Western U books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpm2016tx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know which books are used for Gross Anatomy, Head and neck anatomy and MCBM at western. Appreciate it.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The only book you need for Gross and head & neck is Netter's. But for MCBM you don't need to buy any books. The power points are sufficient.

The only book you need for Gross and head & neck is Netter's. But for MCBM you don't need to buy any books. The power points are sufficient.

I agree. Netters Atlas is all you really need for Gross and H&N although the professors also pull a lot of pictures from Thieme so that's an option too.

MCBM- don't buy anything

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming your gross anatomy will have a lab portion. I attend DMU, but I think some of the concepts in studying the subject will probably extend to other schools as well.

A lot of second years recommended the dead book (I don't know the actual name off the top of my head) with pictures of perfectly dissected cadavers. This book was absolutely useless to me. It's nice to have pictures, but it's horribly organized and you'll spend about as long looking for a dissection with the structure you need as you will studying it's anatomical location.

I found Anatomy and Physiology Revealed to be a fantastic resource. Full body dissections of everything on your computer, and can be done layer by layer. It gives innervations, blood supply, actions of muscles. It shows nerves, muscles, lymphatics, blood vessels, glands, etc. By far the most useful resource I've found for any class since I've been at school.

Thank you all for your replies and time. Does anyone have all the slides downloaded and email me? That would be great help. Again Thank you and appreciate your time.

[email protected]

I used Netter's, Thieme, and the Dead Body Book (Rohen). I also used the Netter and Rohen flashcards. I found the Rohen was invaluable when it came to the lab portion -especially the flash cards. I sold my Netter after the boards and have kept Thieme.

For MCBM I used Lippincott's Biochemistry. Although some previous posters said not to buy anything for MCBM, I will disagree. Lippincott's is extremely useful for studying for the boards and sometime those PowerPoint slides get very old and boring -it's nice to change it up for a bit, especially when you are having a hard time understanding a concept.