WesternU College of Dental Medicine Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Interviewed pre-December. Just got an acceptance call today at 12pm CST!!

Dr Turchi says they're still working on finalizing the class. Best of luck to everybody still waiting. I know how anxiety-inducing it can be
Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was placed on the alternate list too yesterday. We got an email about an application update and we opened our WesternU application page to review the status. I was with the final group to interview on February 24th.

I was placed on the alternate list too yesterday. We got an email about an application update and we opened our WesternU application page to review the status. I was with the final group to interview on February 24th.
I didn't get an email like that. Seemingly I got rejected. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I have accepted the offer for the alternate list. As of right now, I have an offer from another school that I will accepting, but hoping for WesternU!

That’s awesome! At least you have an acceptance congratulations

Just got rejected via Western portal. The class is seemingly full. :(

I’m sorry dear, apply early this upcoming cycle and God willing you’ll get in somewhere better than what you have expected before. Trying also calling them and asking on what you can improve and the feedback they received from your interview.

I’m sorry dear, apply early this upcoming cycle and God willing you’ll get in somewhere better than what you have expected before. Trying also calling them and asking on what you can improve and the feedback they received from your interview.
I am sure that the problem resulted from my bad interview skills because my stats is not bad with GPA 3.95, DAT 25AA and many hours of extracurricular activities. I interviewed at WesternU without preparation.
Btw, good luck to you!

Try to do an interview prep then because your stats are solid! Definitely work on that part and try to gain confidence with it in the next couple of months. So that you’re fully ready when schools start interviewing. But apply early that’s my biggest advice. You got this

I am sure that the problem resulted from my bad interview skills because my stats is not bad with GPA 3.95, DAT 25AA and many hours of extracurricular activities. I interviewed at WesternU without preparation.
Btw, good luck to you!
apply early and wisely, and you should be ok
have you done a WAMC template?

Btw, good luck to you!
I'm sorry to hear that :/ How many different schools did you apply to & when? Did you get any other interviews/waitlists?
Thank you!
No. I have not.
It's a great idea to post a WAMC - can be extremely helpful.

I'm sorry to hear that :/ How many different schools did you apply to & when? Did you get any other interviews/waitlists?

It's a great idea to post a WAMC - can be extremely helpful.
I applied to 10 schools in late August, but many schools are really competitive (Columbia, Harvard) and unfriendly with OOS (UTHTexas). I got 4 interviews (2 denied, 1 waitlist, and 1 ghost). My only waitlist is at UCLA.

I applied to 10 schools in late August, but many schools are really competitive (Columbia, Harvard) and unfriendly with OOS (UTHTexas). I got 4 interviews (2 denied, 1 waitlist, and 1 ghost). My only waitlist is at UCLA.
Apply earlier, June, and do a lot more practice on interviewing skills. You had 4 interviews which means your stats are fine. Just need to seal the deal with your communication skills. Hopefully you hear good news but plan for the worst.

I would try to refine your school list. Are you considered international? If that’s the case I would apply to more schools and ones that are more international (and OOS) friendly.

Good luck!

Have you reached out to UCLA at all? Updated your application or wrote of LOR (not sure if they accept them or not).

Next cycle:
I would definitely add a few schools that aren't as competitive. Find programs that you would really enjoy attending or states/cities you would be interested in moving to. You have the stats to get into most programs based on DAT & GPA. Honing in on the rest of your application & interview skills are important. PM me if you'd like to talk more about it!

Completely agree with @Ryxndek. Apply early June, have good LOR, essays, & lots of practice interviewing.

My interview habits:
Before my first interview, I spent hours/days/week(s) researching the school and practicing interview questions. I would run through every question on SDN for the school I was interviewing at (Ex. UCLA University of California Los Angeles School of Dentistry Interview Feedback). I would make sure I had a response to every question & other general questions. I would record videos of myself, asking why dentistry, why attend dental school at ________, 3 weaknesses, 3 strengths, tell me a time you displayed _______ & rewatch the videos. After, I would send my favorite responses to family and friends & ask how I can improve. For me I treated each and every interview I received like an exam. Just like spending days studying for exams, I would study just as hard for each interview. I had interviews that felt perfect and interviews that went okay. But I can promise you I never felt unprepared for a single question I was asked; I always had a response on hand or a story that I wanted to tell for any question that was asked. I never had a question that stumped me & it was because of the prep work I did for each and every interview.

Also, before your interviews, go for a run, relax, & take some deep breaths. It's a conversation with another person who genuinely wants to know who you are as a person.

How my cycle went:
I was invited to interview at 7 schools (applied to 0 ivy league schools, 0 Texas); interviewed at 6, and accepted into 4.
For 3 of the schools, I felt the interview went okay/could have gone better (3 acceptance), 2 that were great (1 accepted, 1 waitlist), & waitlisted at 1 perfect interview (still no clue how I didn't get accepted lol). I'm confident I wouldn't have received those acceptances without the prep.

What did you do for interview prep? Did you research the school's values, missions, and goals before writing essays & interviewing? Find ways to connect with their mission?

Reactions: 3 users
Have you reached out to UCLA at all? Updated your application or wrote of LOR (not sure if they accept them or not).

Next cycle:
I would definitely add a few schools that aren't as competitive. Find programs that you would really enjoy attending or states/cities you would be interested in moving to. You have the stats to get into most programs based on DAT & GPA. Honing in on the rest of your application & interview skills are important. PM me if you'd like to talk more about it!

Completely agree with @Ryxndek. Apply early June, have good LOR, essays, & lots of practice interviewing.

My interview habits:
Before my first interview, I spent hours/days/week(s) researching the school and practicing interview questions. I would run through every question on SDN for the school I was interviewing at (Ex. UCLA University of California Los Angeles School of Dentistry Interview Feedback). I would make sure I had a response to every question & other general questions. I would record videos of myself, asking why dentistry, why attend dental school at ________, 3 weaknesses, 3 strengths, tell me a time you displayed _______ & rewatch the videos. After, I would send my favorite responses to family and friends & ask how I can improve. For me I treated each and every interview I received like an exam. Just like spending days studying for exams, I would study just as hard for each interview. I had interviews that felt perfect and interviews that went okay. But I can promise you I never felt unprepared for a single question I was asked; I always had a response on hand or a story that I wanted to tell for any question that was asked. I never had a question that stumped me & it was because of the prep work I did for each and every interview.

Also, before your interviews, go for a run, relax, & take some deep breaths. It's a conversation with another person who genuinely wants to know who you are as a person.

How my cycle went:
I was invited to interview at 7 schools (applied to 0 ivy league schools, 0 Texas); interviewed at 6, and accepted into 4.
For 3 of the schools, I felt the interview went okay/could have gone better (3 acceptance), 2 that were great (1 accepted, 1 waitlist), & waitlisted at 1 perfect interview (still no clue how I didn't get accepted lol). I'm confident I wouldn't have received those acceptances without the prep.

What did you do for interview prep? Did you research the school's values, missions, and goals before writing essays & interviewing? Find ways to connect with their mission?
To second this, which this is all great advice. I also used SDNs feedback page to go over questions. the biggest part is to make your responses seem like you know what you’re talking about, but that it’s not “rehearsed”. That makes you seem like a robot and less genuine. It’s okay to pause and think about a question, to ask for clarification, and to just relax and be yourself! Making eye contact also helps, though on computer it’s more so looking at the camera instead of the person, which sucks.

Virtual interviews are hard because technology glitches can happen, and lag between people talking definitely made it more annoying, but laughing and making conversation is important. When I could I would try to steer conversation away from dentistry and try to learn more about the person and what can we talk about that we have in common, other than dentistry and dental school. Which certainly helped take the edge off things and allowed the interview to be much more conversational.

I had 5 interviews and was accepted to 4 and waitlisted at 1. And the one I was waitlisted was a shock bc the interviewer basically told me I was in and they would make a great recommendation for me to the committee for my acceptance. and I thought my UMN interview was brutal and I kept doubting myself. But I guess I ended up doing alright. So interviews can be hit or miss, but having multiple interviews with no A’s could mean it has something to do with how you interviewed. you could reach out to the programs and see if they’d be willing to give you feedback.

But anyways, i would try to see if you can reach out to family members and do mock interviews for extra practice. otherwise, being a school alum your school should have resources available like mock job interviews. Just being able to sit down in front of someone and being able to articulate points about yourself will help tremendously.

Even though this cycle didn’t have the result you want, I certainly think there’s room for growth and self reflection that you can use to make yourself a much stronger candidate this coming cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend using DATBooster’s spreadsheet on dental schools, it’s what I used to figure out what schools were within my stats and OOS friendly! I’m pretty sure it’s free on their website

I recommend using DATBooster’s spreadsheet on dental schools, it’s what I used to figure out what schools were within my stats and OOS friendly! I’m pretty sure it’s free on their website

That’s what I used as well! It is free

hi! does anyone have any updates with the alternate list or anything? I have emailed them but did not receive a response. does this mean that there is probably not a chance of getting in this past cycle?