Subject based (Midwestern) vs systems based teaching (Western) approach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarbieDPM

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to decide between Midwestern and Western. I loved my interview with Midwestern and was impressed by their high board pass rates. However, I like the curriculum Western teaches. They do blocks and a 2 pass system with the 1st-year focus: Normal functions of the body, health, and wellness and 2nd-year focus: Restoration of health, diagnosis, and treatment. (I feel like this way may be nice because it'll help me apply what I am learning. For example, if I'm doing the cardio/renal block I'll learn all the pharm, biochem, and physiology for the heart at once.)

While Midwestern does subject-based classes like Anatomy, biochemistry, etc. I think of this as a traditional school that I am used to studying for.

Overall, I would love to hear from podiatry students from both Midwestern and Western on how they like the teaching style and how they study for it.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Following - I am wondering as well. Have you looked at the medical student forums? I believe there are a few medical schools that use the systems based approach as well.

The two pass system from Western definitely helps reinforce the material from the first year and the new stuff from the second year. For example, we learn normal cardio/renal/pulm anatomy and physiology during the first year, and then the second year would be pathology, pharm, and pathophysiology. This learning system ultimately helps with recall, especially when it's time to study for board exams. If there are any specific questions, feel free to reach out to me privately.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently trying to decide between Midwestern and Western. I loved my interview with Midwestern and was impressed by their high board pass rates. However, I like the curriculum Western teaches. They do blocks and a 2 pass system with the 1st-year focus: Normal functions of the body, health, and wellness and 2nd-year focus: Restoration of health, diagnosis, and treatment. (I feel like this way may be nice because it'll help me apply what I am learning. For example, if I'm doing the cardio/renal block I'll learn all the pharm, biochem, and physiology for the heart at once.)

While Midwestern does subject-based classes like Anatomy, biochemistry, etc. I think of this as a traditional school that I am used to studying for.

Overall, I would love to hear from podiatry students from both Midwestern and Western on how they like the teaching style and how they study for it.

Thank you in advance!
As a 4th year who is just finishing up externships - ARIZONA for sure!!! Having worked with a lot of Arizona students - they are tremendous in the clinic and know their didactic material amazingly. I have heard a lot of complaints from Western students about not knowing lower anatomy when it comes to boards studying. I am beyond impressed with all of the Arizona students.

Reactions: 1 user