Western Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steel_City

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to send a post for those wondering what's going at West Penn. Because I do a significant number of my rotations in the Pittsburgh area, I'm around a lot of people who have insight on this situation. The residents at Mercy Hospital are very sad to see Dr. Troianos leave to chair West Penn. I have complete faith that he'll put together a dynamite program that was much better than the one already there. Seriously, people love this guy. He's basically been given the go-ahead by the hospital to put together an "all-star" line-up of doctors. He's taking the best-of-the-best from Mercy and will have atleast two board examiners. For those who have interviewed there, I think you should definately keep this place in mind if you like the city and want to be at a smaller program. I think they take 8 per year or so. Seriously though, I really think this is a diamond in the ruff and it will definately be high on my list and I'll rank it higher than other bigger-name places on my list. The hospital has incredible facilities and the residents get tons of cases with transplants at Alleghany General Hospital. Let me know if you have any questions about this program and I'll do my best to answer them.

Members don't see this ad.

Steel_City said:
The hospital has incredible facilities and the residents get tons of cases with transplants at Alleghany General Hospital. Let me know if you have any questions about this program and I'll do my best to answer them.

and it's fun over at AGH :) the gas attendings there (at least the ones i know that are staying there) are good people, and the ancillary staff in the PACU are a fun bunch.

What ever came about with the gas docs at West Penn who were going to leave come February 1st?

Most of them are leaving (or have already left). There are a few that the hospital offered sweet deals to for them to stay. From now on, the faculty will be funded by the hospital. There's going to be a huge turnover and a period of adjustment for the program, but it'll be much stronger when it's all said and done. The best part is that it's going to be a program with happy residents and a chill group of people from the faculty down.