Western University POD - Statistics and post interview thoughts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our Darklord, who art in high school,
hallowed by thy posts.
Thy A's shall come,
thy will be done,
in pod school as it was in grade school.
Give us this day our daily laugh,
and forgive us our semantics,
as we forgive those who post against you.
And lead us not into semantics,
but deliver us from semantics.
For thine posts are the say all,
end all, and be all, forever and ever,
or at least until you graduate high school,
Amen.
and sorry about not getting into that MD program.
:laugh:

and to the post above me.... I stopped reading at "the DOs prestige", then I got sick.

Members don't see this ad.

.You obviously don’t have the altruism and respect for other people to become a physician.
waste your time online.
get off the computer. .
Cyberbullies.

I will respond to your posts and will make you look stupid. because you are a failing undergrad.
you must really suck

sounds just like a high school child to me.

hahahahahah look at this kid go. I especially enjoyed the part where he was gaining respect.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK people, let's keep things civilized. This is a public forum and you are more than welcome to express your opinion but please do so in a professional manner.

Our Darklord, who art in high school,
hallowed by thy posts.
Thy A's shall come,
thy will be done,
in pod school as it was in grade school.
Give us this day our daily laugh,
and forgive us our semantics,
as we forgive those who post against you.
And lead us not into semantics,
but deliver us from semantics.
For thine posts are the say all,
end all, and be all, forever and ever,
or at least until you graduate high school,
Amen.
and sorry about not getting into that MD program.

:laugh: One of the BEST SDN posts I've ever read!

sorry thetachi...this was too good to pass up. go indians!

sorry thetachi...this was too good to pass up. go indians!

I need to get another box of popcorn for this forum. I love how people have made their signature quotes from this thread. :rofl:

Air bud youre such a tenacious trend-setter!

Thanks. Didn't know this. Does this upgrade a CA DPM to better insurance status or what does it mean? A harder exam must have some rewards, yes? Thanks again.

It's all about APMA's Vision 2015 and "podiatrists being defined as physicians who treat patients in the physician’s specialty without restrictions".

I seriously doubt that WesternU podiatry will take all the same classes as DO. Like scholl, dmu, and arizona they will take some classes together. Reason why?? because the timelines will not match up.

(1) If pods take all DO classes PLUS lower extremity and podiatry classes...you will have to add more class time per quarter.

(2) If pods mirror DO then it will be a true 2+2 curriculum, 2yrs classes+2yrs clinicals. Pods will need an additional 1/2 year to complete all of the DO rotations AND podiatry rotations.

Where does this additional time come from? How do they expect to fit all of this into the curriculum?

I speculate(but pardon me) that they may decide to skip some D.O rotations in lieu of some D.P.M specific rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
That of course begets the question: how will they (Western) fit it all in? It isn't an easy task.

Last edited:
That of course begets the question: how will they (Western) fit it all in? It isn't an easy task.

Summer semesters...a number of pod schools have the summer free after 1st year. I know that Azpod + OCPM (now scholl) have a summer schedule. Cuts off vacation time but you can spread the coursework over the year.

Summer semesters...a number of pod schools have the summer free after 1st year. I know that Azpod + OCPM (now scholl) have a summer schedule. Cuts off vacation time but you can spread the coursework over the year.

I was under the impression that DO went all year round for the first 2 years and I know that they go all year round in their clinical years. The only way they will make it fit is if they compromise the podiatry education. 3rd and 4th year the DO rotations will cut into the podiatry elective rotations....giving westernu pods a disadvantage in getting residency.

The state of CA BPM (Board of Podiatric Medicine) has set the stage for acceptance of the USMLE for podiatric licensure:

So if CA accepts the USMLE and WesternU and probably CSPM...assuming they will follow suit...will take the USMLE instead of the NBPME. So does that mean these students will be limited to residency programs and states that accept the USMLE in leui of the NBPME?

The next step is allowing students from colleges of podiatric medicine to take it.

And the MD's will allow this why?

I was under the impression that DO went all year round for the first 2 years and I know that they go all year round in their clinical years. The only way they will make it fit is if they compromise the podiatry education. 3rd and 4th year the DO rotations will cut into the podiatry elective rotations....giving westernu pods a disadvantage in getting residency.

I am pretty positive that AzPOD has a summer semester after first year while Azcom (DO program) has the summer free. And the pods take a ton of classes with the DO kids.

Not all MD or DO programs go year round, they give time off for research, vacation, etc...particularly during the summer after the 1st year of med school.

dmu has the first summer off. good time for a honeymoon and getting a dog.

I seriously doubt that WesternU podiatry will take all the same classes as DO. Like scholl, dmu, and arizona they will take some classes together. Reason why?? because the timelines will not match up.
Fact: Western's DPM students will take ALL classes with DOs during the first two years EXCEPT Osteopathic Principles & Practice/Manipulation (which differentiates DOs from MDs) and Essentials of Clinical Medicine (performing H&Ps on standardized patients, which is a one-on-one activity anyway).

(1) If pods take all DO classes PLUS lower extremity and podiatry classes...you will have to add more class time per quarter.
Do not equate a learner-centered curriculum (Western) to a teacher-centered curriculum (the "others"). A teacher-centered school may need 700 hours of classroom time to "push" content to students via lecturing (aka "spoon-feeding"). A learner-centered school can do it much more efficiently in considerably fewer class hours when students are responsible for their learning.

(2) If pods mirror DO then it will be a true 2+2 curriculum, 2yrs classes+2yrs clinicals. Pods will need an additional 1/2 year to complete all of the DO rotations AND podiatry rotations.
One reason that the "others" have additional podiatry rotations is because they cannot get or do not want more general medicine & surgery rotations. Additionally, schools originally had numerous podiatry rotations because students were being trained to go immediately into podiatric practice upon graduation (a handful of states still allow a DPM to become licensed and practice without residency training). If the "standard" (Vision 2015) is to be a minimum 3-year residency in both podiatric medicine (including orthopedics/biomechanics) & surgery, then an overload of podiatry rotations during podiatric medical school are not necessary. Currently, schools/educators often ask "how can we get back the 4th year", because 4th year students typically are bored of palliative care (how many nails do you need to trim and calluses/corns debride before one is competent) and concentrate more on personal agendas (studying for the boards, visiting & rating residency programs, etc).

Where does this additional time come from? How do they expect to fit all of this into the curriculum?
No problem (see answers above).

So if CA accepts the USMLE and WesternU and probably CSPM...assuming they will follow suit...will take the USMLE instead of the NBPME. So does that mean these students will be limited to residency programs and states that accept the USMLE in leui of the NBPME?
It simply means that one could obtain a CA license by either taking the NBPME or the USMLE. This should have nothing to do with their acceptance by CA residency programs. In fact, they'd probably favor students who take and pass the USMLE. However, for those states that would not accept passing the USMLE for licensure, the student would have to take the NBPME. At Western, students will be required to take the NBPME, and may also take the USMLE (at Western's expense?) for measuring program outcomes.

And the MD's will allow this why?
The question should be, why would USMLE/NBME allow it? #1) they allow DOs to take it. 2) additional examination fees to gain. 3) I can't think of what they'd lose.

Last edited:
Fact: Western's DPM students will take ALL classes with DOs during the first two years EXCEPT Osteopathic Principles & Practice/Manipulation (which differentiates DOs from MDs) and Essentials of Clinical Medicine (performing H&Ps on standardized patients, which is a one-on-one activity anyway).

Western Pods won't take the Essentials of clinical medicine? Why? Pods need to know how to do a history and physical.

Do not equate a learner-centered curriculum (Western) to a teacher-centered curriculum (the "others"). A teacher-centered school may need 700 hours of classroom time to "push" content to students via lecturing (aka "spoon-feeding"). A learner-centered school can do it much more efficiently in considerably fewer class hours when students are responsible for their learning.

No matter the type of learning...more material means more time.

One reason that the "others" have additional podiatry rotations is because they cannot get or do not want more general medicine & surgery rotations. Additionally, schools originally had numerous podiatry rotations because students were being trained to go immediately into podiatric practice upon graduation (a handful of states still allow a DPM to become licensed and practice without residency training). If the "standard" (Vision 2015) is to be a minimum 3-year residency in both podiatric medicine (including orthopedics/biomechanics) & surgery, then an overload of podiatry rotations during podiatric medical school are not necessary. Currently, schools/educators often ask "how can we get back the 4th year", because 4th year students typically are bored of palliative care (how many nails do you need to trim and calluses/corns debride before one is competent) and concentrate more on personal agendas (studying for the boards, visiting & rating residency programs, etc).

So Western will have less podiatry rotations? What about the Podiatry Elective rotations...Scholl has 3 for 3rd year and 4 for 4th year. This is time a student will use to explore a particular residency. How will they get accepted into a residency if they have not rotated through that residency program?

It simply means that one could obtain a CA license by either taking the NBPME or the USMLE. This should have nothing to do with their acceptance by CA residency programs. In fact, they'd probably favor students who take and pass the USMLE. However, for those states that would not accept passing the USMLE for licensure, the student would have to take the NBPME. At Western, students will be required to take the NBPME, and may also take the USMLE (at Western's expense?) for measuring program outcomes.

So Western Pods must take both the NBPME and USMLE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Western Pods won't take the Essentials of clinical medicine? Why? Pods need to know how to do a history and physical.
Western students will have their own Essentials of Clinical Medicine course that is identical to the DO version (plus more detailed lower extremity examination) but without the DO students.

No matter the type of learning...more material means more time.
It's not necessarily more time; emphasis is on outcomes, not content. More time may be spent studying outside the classroom (e.g., guided self-directed learning), but there's less time in the classroom. The evidence-based education research has demonstrated greater and more efficient learning when the curriculum is designed and the learning activities planned and implemented appropriately.

So Western will have less podiatry rotations? What about the Podiatry Elective rotations...Scholl has 3 for 3rd year and 4 for 4th year. This is time a student will use to explore a particular residency. How will they get accepted into a residency if they have not rotated through that residency program?
There will be less time in chip & clip clinic rotations. The outside podiatry rotations should be similar, therefore same opportunities for residency externships.

So Western Pods must take both the NBPME and USMLE.
Western students are required to pass the NBPME part 1 exam in order to continue into the 3rd year, and pass the NBPME part 2 exam in order to graduate.

Western students are required to pass the NBPME part 1 exam in order to continue into the 3rd year, and pass the NBPME part 2 exam in order to graduate.

I think this is becoming more universal (sorry some schools already have implemented measures similar to this) since the NBPME started the rule that you can't take Part 2 until you pass Part 1. At least at my school they have informed us that if you don't pass Part 1 by the 2nd try you may get held back a year - you can't do clinics or externships until you pass Part 1.

Many of you should get bumper stickers that say,

"My School is Better than Your School."

And your parents should get one that says,

"my kid is the number one student at XXX Podiatry School."

It's the only rational thing left for you to do!

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of you should get bumper stickers that say,

"My School is Better than Your School."

And your parents should get one that says,

"my kid is the number one student at XXX Podiatry School."

It's the only rational thing left for you to do!

The only problem is nobody is #1 at Western yet, they haven't even taught a single class there. Somehow its the best school in the land though. :laugh:

The only problem is nobody is #1 at Western yet, they haven't even taught a single class there. Somehow its the best school in the land though. :laugh:

Maybe they are emulating Tony the Tiger? "Theeeeyre greeeeeat!"

Has anyone heard if they are going to recruit Tony as a student yet?

Maybe they are emulating Tony the Tiger? "Theeeeyre greeeeeat!"

Has anyone heard if they are going to recruit Tony as a student yet?

Haha. You're cracking me up tonight. Maybe Darklord can get hired as a Tony the Tiger stand in, straight out of high school.

Ok. I hadn't thought about that.

a) I was under the impression that Barry pod students also take first year summer classes. Is this true or false?

b) Where are you going this fall?

Western students will have their own Essentials of Clinical Medicine course that is identical to the DO version (plus more detailed lower extremity examination) but without the DO students.

It's not necessarily more time; emphasis is on outcomes, not content. More time may be spent studying outside the classroom (e.g., guided self-directed learning), but there's less time in the classroom. The evidence-based education research has demonstrated greater and more efficient learning when the curriculum is designed and the learning activities planned and implemented appropriately.

There will be less time in chip & clip clinic rotations. The outside podiatry rotations should be similar, therefore same opportunities for residency externships.

Sounds like western has a decent plan. I just hope they don't get too caught up on "educational parity" with DO and jeopardize podiatric education.

Many of you should get bumper stickers that say, "My School is Better than Your School." And your parents should get one that says, "my kid is the number one student at XXX Podiatry School." It's the only rational thing left for you to do!

That's not the real issue. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation on this forum regarding schools of podiatric medicine; why do the schools keep this information secret, or limited to verbal only? It would be nice if a "fact sheet" were out there, approved by the schools while compiled and distributed by AACPM that would list each of the schools in a table format and objectively include the information being discussed in this forum. How about it AACPM?

Sounds like western has a decent plan. I just hope they don't get too caught up on "educational parity" with DO and jeopardize podiatric education.

This is a major objective of Vision 2015 which has been agreed upon by the schools (i.e., AACPM). Therefore, one would expect all schools to be doing the same in some manner.

This is largely what DMU and AZPOD already do and it really works well. Board scores are well above average at these schools (especially part I).

Please no more Westerns at Western, I just kissed Westerns goodbye!

Ok. I hadn't thought about that.

a) I was under the impression that Barry pod students also take first year summer classes. Is this true or false?

b) Where are you going this fall?

We don't have the summer off but I don't mind it too much. We got a week off in mid-May after our finals and we get most all August off though.

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at Western U yet for the Podiatry Program.

Has anyone been rejected before getting an interview or after attending an interview?

Any advice? I'd like to hear people's thoughts!

Thanks!

From Western's website, I do not see a listing of clinical faculty staff. Well, they still have one more year to get ready.

I was at the Western Conference in Anaheim this past weekend, and met one of the podiatrists who interviewed incoming students. The incoming class will have 38 students.

Good luck to all.