Western U secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waverunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a quick question on the LOR for WesternU.
As many of you know, WesternU provides a form for LOR. However, it also says (at the bottom of the form) that we do not have to use this form and we can just use regular letterhead. I was wondering how you guys went about getting the LOR in.

What I am thinking of doing is I am thinking of asking my professors to fill out the form and then attach the LOR that they wrote for me for other med schools.

What do you guys think? Any comments will be helpful!

;)

Members don't see this ad.

waverunner said:
Hi everyone. I have a quick question on the LOR for WesternU.
As many of you know, WesternU provides a form for LOR. However, it also says (at the bottom of the form) that we do not have to use this form and we can just use regular letterhead. I was wondering how you guys went about getting the LOR in.

What I am thinking of doing is I am thinking of asking my professors to fill out the form and then attach the LOR that they wrote for me for other med schools.

What do you guys think? Any comments will be helpful!

;)
That's what I did.

Thanks for the reply. I get the feeling that DO schools are less formal and restricting than MD schools....
What do ya think???

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
A letterhead is a letterhead. The more official it looks, the better. If you're getting a letter from a private practice doc, let him use his own letterhead. If you're getting one from a professor, let them use the school's letterhead. That's what I did, and got into COMP with no problems. Now if the school 'requires' you to use their form, use it, but if you have the option, allow each profesional use their own letterhead. If nothing else, it's more convenient for those writing on your behalf, and you always want them to be happy and not put out too much.

TheFish005 said:
A letterhead is a letterhead. The more official it looks, the better. If you're getting a letter from a private practice doc, let him use his own letterhead. If you're getting one from a professor, let them use the school's letterhead. That's what I did, and got into COMP with no problems. Now if the school 'requires' you to use their form, use it, but if you have the option, allow each profesional use their own letterhead. If nothing else, it's more convenient for those writing on your behalf, and you always want them to be happy and not put out too much.

Rancho Cucamonga! :D
Well, yeah, I guess it's just the matter of getting the necessary document in rather than its form or how I do it....

Another question.
I just submitted AACOMAS today (July 1st). My transcript is not there yet. Am I behind the race for WesternU? Also for one of the LORs, I am supposed to get it from a DO or a MD, but I have not shadowed a doctor and I won't be able to do anything till July 16th because I am interning full time at a NIH-related organization. Yet, my girlfriend's doctor is willing to write me a LOR for me after reading my Personal statement and looking at my other stats. Although I might be able to get in some actual work with him for 12 days, I am not sure if this is enough. Of course, I would want to work with a DO so that I know what they do. But with WesternU's 30-day regulation which says I have to submit the 2ndary within 30 days of verication of AACOMAS, I am not sure if I have enough time to be competitive by the time I have to submit the secondary....
:confused:

Please let me have you guys' opinions.

Stats are as follows,

GPA:3.71
Science: 3.66
MCAT:27 (V8 P9 B10) <I'm from other country so my English isn't that great)
ECs: 2yrs of research in physio, 4 yrs of NCAA Div I Athletics, Volunteered at a clinic in downtown LA, various other scholarships and recognition,

Do you think I have a chance :confused:

It is only July 1st. You are still very early in the application process. When I was applying, I didnt finish my AACOMAS until December, secondary in January, and interviewed in February. Contrary to popular belief, the class does not fill up in the first two months. People were still interviewing this year (and being accepted) up to and including our last day of classes, May 19. Unlike some MD schools, COMP saves seats for each interview day, meaning you won't be interviewing for a waitlist spot. If you have experience in the field of medicine, shadowing is not absolutely necessary. I had never shadowed a doc; I had never even met a DO before applying. I did, however, spend 3 years working in a pediatric office as a lab tech. Patient contact and exposure to the field of medicine is what really matters.

edit: Your stats make you very competetive for COMP. I wouldnt worry too much, especially being as early as it is. They won't even begin interviewing until august or sepetember.

TheFish005 said:
It is only July 1st. You are still very early in the application process. When I was applying, I didnt finish my AACOMAS until December, secondary in January, and interviewed in February. Contrary to popular belief, the class does not fill up in the first two months. People were still interviewing this year (and being accepted) up to and including our last day of classes, May 19. Unlike some MD schools, COMP saves seats for each interview day, meaning you won't be interviewing for a waitlist spot. If you have experience in the field of medicine, shadowing is not absolutely necessary. I had never shadowed a doc; I had never even met a DO before applying. I did, however, spend 3 years working in a pediatric office as a lab tech. Patient contact and exposure to the field of medicine is what really matters.

edit: Your stats make you very competetive for COMP. I wouldnt worry too much, especially being as early as it is. They won't even begin interviewing until august or sepetember.

Rancho Cucamonga! I love how it sounds... :p
But yes, thank you very much for your personalized answer and for your time!

I really appreciate it. That took care of a lot of anxiety in my system. And yes, I do have some clinical experience and probably will at least talk to a DO or work with him for short amount of time before sending out my secondary. (assuming I will get secondary invitation.... ;) )
I'm not sure tho...

Anyhow, have a great day!!!