Western COMP vs ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr_asdrubal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been fortunate enough to receive a few acceptances and I am trying to make a decision between schools.

Western COMP
Pros
  • Closer to family/friends; not a huge change in terms of having to uproot my life
  • Most people match back into CA which is another plus for me
  • Established school with a good track record
  • In a bigger city so potentially more opportunities for research from surrounding universities
Cons
  • Clinical rotation sites have been getting taken over by other schools or dropped entirely d/t pandemic (?)

ACOM
Pros
  • School is only composed of medical school so faculty can give full attention to us
  • Sold themselves very well during the interview day and seems like a strong program as well
  • Seems to have well-established clinical rotations that will prepare you well for residency and beyond

Cons
  • Would have to uproot my life to a small town in AL where I'd be much further away from friends/family
  • Not as established as COMP

Overall, both schools seem to have strong programs but I am still leaning heavily towards Western COMP as it wouldn't be much of a change for me and it's a well-known school in CA that will set me up well for matching into residency. I am however greatly concerned with the quality of clinical rotations as I've been hearing that the school has lost sites to other schools or dropped them entirely. I am interested in some kind of surgical specialty at the moment, so I would like to set myself up for success as best I can.

Would love to hear input from 3rd and 4th year students especially! Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.