and it is possible the meeting (for making decisions on groups 1-3) might have been pushed back, etc. I think Jeannie meant that a decision hasn't been made when she said "a decision hasn't been made." Just relax a bit, everything that can be done has been done. It's all a waiting game now.
 
I hate waiting, lol. Anyway, I know that if you call them, then they can tell you what your status is over the phone. But if they call you, then it's them telling you that you are accepted. Well, that's my understanding of this phone tag game.

And I am totally on the same page with you worrying. I've been anxious for over a week, lack of sleep and heart pangs and everything (hahaha). But like JamesLMT said, it's all a waiting game now. I hope we both hear back from them soon though!! :xf:
 
Do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to call them tomorrow regarding my status? I don't want to bother them too much (I've already been emailing Jess at least once a week), especially if they're still deciding. But I feel like we should know something by now, especially since others already know their own status.

@sbhatt85 - Did they ever take your updates/extra LORs? I have one that I want to send, but I don't know if they'll even take it now. Thanks!
 
Do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to call them tomorrow regarding my status? I don't want to bother them too much (I've already been emailing Jess at least once a week), especially if they're still deciding. But I feel like we should know something by now, especially since others already know their own status.

@sbhatt85 - Did they ever take your updates/extra LORs? I have one that I want to send, but I don't know if they'll even take it now. Thanks!

I'd say chances are pretty good that they will have a decision tomorrow, I'd wait until the afternoon to call..and if they haven't decided I guess its gotta be rough about now...they are making the decision for the very last few spots in their inaugural class..decisions have got to be tough! Best of luck to you all and again, please consider other schools..holla to the alternates 😀
 
Lol, okay, I'll wait. And yes, I totally encourage those who have been accepted elsewhere to go to those schools 😀:laugh: This was my first interview. I have another in AZ, but it's for a waitlist position 🙁, so I really want to get into Western if I become an alternate.

@Zann - In one of my emails to Jess, I asked her about the alternate list and if they accept people for 2012. She told me that while the alternate list is only for 2011, they "may accept" some students for 2012. I hope that "may" becomes something more affirmative 🙂