Western U.COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickCVM

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found this site. I LOVE it. It seems like I will be going to COMP next fall. I've already canceled most of my other Interviews ( TCOM, PSCOM...) because I realy liked the school. Whoever is going with me next fall, PLEASE let yourself be known so that maybe we could get in touch. Thanks.
Nicolas

Members don't see this ad.

Nick--

I was accepted to COMP in October and sent my deposit in immediately for next fall. Similar to your situation, I canceled interviews with schools (CCOM and AZCOM), but I did go to TUCOM. I am very excited and look forward to talking to others headed to COMP.

JY

Hey JY, Thanks for the reply
It's good to hear from somebody who will be going to the same school as me. I don't know if you are from California or not but I'm out of state ( WAY out of state ). It's going to be a "Hell of a mouve". If you have any inputs on the good places to live, not to far from the school, I would greatly appreciate it. By the way, how was TUCOM? the only reason I didn't go "visit" is bc/ I was already accepted at COMP and loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nick and JY,

Good to hear that you guys are going to COMP also. I'm very excited about the school, I spent a week down there (about 2 weeks ago) and I know that I belong at that school. Are you guys planning on going to the retreat at Lake Arrowhead at the end of July? It is supposed to be very cool, the 2nd year class is our host and it is an opportunity to meet our classmates and some of the upperclassmen and faculty. In regards to housing, I hear that Claremont and Upland are nice places to live, and are very close to campus. Send me an e-mail if you guys want to talk more about COMP. My e-mail is [email protected].

EDGAR

Hey Edgar

Thanks for the Housing info. I can't wait until school starts. As for the retreat, I'm planing on going. I figure that its a good way to meet everybody.
Keep in touch, Nicolas

I have an interview at COMP at the end of
the month does anyone have any sugestions?

Thanks in advance.

Premed1

Hey Premed 1
My Interview at COMP was a real cool experience. The faculty and the students were extremely friendly. The Interviewing process itself lasted about 30min ( I had 2 faculty members and 1 person?? from admissions interviewing me at the same time-). They asked me a tone of questions ( you can email me if you want, I'll try to be more specific). Most questions were designed to find out who I really was and then some to find out if I knew anything about the current health care realated issues, OMT (pro/cons) etc...
Then, you get to have lunch with 2 ms1 students and are encouraged to ask any questions that my be of your concern - but more than anything you get a "first hand opinion" about what the school is about.
well, anyway I hope this helped answear some of your questions- Good luck - Let us know what hapends- Nicolas-

Premed 1--

Everything that Nick has told you is true. I am just writing to wish you good luck on your COMP interview . . . and you can also e-mail me if you have any questions.

JY

Anyone accepted to COMP--

Is anyone going to do the Summer Anatomy program?

JY

[This message has been edited by JY (edited 01-06-99).]

HI

I am also going to interview at COMP. I am particularly interested in the format of the 'group interrogation.' Did the admissions office provide you with any info re: who was interviewing you prior to the interview? Did one person ask more questions than others?

Any descriptions of the experience would be helpful. Briefly, I was mystified by how pleasant KCOM made their interviewing experience.

Thanx.

[This message has been edited by cliff (edited 01-07-99).]

Cliff,

I interviewed at COMP and was accepted in November. My interview was VERY low stress and was actually quite pleasant. There were 3 interviewers: 2 professors and the director of admissions (I didn't realize this until afterwards!). They asked no ethical questions, just questions about my background, why COMP, why DO and why I wanted a career change. I can't stress enough how comfortable they all made me feel. Each interviewer asked me questions, but the admissions director asked the most. My advice to you is simply to review your application (interview is open file) and be able to explain your reasons for choosing osteopathic medicine. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how easy it is. Oh, yes they do tell you who your interviewers are. In my case, my interview was at 2:30 and we got our list of interviewers around noon. They had 2 interview panels - 1 for the morning interviews and 1 for the afternoon. Don't be nervous, you'll do just fine. Good luck!

Stef

[This message has been edited by Kansai (edited 01-07-99).]

Hey JY
I was tempted for a while about taking the summer anatomy pro. but after a lot of debate I decided to stay home for that summer. However It must be a real advantage to know that you have 80% of Anatomy out of the way. Let me know if you are going.
Nicolas

Hi,

Any recomendations on where to stay during the interview. Also, I interview on Thursday and don't leave till Sat. What can I do in the Pomona/LA area for fun. I hear their is a ski resort about 1 1/2 hrs away.
Thanks,

Premed1

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey premed1
My biggest concern wh/ I went down too Pomona for my interview was to find a safe and reasonable($) place to stay. You should have received a list of Hotels. I chose the "hilltops"?! or something like that - it was really cool. They even picked me up from the Airport then drove me too COMP in the morning, picked me up after my interview and drove back to the airport.
As far as fun things to do around there, I wouldn't know. Maybe one of the "locals" could answear that.
Good luck on your interview. Let us know what happends. -Nicolas-

Guys,

I am NOT an LA/POMONA local but my friends are who I stayed with during my interview. Let's see, Santa Monica is cool because it is close to UCLA and the beach. There is an open mall called the Promenade which is interesting. Personally, I like Orange County. If you are bored you could go to Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm (I think there are better places to spend your money). Try to go out to the Irvine Spectrum in Irvine, they have a cool 20 screen theater, lots of good places to eat (like Johnny Rockets), and BEST OF ALL, Sega City. Wall to wall video games, but watch your wallet because they are expensive. You might even luck out and see "Loveline", they seem to ask people questions there a lot. I'd suggest concentrating on your interview, and then party hardy after it is over. Have fun, they are really a great bunch of people at COMP, that is how I got sold on the school.

EDGAR

Do any of those headed to COMP know where the 3rd and 4th years are going to be? I've heard that they are trying to start a new program with all rotations nearby the school.

JY

As a 3rd and 4th year, you will do rotation blocks at one of a number of local hospitals. COMP is currently working on moving the DO school to San Bernardino County Med Center -- I imagine more rotations will be done there once that happens. But I wouldn't worry about rotations until your second year.

Good luck at COMP!

------------------
Lee Burnett, DO

[This message has been edited by Lee A Burnett (edited 01-16-99).]

COMP folks,

At my interview one of the students mentioned that COMP has been working on a hospital affiliation with a general hospital in Upland. Dr. Burnett, is the Pomona Valley Medical Center a clerkship site affiliated with COMP? I believe it is an MD hospital affiliated with UCLA or UCI. Also, you said that COMP is thinking about moving its campus facilities to San Bernadino County Med or just the COMP-affiliated clinics?

Guys, I just went to the annual Cal State University Research Symposium in Cal Poly Pomona. I got excited when we were heading west on the 10 Freeway from Ontario airport and saw the freeway sign: "Exit for Western University of Health Sciences." I kept pointing at the sign and telling my friends to look at it! From all the positive responses from fellow students at the conference, it is a very good school. The only drawback in my eyes is the absolutely awful pollution, I believe it is the worst in all of LA except in Riverside County. In fact, air-conditioning in my rental car seemed to intensify the stinky pollution into my lungs.

Take care guys,

EDGAR

hey guys,
Do you know when WCOMP stops interviewing. My file is complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee. What's my chance of still being invited for an interview? WCOMP is one of my top choices. Last time I checked, interview dates are being filled for Feb. Does anyone already have their dates set after Feb.?
Tnanks for replying.

DJ--

I don't know how long COMP interviews are offered, but I do know that if you get one your chances of acceptance are good (assuming you can hold a conversation and don't come across crazy or anything). Have you applied to any other schools or heard anything from anyone else? If COMP is the only school you've applied to or is definitely your first choice, I'd write their admissions committee a letter stating the situation.

Are you from CA? Good luck with your application.

JY

Hey DJ
I know that COMP uses a rolling cycle during their admission process - meaning that they accept people until their class is full. You might want to call them and inquire about that. Also most if not all of the Interviews are done before Jan. 15- at least that's the impression I got from their letters.
If you know anybody with "influence" ( Sen. Governor, Dean etc..)- It might help if they call/write to the school in your favor. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything but this late in the application cycle you are going to need every bit of help you can get.
If you want to discuss this always feel free to e-mail me.
Good luck to you- Nicolas--

JY+NickCVM,
Thanks for replying. Yes, I'm a CA res. I'll send update letters to the 4 schools that I'm applying to. WCOMP is definitely my first choice. I was so late in the applic. process because I was screwed by the AACOMAS. I should have fininished all my secondaries around early Dec. I was very impressed by their osteo. conference and the
WCOMP people(administrators and students).
NickCVM, I was reading your prior posts and you're from out of state? From where? You must have great stats to get into WCOMP as an out-of-stater.

Hey DJ
I live in TN but am originally from France.
As far as my stats, I don't know if they are as great as you might think. I did good in college and on the MCAT but I think that voluntearing and working in the medical field for a couple of years is what got me in Western U. ( I know they prefer CA residents ).
see ya- Nicolas--

PS: applying late in the admission's cycle is always harder but hang in there and you'll get in - good luck--

It's volunteer not voluntear-Sorry --Oups...

Hi-

Regarding Pomona Valley -- it has a family medicine program (I believe a UCLA sponsored program) at the facility. COMP has regularly scheduled rotations at Pomona Valley in the Emergency Department. It's a great rotation.

In response to your question on San Bernardino and the med school -- my understanding is that eventually the entire osteopathic medical school will be moved there. WesternU is expanding exponentially -- they have a new PharmD school and will soon start a vet school -- they'll need the space created by moving the DO program.

Dr. Burnett,

Thank you for the reply. It seems like an exciting time to be attending WesternU / COMP! I'm very excited about attending COMP in the fall, the school seems to be growing in size as well as reputation. I was also wondering how early do med students get exposed to patients? All the book learning in the first year is definitely going to make me yearn for some clinical exposure.

Thanks,

EDGAR

Hey Edgar
There is limited 1st year clinical exposure but it's there. I think that it is scheduled right after Chris. break. The students I talked to dought said that there was a lot of opportunity to volunteer at the clinic.
--Nicolas--

Hey y'all,

Do any of you guys know of any 3rd or 4th years that are doing their rotations at the San Bernadino County Medical Center (COMP's primary teaching hospital). The catalog said they had opened the new hospital Fall of 1998. I was just wondering if the new facilities are living up to the expectations for them. I can't wait to check out the hospital myself!

EDGAR

Nick,

Thanks for the 411. I think you, JY, and myself will be so swamped with biochem, physio, anatomy, etc. that we probably won't even have the time to work in the clinic! But there is still a twinge of hope for me that we will at least have a little clinical exposure during the 1st term if anything, to give us some context of how our book learning is going to apply to patient care.

EDGAR

Hey ya'll
I agree with Edgar. We will most likely not have any time to volunteer/work the 1st year but the 2nd year students I talked to when I was down there, apparently did.
Were any of you left with the impression that the curriculum at COMP is really clinicly oriented? I was. It seems that the major purpose of the "organ system" teaching, is to integrate the basic sciences with the actual clinical facts. I could be wrong about that, so any input would be appreciated.
--Nicolas-

When I was at the Nov. Osteo. Awareness Conference, Dr. Jimmie Hicks, assoc. dean of basic sciences and research, talked about the possible implementation of Clinical Med. during the ICM week(second semester of 1st yr). I think it's only a week worth of clinical med. though.

DJ

Nick,

Yes, the systems-based cirriculum was a major selling point for me on COMP. I like that, each organ system is correlated with biochemistry, histology, pharmacology, etc. I think this method will help us retain the information because we will be able to correlate it to clinical topics. In fact, the morning of my interview I attended an excellent lecture on myocardial infarction, since the 2nd years were learning the cardiovascular system. The thing that really impressed me about the lecturer was that he was a D.O. and did his residency at the Cleveland Clinic. But what I think that really makes COMP stand out is the elective courses you can take in "humanistic" subjects. That's really impressive, they want to not only teach you the science of medicine, but also the art of medicine. So, are you guys getting stir crazy yet? I can't wait to start school, even though I know we are gonna get killed by the sheer volume of material!

Later guys,

EDGAR