SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Western Elective Bad Experience

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Mahk, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Mahk

Mahk

Feb 3, 2018
    A little while ago I rotated at Western for an elective. Since then I've completed most of my other away electives and the differences are just stark. Even though I'm a very polite and responsible person (so I tried not to stay out of other peoples business and just do my job as well as possible), I just couldn't believe how some of the doctors treated the patients and visiting students-like garbage!

In particular, there was one doctor in charge of the visiting students (Endocrinology dept, London, ON) that make the rudest gestures and comments about the overweight patients (half the patients have diabetes....which is why there were put in her care....so that shouldn't be a shock to her). She constantly made condescending comments about GPs and anyone not from Western. It was just unbelievable... anyway, I'm just writing this because after all my rotations, I hadn't seen anyone quite as bad as that and wanted to say that it's not normal. If I said anything, no matter how polite, she would bark at me like an an angry dog. Just unbelievable.

I'll keep this short but stay away from Western!!!!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. onelastpuff23

onelastpuff23 5+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Thanks for your comments. But these are comments you should tell Western staff. They need to make sure their staff are professional. I would do it anonymously as well.

4. Mahk

Mahk

Feb 3, 2018
    I would have if there was some way to give feedback on anything, but they just don't want to hear it. Anyway, I wanted to leave this here in case it was useful to someone.

5. onelastpuff23

onelastpuff23 5+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Tell your home university They should helph

6. sidefx

sidefx 5+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2012
    I don't think it's really fair to generalize the entire program based on one bad attending... you can always find a few horribly rotten apples at every program.

7. Dr_Kat_Lady

Dr_Kat_Lady

Nov 26, 2016
    I hear ya

8. Medstart108

Medstart108 5+ Year Member

Mar 24, 2012
    That was not my experience or anyone I know's experience at Western. I think you were just really unfortunate.

9. Dr_Kat_Lady

Dr_Kat_Lady

Nov 26, 2016
    I beg to differ. My experience was unfortunately very similar even though I didn't go the extra effort to start a post about it. It was kind of comforting that it wasn't just me, actually. If you had a better one then maybe you were lucky.

Mahk likes this.
  10. Mahk

Mahk

Feb 3, 2018
    I was so disgusted by the way things were done but I kept my cool the whole way through because that's really hard to come into as a visiting student. I'm sorry you had to see something like that too. Actually, I'm REALLY sorry for the patients.