WESTERN U vs Tufts vs Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PICKLER!ICK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Im trying to decided between westernU and Tufts can anyone help. Im also waitlisted in Indiana University which is a lot cheaper

WesternU
Pros:
No time wasted on WAXING
The board exam stats are amazing
semi block style curriculum
from student panel is seems the curriculum is single course intensive then move on to next course after 6 weeks. (I could be wrong on this but thats what the student panel said)
Very very open to change and has changed a lot even in the last 4 years to better help student learn
seems like i can maneuver more free time If i plan ahead
no specialty programs at WesternU. That means there is no hierarchy when it comes to cases.
clinicals are awesome never need to worry about not having enough patients or if one cancels theres usually another one to take their place
equipment is state of the art
6 hr drive to family
Funding for student clubs almost always approved for whatever you want to do
only 70 students per class
$10 unlimited train on weekends to nearby downtown LA, Disneyland, the beach

Cons:
low income area about 5 mile radius
Have to drive everywhere
$500 car parking on campus
Crime rate i saw online was higher, fear of my car or bike getting stolen seems very real
dress professionally every day, white coat in clinic
Less known than Tufts
Newer school
Really hot summers

Tufts ( need more research add to it if i missed something)
Pros:
- i know about 20 some students there already
-Clinically strong
-Excellent location (public transportation, city life...though Boston is definitely not NYC)
-Strong reputation among profession
-Diverse student body
-Mass allows 3rd year dental students to be licensed hygienists ($$$ on the side)
-Big Brother/Big Sister (you have a 2nd year assigned as your sibling to give you advice, help you out, answer student type questions the admin can't answer
-no dress code really

Cons
-Larger class ( about 200)
-Far away from family in Indiana and California
-less willing to go out on a limb to try something new/daring in lieu of improving student experience/improving curriculum/etc.
-competition for patients from surrounding schools
-Specialty program takes away harder cases
-Equipment not as state of the art as WEsternU
- westernU is very open and spatious compared to the congestion of boston and cramped school.
-Boston winters are going to be bad

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What about your pros and cons for tufts? Your con about low income area can actually be a pro. It’ll enable you to have a diverse patient pool and patients would be more willing to get work done at the dental school since it’s more affordable.

Reactions: 1 user