WESTERN U vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgem524

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am having some trouble deciding now which school to go to for the next four years as I have heard both programs are similar to one another, just on other coasts.

I'm from California and my entire family is here, but I love exploring and living in new cities which is why I really considered Tufts--I love Boston and have always wanted to live in a big city. My fiancés family all live in the east coast and some within 30min from Boston. My fiancé is also military and has no idea where he will be stationed this summer which is also when I start dental school...but I have to decide by April! It's an unfortunate situation, but he tells me to just go to the school I really wanna go to, which is the problem. I am not 100% sure which.

I do have a pro and con list for each school, but just wondering what everyone's take is, especially those who have attended or are attending one of these schools.
If you had to choose, which school would you go to and why? I know it's ultimately up to me, but I would love to hear opinions! Thank you in advance!

Taking into consideration:

Class size
Board passing rates
Weather
Cost/tuition/ housing
Family
Clinical experience
Faculty
Future opportunities post-graduation
Overall experience in the program..etc

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If it were me I would choose Tufts simply because it's more established and is known for producing top clinical graduates.

I've heard great things about WesternU but it is a newer school so it will take time to get the kind of reputation that Tufts has.

Both schools are very similar in cost otherwise I would've suggested going to the cheapest school.

I would definitely tour both campuses if you haven't done so already.

Hi!

I am a second year at WesternU. Yes, our programs are similar just on different coasts. I've loved my time at WesternU. The faculty is very receptive to student feedback and changes have been made almost immediately for the following classes. I generally encourage students to move away for undergrad and not professional school. Coursework can be too demanding and getting acclimated must be fast. Also, it depends on where you want to practice later. We take the WREB, which is acceptable in most states. Boston I believe takes the NERBS, which is limited to east coast schools.

Class size: 68-70
2018 Board Pass Rate: 100% (FIRST TIME ATTEMPT)
Weather: Generally warm, but it's been wet lately
Cost/tuition/housing: total about $100,000 a year with everything... Cost of housing depends on whether you want to live alone or with room/housemate(s)
Family: Very family friendly. You'll also need a lot of family support while you're in school, so that may aid your decision.
Clinical Experience: Excellent. We were drilling by the 2nd week of school! Ample clinical time for didactics
Faculty: They are very approachable and willing to help. They are all looking out for your success.
Future Opportunities: There is no specialty programs at WesternU. That means there is no hierarchy when it comes to cases. This program is designed and robust enough to build great resumes for specialty/residency programs.

Overall experience: I am very happy at WesternU. This institution has granted me plenty of chances for professional growth through national leadership positions, while giving me the tools to succeed and care for my patients in clinic.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I am a second year at WesternU. Yes, our programs are similar just on different coasts. I've loved my time at WesternU. The faculty is very receptive to student feedback and changes have been made almost immediately for the following classes. I generally encourage students to move away for undergrad and not professional school. Coursework can be too demanding and getting acclimated must be fast. Also, it depends on where you want to practice later. We take the WREB, which is acceptable in most states. Boston I believe takes the NERBS, which is limited to east coast schools.

Class size: 68-70
2018 Board Pass Rate: 100% (FIRST TIME ATTEMPT)
Weather: Generally warm, but it's been wet lately
Cost/tuition/housing: total about $100,000 a year with everything... Cost of housing depends on whether you want to live alone or with room/housemate(s)
Family: Very family friendly. You'll also need a lot of family support while you're in school, so that may aid your decision.
Clinical Experience: Excellent. We were drilling by the 2nd week of school! Ample clinical time for didactics
Faculty: They are very approachable and willing to help. They are all looking out for your success.
Future Opportunities: There is no specialty programs at WesternU. That means there is no hierarchy when it comes to cases. This program is designed and robust enough to build great resumes for specialty/residency programs.

Overall experience: I am very happy at WesternU. This institution has granted me plenty of chances for professional growth through national leadership positions, while giving me the tools to succeed and care for my patients in clinic.

Awesome! thank you so much for your help :) I absolutely love WesternU, the only thing really keeping me on the fence is the fact that Tufts is in Boston and Ive been itching to live in the east coast. You are right, though..when I am stressed it would be great to have family around. Thank you!!

It sounds like you are already leaning towards Tufts. If that is truly what your heart desires, I'd say go for it and don't look back!

I am originally from so cal (626 area) and currently in Boston so I can offer you my personal opinion on living in the two cities.

Boston is expensive to live and you will get a pretty small apartment unless you're living at you're SOs place. If that's the case then parking is expensive. And be prepared to get a ticket. Meter maids here will smell blood in the water. Also the traffic is bad at rush hour but not as bad as LA. Boston is a fun city and you will be in the heart of downtown at tufts, but you won't like the winters one bit. If you want to live away from home for the experience definitely come. You can go to NYC on weekends or anywhere close by Amtrak/bus. The food isn't as good as in LA. Cost of food is about the same, but I really think cost of living is higher. You will most likely have to pay for laundry unless you live in a house or get lucky enough to get washer dryer in unit. If you have a car be prepared to pay for your parking spot which ranges from 150-300 depending if your place offers parking. Also moving out here, they have realtors looking for places for you which they charge first months rent, until you are getting a luxury high rise apartment. If you live a little further away from tufts you can always take the T everyday (which you will pay with a semester pass).

That being said, LA is and will always be my home and I will go back. I definitely do not regret coming here. If you have any questions feel free to pm me

It sounds like you're leaning towards tufts and you're from California. I think it'd be a fresh start for you to go to school in a different state if you want as this is a great chance to do that. You can always come back home to California, that's my opinion. I'd pick Tufts

I'll be going to tufts! It's a great choice. See you soon, classmate!

There are TUSDM students on these forums - seek them out and check with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow, deja vu. I was having this same debate less than a year ago. If it's any help, here is the thread in which I posed the same question.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/western-or-tufts.1182275/#post-17650305

In the end, I chose WesternU (even though I am at UOP now). After starting dental school, I would agree with MarcEeee21. Professional school hits you hard, and it hits you fast. You need a strong support group to get you acclimated. Class size makes a HUGE difference; learning a new skill is tough, and when you don't have enough faculty to look over your preps, it can get really annoying. We just got some new faculty at UOP this quarter, and everything has been flowing smoother.

If you really want to move to the east coast for a short period of time, consider doing and AEGD or GPR. Going from 4 years in the sun to 4 years in the snow when you already spend a lot of time indoors studying all the time sounds miserable to me.

Wow, deja vu. I was having this same debate less than a year ago. If it's any help, here is the thread in which I posed the same question.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/western-or-tufts.1182275/#post-17650305

In the end, I chose WesternU (even though I am at UOP now). After starting dental school, I would agree with MarcEeee21. Professional school hits you hard, and it hits you fast. You need a strong support group to get you acclimated. Class size makes a HUGE difference; learning a new skill is tough, and when you don't have enough faculty to look over your preps, it can get really annoying. We just got some new faculty at UOP this quarter, and everything has been flowing smoother.

If you really want to move to the east coast for a short period of time, consider doing and AEGD or GPR. Going from 4 years in the sun to 4 years in the snow when you already spend a lot of time indoors studying all the time sounds miserable to me.

Haha thank you for the input! I believe I am choosing WESTERNU! thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

PM me if you have questions about Tufts.