Western Regional Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wide_smile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the WREB in less than two weeks and I don't have any other patient options. I have a pt that has a Class II DO on #20.The problem is that #18 consists of root tips (being extracted tomorrow) and #17 is only partially erupted.
So where should I place a rubber dam clamp? I couldn't place it on #17 when I tried before. Can I place it on #19 even though it might hinder me when I'm prepping #20 DO?
ANY suggestions would be really helpful. Unfortunately the rubber dam and isolation is 20% of the preparation grade and 11.5% of the total grade for that tooth. I can't afford to lose too many points right off the bat (and these points are supposed to be a gimme)
Are there any special clamps for partially erupted third molars?!! PLEASE reply with your suggestions...

Members don't see this ad.

No one has any suggestions? :(

Perhaps you could try it on 19 and see how it goes. If the clamp is getting in the way the only option I can think of is to remove the clamp and ligate 19 cervically with dental floss. Clamp 21 on the other end.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I placed a small clamp on #19 - it was no where near the interproximal area. Is it technically correct to place a clamp on #19 when a more distal tooth - #17 is available? (although I wasn't able to clamp it b/c its only partially erupted)

Hello,
I had same problem last time when I took the board.I just prepared tooth with out rubberdam and I placed dam before sending patient for prep grading.I removed dam again while filling(since we dont have time constraint,It worked out well)

Megha

wide_smile said:
When I placed a small clamp on #19 - it was no where near the interproximal area. Is it technically correct to place a clamp on #19 when a more distal tooth - #17 is available? (although I wasn't able to clamp it b/c its only partially erupted)

I don't see why not. If you can't place a dam then you can't place a dam. Placing on a partially erupted tooth might be more (not might, IS more) hassle than going without the dam.

right now i'm in d. school on the east coast but want to take the western reg boards. what would be some difficulties for the avg student from an east coast school taking that test? help a newby out.

If you're from the east coast, I'd recommend taking the WREB at a school on the east coast. Unless you know someone here, it is incredibly difficult to find patients. Even if you do know someone here, the patients ask for $500 or more to show up for your exam. When I took the NERB, my patients were happy to get $200!!!
The unique things about the WREB are - 2 Class II's instead of 1 Class II and 1 Class III and an endo section where you have to obturate one real anterior tooth and one canal of a posterior tooth.

wide_smile said:
I'm taking the WREB in less than two weeks and I don't have any other patient options. I have a pt that has a Class II DO on #20.The problem is that #18 consists of root tips (being extracted tomorrow) and #17 is only partially erupted.
So where should I place a rubber dam clamp? I couldn't place it on #17 when I tried before. Can I place it on #19 even though it might hinder me when I'm prepping #20 DO?
ANY suggestions would be really helpful. Unfortunately the rubber dam and isolation is 20% of the preparation grade and 11.5% of the total grade for that tooth. I can't afford to lose too many points right off the bat (and these points are supposed to be a gimme)
Are there any special clamps for partially erupted third molars?!! PLEASE reply with your suggestions...

Yes, there is a special clamp for partially erupted teeth. Try the "tiger clamp" by Ivory. Good luck on your exam!

wide_smile said:
If you're from the east coast, I'd recommend taking the WREB at a school on the east coast. Unless you know someone here, it is incredibly difficult to find patients. Even if you do know someone here, the patients ask for $500 or more to show up for your exam. When I took the NERB, my patients were happy to get $200!!!
The unique things about the WREB are - 2 Class II's instead of 1 Class II and 1 Class III and an endo section where you have to obturate one real anterior tooth and one canal of a posterior tooth.
thanks!! even tho i don't really know what your'e talking abt, its good to start finding out. thanks again!

If you are going to use the tiger clamp (Ivory) for the partially erupted #17, make sure you practice doing it on your patient several times before taking him to the WREB. That way, you'd be confident and comfortable (as much as possible) during the exam. Again, good luck!

wide_smile said:

I believe that crown preps are also allowed now (or will be this coming year).

Crown preps are not allowed but you can opt to do a Class II cast gold inlay/onlay if you want... The main concern would be that you have to take a perfect impression and the lab has to make a perfect restoration or you're in trouble!!!