Western University vs. Kansas State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydr0dude

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am an applicant from California, currently located in Boston for graduate school. I am interested in small animal and have a keen interest in pursuing veterinary dentistry (non equine). Currently accepted to Kansas State University and Western University. I'm deciding between both programs, assessing the pros and cons to each program while also keeping multiple factors in mind: education, happiness, internships, etc.

I'd like to know about the experiences of current students on how hands-on both programs are, student life, and what made you select given school.

Out of state cost for Kansas compared to Western are comparable. However, Western would be considerably cheaper considering I would not have to commute far from home for holidays, obligations, etc.

Any other factors I should consider?

All feedback appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

@LyraGardenia for the Kansas life

Does the cost of living you save for traveling in California balance how cheap the cost of living in Manhattan?

Like you, I applied this cycle so I’m not sure if my opinion matters but here we are. I’m from Southern California and like you, currently live on the east coast. I didn’t apply to Western because I knew there was no way in heck I wanted to live in Pomona - high cost of living, not the safest area, crowded, etc. I think there are some pros to the distributive model for clinics but I also knew I’d choose a school with a teaching hospital over one without. But I feel like that’s personal preference - I work for a doctor that was in LMU’s first graduating class. She worked in a teaching hospital prior to vet school and knew it wasn’t the environment for her. She mostly loved the distributive model and is a perfectly competent doctor so I don’t think that’s a necessarily a deal breaker.

Anyway, I was also accepted to and will likely choose K-State if I’m not accepted to my top choice and I can tell you why I would choose it over other schools I’ve interviewed at.
The curriculum. I like PBL but personally feel I need a traditional lecture learning environment with a little PBL sprinkled in here and there. I think K-State does little PBL sessions on Fridays but I may be confusing it with another school (can’t remember). Regardless, it’s nice that Fridays are a light day. Also nice that lectures are recorded, though I think that’s pretty typical for most vet schools now.
The emphasis they place on mental health. It seems many schools are taking steps to ensure mental health of students but I like that K-State has therapists dedicated to the vet school, do their best to spread exams out (they try to schedule only 1 exam/week), and are building up the little gym space in the vet med building.
Mentorship. I like that, as a first year, you’re paired up with a 4th year student that you can shadow in the teaching hospital, which is conveniently connected to the vet med building. This may not be important to you but I’m considering a specialty so this is great to me. I also really like that they try to pair us with faculty members in our area of interest that I think we get to meet with monthly (iirc).
The little things ... like leaving free snacks for us in the student lounge and the food donation thing so you can still feed yourself if money is tight.
Dr. Carpenter if exotics are your jam!
Manhattan! I explored the town a little bit before the ice storm rolled in and people seemed pretty friendly and there are some really pretty areas (Flint Hills!). And cost of living is pretty darn cheap.
Random cool things ... the rabies lab! I think it would be super rad to join a research project or lab for a summer and all that they do in literally the world’s busiest rabies lab sounds super interesting. (One of my interviewers works the rabies lab so I may be biased)
So much large animal stuff if that’s your jam!
The Biosecurity Research Institute!
Discounted pet food program!
The mobile spay/neuter unit as part of the shelter med rotation! Such a great opportunity to get lots of surgeries under your belt before graduation and support the surrounding communities.
Also really liked that the student lounge and anatomy lab are accessible 24/7 but I believe quite a few schools are doing that now-a-days.
My 3 interviewers were amazing. I felt like they really wanted to get to know me as a person and we enjoyed some laughs. Just an overall great experience!

Ok, so I loved K-State. And asked a ton of questions when I was there :laugh: :love:
Good luck with your decision!!

Reactions: 1 user
I will second @EngrSC on just about everything. I have been at K State the last 3 years and have loved the environment. I currently work at the Biosecurity Research Institute and enjoy it. Everything I have heard about the vet school and from people who currently are there just reinforce my desire to stay here. I am accepting and will be attending in the Fall! There are some great places to eat in Aggieville and fun activities. There is always someone to grab a ride with if you are flying in or out of Kansas City which is really cheap for me (Southwest). Cost of living is VERY reasonable. I'm OOS also from a big city and have felt really at home here from day one.

Good luck with your decision!