Western U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i don't go to western...but i go to cal poly pomona (which is like 5 minutes from western)

anyways...i commute from fullerton and i take the 57 up. it takes me about 30 minutes to get to cal poly and i rarely hit traffic in the morning (7,8,9am) but i hit a little at the 57/60 junction in the evenings aroung 5'ish

overall...it takes me about 30 minutes to get to cal poly in the morning and about 45 minutes (most of the time) to get back home in the evening

Members don't see this ad.

i don't go to western...but i go to cal poly pomona (which is like 5 minutes from western)

anyways...i commute from fullerton and i take the 57 up. it takes me about 30 minutes to get to cal poly and i rarely hit traffic in the morning (7,8,9am) but i hit a little at the 57/60 junction in the evenings aroung 5'ish

overall...it takes me about 30 minutes to get to cal poly in the morning and about 45 minutes (most of the time) to get back home in the evening

thanks for your quick reply. that really helps put my mind at ease b/c i was scared of getting stuck in traffic.

They interview about 100 per interview day...sometimes a few more...sometimes less. The day of the interview they divide you into 2 groups. One does the essay first and one does the interview first. Then you switch. I interviewed first last year. I do not know how many got accepted from the first group....I think it just depends...I would say about 20 people get accepted, some rejected, many on hold. They put a lot of people on hold until they have interviewed all the groups....so the interview is key to getting accepted! Good luck you guys!

Thanks for the info. but I have a question to add on. I know that we usually get the acceptance letters ~2-3 weeks after the interview date, but how about the rejection and on-hold letters? Will we even get a letter saying that we are wait-listed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys... just wondering if anyone's $500 deposit has been cashed yet? I know the campus is closed until next week but the due date is tomorrow, and I sent in my check in December. Just a little worried. :confused:

I sent my check the day that they closed...so mine hasnt gotten cash yet either. I thought it was kinda weird that they said jan 4th when they come back the 7th...so i called them two weeks ago and they said that postmark is fine...so fingers crossed? LOL

Anyone know when Western will have their next round of interviews?

Anyone know when Western will have their next round of interviews?

Saturday, February 9, 2008
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Invites are mailed 1-3 weeks in advance according to Western's website.

i just got an interview invite by email for feb 9th

not sure why they didn't call me again this time... (i had an invite in december but couldn't make it on that date)

i just got an interview invite by email for feb 9th

not sure why they didn't call me again this time... (i had an invite in december but couldn't make it on that date)

never understand why they cannot be more consistent..

interview invites r sent by emails and phone calls.

acceptance letters by emails, regular mails, and phone calls.

should we check email? mail box? or voice mail?? :confused::confused::confused:

By the way Western isnt a big envelope....it is a small one...for acceptances, hold letters, and rejections....so dont just toss it if it is a small one. Plus I received an email acceptance 2 weeks before I got the letter last year. And my interviewer called me and told me I was accepted a day or so after the email. So the mail is the last place. Check your email and your phone in the next few weeks!:)

Hi, by "Hold" letters, do you mean alternate + hold status because I understand that they are 2 different things. If they are, does the hold list come after the alternate list? Thanks

Hi, by "Hold" letters, do you mean alternate + hold status because I understand that they are 2 different things. If they are, does the hold list come after the alternate list? Thanks

from my understanding... the alternate list goes before the hold list.. the alternate list is like you had complete everything just not as competitive as those who are accepted.. if they dun take the spots.. you will be next.. but hold list.. its like you got something missing.. like pre-reqs.. that they need to hold your application before you complete the requirement..

correct me if i am wrong cuz i am a little bit confused myself too..

[edit @ 1:48] after reading the admissions guidebook..

i was right. alternate status does go before the hold status. In the guidebook, its stated that "applicants who are placed on hold after the interview will have their file reviewed at a later date," and "hold candidates could receive a letter of accept, alternate or non-accept." It doesn't mention much about the alternate status though.

Dont lose hope!!

Has anyone status on BanWeb changed? Mine is still incomplete.

from my understanding... the alternate list goes before the hold list.. the alternate list is like you had complete everything just not as competitive as those who are accepted.. if they dun take the spots.. you will be next.. but hold list.. its like you got something missing.. like pre-reqs.. that they need to hold your application before you complete the requirement..

correct me if i am wrong cuz i am a little bit confused myself too..

[edit @ 1:48] after reading the admissions guidebook..

i was right. alternate status does go before the hold status. In the guidebook, its stated that "applicants who are placed on hold after the interview will have their file reviewed at a later date," and "hold candidates could receive a letter of accept, alternate or non-accept." It doesn't mention much about the alternate status though.

Dont lose hope!!

However, I understand that Western accepts about 200 students for 120 spots right. Out of this, ~40 student get in from the alternate list of 80. So from this, for some reasons, maybe they accept about 10 (or none at all)from the hold list which come after the alternate list right. So people who got accepted right of the bat after the interivew is ~ 150. I don't think this number is that high. I'm very confuse too.

I hope this helps its from western's website:

How does the committee decide which applicants are offered seats?
The committee will review all completed applications and select approximately 400 candidates for interview. After the interview, all materials will be reviewed and applicants will be assigned a status: admit, hold or reject. After all interviews are completed (April) alternates will be selected from the hold candidates. At this time all students will be notified by mail of their final status. There is no need to call, as applicants will be notified immediately if there is a change in their status.

Has anyone status on BanWeb changed? Mine is still incomplete.

Just bumping this so hopefully someone could answer :oops:.

Also, has anyone NOT received their BanWeb letter and NOT been invited to an interview yet? Western received all my stuff a long while ago but I still haven't received any postal mail from them yet and I don't know if I should call them! :confused:

However, I understand that Western accepts about 200 students for 120 spots right. Out of this, ~40 student get in from the alternate list of 80. So from this, for some reasons, maybe they accept about 10 (or none at all)from the hold list which come after the alternate list right. So people who got accepted right of the bat after the interivew is ~ 150. I don't think this number is that high. I'm very confuse too.

hmm.. where u got the stat of 40 students from alternate list and 10 students from hold list?? but to make it simple.. they interview 400 applicants and accept 200.. you will have a 50/50 chance of getting in. Don't stress too much on numbers..

Just bumping this so hopefully someone could answer :oops:.

Also, has anyone NOT received their BanWeb letter and NOT been invited to an interview yet? Western received all my stuff a long while ago but I still haven't received any postal mail from them yet and I don't know if I should call them! :confused:

you just described me.

I never received any BanWeb and was offered an interview and accepted, so don't worry if you never receive one.
Also, I turned down my offer. There's still a good chance of getting in if you're on the alternate list. Good luck.

Also, has anyone NOT received their BanWeb letter and NOT been invited to an interview yet? Western received all my stuff a long while ago but I still haven't received any postal mail from them yet and I don't know if I should call them!

Me three. :thumbdown:

I received the BanWeb letter and received an email from them saying that my application was ready for review. Now, I'm just waiting to hear good news...hopefully.