1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Western Regional Boards

Discussion in 'Dental' started by wide_smile, Dec 2, 2005.

1. wide_smile

wide_smile Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm taking the WREB in less than two weeks and I don't have any other patient options. I have a pt that has a Class II DO on #20.The problem is that #18 consists of root tips (being extracted tomorrow) and #17 is only partially erupted.
    So where should I place a rubber dam clamp? I couldn't place it on #17 when I tried before. Can I place it on #19 even though it might hinder me when I'm prepping #20 DO?
    ANY suggestions would be really helpful. Unfortunately the rubber dam and isolation is 20% of the preparation grade and 11.5% of the total grade for that tooth. I can't afford to lose too many points right off the bat (and these points are supposed to be a gimme)
    Are there any special clamps for partially erupted third molars?!! PLEASE reply with your suggestions...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wide_smile

wide_smile Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No one has any suggestions? :(

4. prechilill

prechilill Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Perhaps you could try it on 19 and see how it goes. If the clamp is getting in the way the only option I can think of is to remove the clamp and ligate 19 cervically with dental floss. Clamp 21 on the other end.

5. wide_smile

wide_smile Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    When I placed a small clamp on #19 - it was no where near the interproximal area. Is it technically correct to place a clamp on #19 when a more distal tooth - #17 is available? (although I wasn't able to clamp it b/c its only partially erupted)

6. Hello,
    I had same problem last time when I took the board.I just prepared tooth with out rubberdam and I placed dam before sending patient for prep grading.I removed dam again while filling(since we dont have time constraint,It worked out well)

Megha

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't see why not. If you can't place a dam then you can't place a dam. Placing on a partially erupted tooth might be more (not might, IS more) hassle than going without the dam.

8. Halitosis

10+ Year Member

right now i'm in d. school on the east coast but want to take the western reg boards. what would be some difficulties for the avg student from an east coast school taking that test? help a newby out.

9. wide_smile

wide_smile Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If you're from the east coast, I'd recommend taking the WREB at a school on the east coast. Unless you know someone here, it is incredibly difficult to find patients. Even if you do know someone here, the patients ask for $500 or more to show up for your exam. When I took the NERB, my patients were happy to get $200!!!
    The unique things about the WREB are - 2 Class II's instead of 1 Class II and 1 Class III and an endo section where you have to obturate one real anterior tooth and one canal of a posterior tooth.

10. Nanofill

Nanofill Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yes, there is a special clamp for partially erupted teeth. Try the "tiger clamp" by Ivory. Good luck on your exam!

11. Halitosis

10+ Year Member

thanks!! even tho i don't really know what your'e talking abt, its good to start finding out. thanks again!

12. Nanofill

Nanofill Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    If you are going to use the tiger clamp (Ivory) for the partially erupted #17, make sure you practice doing it on your patient several times before taking him to the WREB. That way, you'd be confident and comfortable (as much as possible) during the exam. Again, good luck!

13. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I believe that crown preps are also allowed now (or will be this coming year).

14. wide_smile

wide_smile Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Crown preps are not allowed but you can opt to do a Class II cast gold inlay/onlay if you want... The main concern would be that you have to take a perfect impression and the lab has to make a perfect restoration or you're in trouble!!!