Western Elective Bad Experience

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mahk, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Mahk

Medical Student
    A little while ago I rotated at Western for an elective. Since then I've completed most of my other away electives and the differences are just stark. Even though I'm a very polite and responsible person (so I tried not to stay out of other peoples business and just do my job as well as possible), I just couldn't believe how some of the doctors treated the patients and visiting students-like garbage!

In particular, there was one doctor in charge of the visiting students (Endocrinology dept, London, ON) that make the rudest gestures and comments about the overweight patients (half the patients have diabetes....which is why there were put in her care....so that shouldn't be a shock to her). She constantly made condescending comments about GPs and anyone not from Western. It was just unbelievable... anyway, I'm just writing this because after all my rotations, I hadn't seen anyone quite as bad as that and wanted to say that it's not normal. If I said anything, no matter how polite, she would bark at me like an an angry dog. Just unbelievable.

I'll keep this short but stay away from Western!!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. onelastpuff23

Thanks for your comments. But these are comments you should tell Western staff. They need to make sure their staff are professional. I would do it anonymously as well.

4. Mahk

Medical Student
    I would have if there was some way to give feedback on anything, but they just don't want to hear it. Anyway, I wanted to leave this here in case it was useful to someone.

5. onelastpuff23

Tell your home university They should helph

6. sidefx

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think it's really fair to generalize the entire program based on one bad attending... you can always find a few horribly rotten apples at every program.

7. Dr_Kat_Lady

Medical Student
    I hear ya

8. Medstart108

Resident [Any Field]
    That was not my experience or anyone I know's experience at Western. I think you were just really unfortunate.

9. Dr_Kat_Lady

Medical Student
    I beg to differ. My experience was unfortunately very similar even though I didn't go the extra effort to start a post about it. It was kind of comforting that it wasn't just me, actually. If you had a better one then maybe you were lucky.

Mahk likes this.
  10. Mahk

Medical Student
    I was so disgusted by the way things were done but I kept my cool the whole way through because that's really hard to come into as a visiting student. I'm sorry you had to see something like that too. Actually, I'm REALLY sorry for the patients.

memberberries likes this.
  11. Medstart108

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't disagree with this post but I do disagree with the comment "stay away from Western". You are making a conclusion your paragraph does not support.

I know a lot of medical students who did electives there since I am from a Canadian medical school. I've never heard of anything like this. Each elective is different. Unfortunately, sometimes, you do end up with bad preceptors and they exist at every school. I can assure you that the majority of preceptors are not bad, however there are some at every school who have ways of thinking and acting that are not healthy, I myself have experienced these bad preceptors through medical school.

To those who are reading this thread, do electives where you can and where you want to go, don't let anecdotal evidence stop you. I think the take home message of this should be that not electives go as well as you would have liked and it is very very preceptor dependent.

12. memberberries

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Dr. Charlotte McDonald Yup!!! Same thing while I was there. Honestly, the other physicians and fellows didn't fall far from there but I can see what you mean...same thing while I was there and she would not quit on the GP comments, nor the patient specific insults. It makes me wonder what exactly she was saying about me but I'm sure I could guess. She is the poor but proud Canadian system embodied. Inefficient, insulting, and racist.