WesternU/COMP class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MSIII- Thanks for logging in and showing your support for COMP! Funny that you started posting as a third year.. had a little time over Thanksgiving break? ;) Anyway, it's good to hear your take on the boards and rotations so far... may I ask what rotations you're currently on? (have done already)

angelfan- Location huh? Well, can't really beat California although it is kind of chilly these days (shush you east coasters.. esp. NY'ers that I know heh). I didn't get a chance to visit any other DO schools, but I almost never feel that I am "crowded" because the school doesn't have as large a campus as some other schools.

Students study in a number of places.. some study in our lecture hall, some in the numerous breakout rooms (study rooms), some go to the numerous pharmacy classrooms and their respective breakout rooms... and I know quite a few will go to the new library to study. Other people will go to coffee shops, bookstores.. a few go to local college libraries and some just stay at home! I live across the street from school so I tend to walk over and study all night since it is very close for me. Other people don't like to stay on campus because they want to at least spend the rest of their day/night away from school.

Ariel- Cerebral angiograms for head and neck? It sounds like you can already help me out for the beginning of next semester when we complete our gross anatomy course with (guess what..) head and heck. What do you work as?

I live in The Plaza Apts. right across from school. I have a plan B (four plans for single apts.. D being the biggest.. B is pretty sizeable already for someone with numerous pieces of furniture) which costs about $725 including water/trash/gas (not including phone or electricity). I think Plan A's go for about $685. It is obviously cheaper to live with a roommate.. and you'll probably be able to stay in nicer apartments that are about 10 minutes away from school at a cheaper price by finding a roommate or two. In comparison to pyoj, rent might be around $500-something if you were living in a 2 bedroom with someone at the Plaza.. so you save a little bit.. but at what expense??? (just kidding heh)

Keep the questions coming, folks! (This is one of the ways I get to procrastinate :) )

Members don't see this ad.

*bumpity bump bump* for the procrastinators and interested folks this weekend. :)

Up up and away... congrats to Trying2Submit for the COMP acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I know my post is a slight shift from those that got accepted. Well, I didn't; just got my rejection letter yesterday :( I have a 3.9 gpa, but a rather low MCAT verbal (20 total). Do you guys that this is the reason why I get rejected? What score do you think I should aim for if I plan to retake the August MCAT? For those that got in, do you have any advices? If you don't mind, please let me know some of your stat., so I know what chance I have for next year. Thanks alot, and congratulation to those got accepted!!!

hey malik where are u from, pakistan? or around there

faiz

I almost have my grand thats due next week!!! I've been saving like a dog and my next lowly student assistant paycheck will pay the rest! Too cool!

H-Towner/ Malik-
I never heard of Osteo med until a presentation was given at my school during my 2nd year as an undergraduate. At first, i was a little skeptical with what they were demonstrating, because all i have ever know was allopathic medicine...So, i started following up on osteopathic medicine through conferences and shadowing, and decided that osteopathic physicians know just as much, if not more than allopathic physicians. Not only do osteopaths study under the same workload and curriculuum as allopaths, they take patient care a step further by studying and mastering OMM.

As for my history, in a nutshell: bombed my first year as an undergrad, finished strong in my 2nd, 3rd and 4th year, volunteered in ER and a children's hostpital, did research and extra curric on campus, and shadowed allopaths and osteopaths.

My interview is coming up with COMP (12/13) and I am pretty nervous. COMP is my first choice. Hopefully all the hard work pays off!

Sorry for the late reply H-Town! Just finished my Finals this week...Good luck in applications.

O

Don't be nervous Oscar. My interview was very low key. I had two interviewers and the interview went smoothly. Know why you want to be a DO and what the "philosophy" means to you. Breathe deeply and go for it!

Thanks Falconer!

I've been keeping up with your posts, and your advice has been great...Congratulations on your acceptance to COMP!!! Hope everything works out this Thursday...O

Hey Oscar, I got to say I agree with falconer. The interview is very laid back and not a stress at all. You might want to visit the interviewfeedback.com site because they did ask me a couple of questions from that site. Good luck and hope to see you next year!!!

Ariel

Today is the day. I'm packing up my daughter in her kiddie seat and hand delivering my deposit!

31097: I am sorry to hear about your letter. If it helps, I did not get in my first year applying. In fact most people I talk to applied multiple times.
As far as your numbers, I had a 24 for mcat and a 3.3 culmulative avg. Numbers are just a guide. If I had your scores, I would to try the mcat again. Avg scores I think are around 25 or 26. Even if you increase your score only 2 points it will show that your dedication. You can also try to increase your community service by volunteering at a hospital, gaining some EMT experience or try to have other non academic humanistic things to mention on your application/interview.
Good luck and hang in there! The letter may bother yout this year, but you will forget about it when you get in next year ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a hard look at COMP and whether you feel it would be the best place to do your medical education. fact is, they have lost 10 freshmen already this semester...ouch!

Maybe someone from your class should ask about board scores and how well COMP stacks up against the rest. Why does COMP teach 130 hours more of gross anatomy than any other school? And that is nothing to say of the 15 last year who failed biochemistry...

Ariel and Falconer:

Thanks for the advice for interviewing! Just finished Thursday 12/13! I felt really good about the interview, and glad you guys informed how relaxed and laid back the process was. The interviewer really wanted to get to know me besides the numbers! Hopefully I'll be hearing good news soon...Again, thanks for all the advice!
O

Sounds like someone has an axe to grind

theghostdo200x, did you use the screen name YOSH2 before? Are you the one that's always complaining?

Hey Newbies!
This is the Original Yosh.....no numbers after my name...
Just wanted to say hello and congratulate you all on your acceptances. Medical school is difficult and hard. Being a MS1, in the last 2 weeks we have had the better part of 9 exams...absolutely CRAZY!!!
Just when I thought I was gonna fall completly apart...we got our schedules for next semester.
Our course load this Fall was no doubt rigorous...exams every Monday from Labor Day weekend on...and it takes a lot.....alot..(We had the Monday of the AOA conference with no exam..so we did have "one" Monday off)
Next semester we have exams every 2-3 weeks and start on the systems approach...so the core is no more...Thank God!!
If you want to ask questions..people in my class will all be receptive...just e-mail is individually...especially those of us who aren't anonomous..I always respond(being from New York I am ALWAYS told "How DIRECT my responses are.." If you have questions...ASK AWAY!!
Every school has its problems and we are far from with out ours (**** is what it is....) but living in reality...there are problems everywhere, and people must learn how deal with and overcome them.

Best of luck to you all....and please say a prayer that I passed Biochemistry....

Happy Holidays

--Soon to be back in NY Yosh
Home Sweet Home...

theghostdo200x-
It is fair and honest to bring these to light to help students decide what school would provide the best "fit" for them. I should just point out that in fairness, one should write about the good as well as the bad. Being lopsided about advice can sound exaggerated, whether true or not. "Rumors" are just that for the time being.. rumors. I choose to take a lot of things I hear with a grain of salt until I can hopefully find out things for myself. Rumors are notorious at med schools anyway and can easily be blown out of proportion from what I've seen and heard this semester.

Regarding our biochemistry professor, do you feel he is so unprofesional as to let matters in biochemistry affect his judgement as head of the academic committee? Understandably, he would probably be familiar with a student who comes before the academic committee, but it could be said that another professor who has relatively rigid standards could be sitting at the head of the committee. Would that make a world of difference? I also feel that Dean Lenz would pay special attention to what goes on in the academic committee as one of his responsibilities is to keep up with the status of the MS-I's and MS-II's at the school and see to it that the standards of the school are raised, not lowered.

What else to comment on.. the biochemistry course. Yes, last year there were a number of students that failed the course. There are underlying reasons for that because I think otherwise the curve and averages would've been more favorable towards the students, but regardless of how I will end up doing in biochemistry, I do feel like I learned more useful information in that class than almost any other. We tend to do very well with biochemistry on the boards from what I hear.

There is no doubt our first semester is difficult both time-wise and material-wise. Honestly, administration says they are working to change the hours and they did drop the credits for some classes through suggestions of the second year class.. these changes work towards our benefit. It's a big deal to lighten the courseload though.. because it doesn't involve just one class, but coordination with all the other courses/professors as well. I feel there will always be something to complain about with administration.. aren't there always things to complain about with our government?

At any rate, I'm not sure what else to say except that perhaps my GPA will be hurting a litle bit, but personally, by surviving here I feel I can survive in pretty adverse conditions and that does give me some confidence. However, I have no doubts that I will get sufficient preparation for the boards and become a competent physician from the training provided by the school... anything else is up for me to decide.

31097- I too am sorry about the rejection letter. I do think the MCAT score was a main source of concern from the adcom.. but that being said, you know where you can improve. I agree with teloola that around a 25-26 will do a world of good for you (of course, higher is even better). Taking the MCAT another time and getting your score up there will definitely show you have the dedication when applications come around again. It also took me two years to get into medical school. In the meantime, keeping active with other activities to show more interest in the health care profession (as time and family permit) are definitely helpful I think. Hope this helps.

Yosh- Such warm wishes.. right before you go back and freeze in that triangular-shaped state up there. Well, I shouldn't complain.. I'm going back to a state that looks like a starfish.. haha. But.. I'll be back after Christmas to hang out with any stragglers..

Bostongirl- did you like it down here while you were visiting?

oscar_meyer- I'm glad you liked your interview down here. I thought exactly the same thing.. they were trying to get to know me better aside from what was down on paper (not like I have much on paper anyway heh). If I'm not mistaken, you'll hopefully hear something by late next week.. if not, perhaps the week afterwards.

Good luck!

*Oh yeah, just like Yosh, if you have any individual questions you'd like to directly ask me, just e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll get back to you. I'm trying to learn as I go, but I'll try to help however I can..

where do these people find so much time complaining? please tell me...why can't people deal with their own problems. jeez, first yosh2 now dis guy?

anyway, now that I'M done complaining...

you people gonna come out and watch the soccer games next semester. it's looking like we got a sweet team (girls out nember the guys on our team, YES!).

two more to go, finals haven't been as bad as i thought, then again, i haven't been getting much sleep...o/k i need to stop because i'm babbling. maybe some pathology slides will get the blood pumping.

KEEP THOSE ADMISSIONS COMMING!!! CONGRATS ALL.
~pyoj

as melancholy stated it is important to state the good with the bad. first the good, Drs. Khan, Olgesby(sp), Wong, Leo, Merkel, Gilbert and the fact that zagornin is no long in the administration. comp is also located in california, close to some ski resorts and within driving distance to` the beach.

now the bad, COMP's level 1 COMLEX scores are BELOW AVERAGE on every measure except one, and that one is not anatomy or biochem and yes these numbers to include last summers comlex exam.

another bad thing, last year comp taught 285 hours of anatomy and embryo compared to the average of 171 for all the other osetopathic schools and an average 158 for allopathic schools. this is an interesting situation since comp scores below average on comlex anatomy.

just a question, why did comp hire a biochem professor who couldn't get tenure at the last medical school he taught at? curious, very curious and no it wasn't Dr. Merkel.

my reason for bringing this to light is so hopefully noone will be caught unaware and possibly make a choice which they may regret later as i do. i had options and i failed to fully check out comp.

I don't understand why people won't sign their name to what they want post???

Everyone has **** to say..and people don't want to own up to it???

All this mystery...random numbers, stats and comments...

I just don't get it...Can you tell this makes me crazy??

Two more exams....and I am like Simon and Garfunkel...."Homeward Bound"

New York....New York...the city so nice..they named it twice....

Hi everyone,

I'd like to throw in my two cents. I went through everything that people on this message board talk about regarding the class of 2004. Some are true, and some are highly exaggerated. But, I wouldn't trade going here for anything else...and many would agree. The general feeling (at least from what I get from my classmates) is that though there are problems, we like it here. We have a strong bond between our classmates and the majority of us recognize that there are problems at this school just like any other medical school in the country. So what do you to about it? Most of us deal with it and voice our opinions to make some positive changes by going through class representatives and arranging meetings. There are a few that like to bitch and moan and do nothing. These same people challenge publicly and rudely and the result is just instilling anger within the professors. And you're right YOSH, if people are going to gripe, they should put their name down. The education here is done well. If their job is to have us learn material, then they do a good job of providing information. Granted some professors have difficulty conveying the information, but the info is all there.

I've made really good friends here at COMP; colleagues for the rest of my life. If what you are looking for is a quality medical education, you will get it here at COMP. Believe it or not, COMP is trying to reduce the hours. But you have to understand that change takes time. The DO Class of 2005 has a better setup of anatomy then our class did, and it will only get better with the classes thereafter. The faculty lounge has a huge calender for the faculty to look at and work on for the expected changes in the Class of 2006. COMP has already reduced hours (units) for our class and for the MS-I's. Again...change takes time!

My advice.....no matter how bad it gets here, this school still has way too many positives about it. When you decide what school you want to go to, just find out what you will fulfill your personal wants and goals.

And for your information, I will leave my name. I suggest that if you have major complaints, you do the same.

Arnold Cuenca
President-DO Class of 2004

arnold, you did as most of the comp apoligists do, cite the freindships you have made at comp as the most significant positive about the school or as
some sort of indication of the quality of the education at comp. you would have made these types of freindships at any med school you attended.

how do you reconcile the fact that last years board scores were below average in every measure with your beleif that the education is good at comp. good compared to what? we just recently had a biochem final, when the number is finally made public (that is after kiick gets through doctoring the exam) we will see the product of supposed good teaching, 40% failure rate prior to his form of a curve.

another item, check out the AOA journal Vol 101, #11, table 2 page 655, it shows the decrease in the number of comp grads matched by the AOA into internships. under our new leadership we have gone from 45% getting matched in 1999-2000 to 30% in 2000-2001, what caused this major decrease from 45 to 30%?

anonymous student- I appreciate this "new" information you're bringing to light, although I hope you don't mind me saying, some may be a little skeptical unless a name is put behind your screen name.. or at least pass along a reference for all the numbers including lowered board scores in the majority of categories... that would definitely help out those interested in COMP. I am also curious as to what the board pass rates have been for COMP within the past 4-6 years.. not just within the most recent years.

it appears that the OJ jury needs more evidence. thats great if you don't take my word for it, go see charlie golden. one of our classmates gave him a copy of an internal report authored by someone in the COMP admin office detailing our ciriculum, board scores and average MCAT of people admitted. the board scores go back I beleive 6 or 7 years. i will cut and paste the numbers here as well.

in regards to the below average board scores i have alluded to. the average refers to the average scores for all the osteo schools. it would be very interesting to see what our performance on the USMLE is, unfortunately i don't know where that info is.

Anonymous student,

How is the education good at COMP? An education is as good as you want to make it. Again, I believe and the majority (again, I admit there will ALWAYS be a few exceptions) believes that the education we get here is good. I learn and make an effort to learn. Some students expect "spoon-feeding". Some professors here don't do that.

As for board scores. I know are pass rate is somewhere in the 90's, and I do know that the board scores are lower with respect to averages. I have seen the numbers last year. But is that the fault of the education here? Maybe. But what about the responsibility of SELF? What about how YOU study? How do YOU prepare for boards? What do YOU want in life? You want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon? Study hard and do well on your boards by LEARNING the material and STUDYING effectively. If you're that motivated, board score averages are not going to affect your desire to reach your goal. Ask yourself...will these board scores reflect how you will do? Will you let others performance affect your own. It's time you stopped blaming others for your problems and take responsibility for your education.

Here's something interesting for you. When I used to sit back and watch ER, I enjoyed the storylines, but I had very little idea about what they were talking about regarding medicine. Now when I sit down and watch that show, I am amazed at how much I know. I can sometimes make the correct differential diagnosis based on the symptomology of the patient, and figure out the treatment, and even anticipate what direction the show is going because they are intentionally (story-wise) using the wrong treatment. It's awesome! That is only ONE way of knowing that I've learned the material. I also sometimes do some work in a clinic and I apply what I've learned at school to the patients that I see. I make the differential diagnosis, think of possible treatments.

I love your negativism. Look at what you're saying. Dr. Kiick will intentionally "doctor" the exam, failing 40% of the students. Are you kidding me? From what I have heard from a lot of MS-I's, that test was difficult, but doable.

You complain so much anonymous student. I have been told that you have dropped out of COMP. If that is true, I am sorry. But I cannot allow you to run a smear campaign of COMP without defending the positives about this university. NO UNIVERSITY IS PERFECT, but again I am happy here, happy with the education that I have, happy with my colleagues, happy with the OMM department, and happy going to medical school in general, DESPITE the negatives that exist at that school. And from receiving lectures by COMP alumni here, I KNOW that I will have the potential to become a good physician, and THAT IS WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT TO ME.

Again, if you want to take a stand, MAKE YOURSELF PUBLIC! Stop hiding behind an anonymous name make yourself known! Stop whining and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Arnold

arnold, you did as most of the comp apoligists do, cite the freindships you have made at comp as the most significant positive about the school or as
some sort of indication of the quality of the education at comp. you would have made these types of freindships at any med school you attended.

how do you reconcile the fact that last years board scores were below average in every measure with your beleif that the education is good at comp. good compared to what? we just recently had a biochem final, when the number is finally made public (that is after kiick gets through doctoring the exam) we will see the product of supposed good teaching, 40% failure rate prior to his form of a curve.

another item, check out the AOA journal Vol 101, #11, table 2 page 655, it shows the decrease in the number of comp grads matched by the AOA into internships. under our new leadership we have gone from 45% getting matched in 1999-2000 to 30% in 2000-2001, what caused this major decrease from 45 to 30%?

melancholy-

yeah, i did like it a lot when I visited! I'm still waiting to hear something though. It's been almost 2 weeks and I keep hurrying home after work to check the mail but so far nothing. i'll let you know what happens! I thought the interview went well, both interviewers were very nice and friendly. Plus the day I was there it was gorgeous weather. I'm definitely glad i made the long trip out there and hope i get accepted!

To all of those in the Class of 2006, CONGRATULATIONS. You have gotten into medical school and that is a difficult task to achieve. Your colleagues in the 2005 class look forward to meeting you soon.
I am sorry for all of the negatism that has invaded your site. I can say that it is not a coincidence that all of the lenghty negative talk has been by the same 2 people. There are about 180 students in the class of 2005. If only 2 people are pissed off, then COMP can't be doing so badly.
Allow me to correct some of the information posted. After talking personally with Dr. Merkel, 7 people have withdrawn from the MS1 class. Atleast 2 of those people had family problems, late adds, or was working during their first sememster. Administration feels that 7 is too many to lose and is taking measures to not loose anymore students. Dr. Merkel would not give me specifics but alluded to the fact that admissions would be affected and everything would be done not loose anymore students this year.
Dr. Merkel further said that 14 people failed biochem last year. He and Dr. Kiick both graded remediation essays in June and that only 1 person failed the essay remediation exam. After the essay, the person was allowed to take an oral remediation exam.
To the ghost and anonymous student: stop raining on the newbies parade! Don't you remember the feeling when you got the magic letter? I am all for informing next years class, but this smear campeign is ridiculous. Respectfully, maybe if you spent more time in class and studying and less time bitching maybe life at COMP would be better for you.

WOW....good post...that was ALL YOU GIRL!

DAMN!!!

Look out!!!

I agree 100% by the way!!!

Mess with the bull, you'll get Teloola's HORNS

*bump* while i'm on my vacation in Houston.. heh.

Kinda cool.. I recently picked up an edition of the Reader's Digest in my house and flipped to the medicine section.. lo and behold, a full-page ad from the AOA! Regardless of the fact that it still advertises treating the "whole patient", it's still good to have publicity here and there.

I wanted to also provide an entertaining experience I had the other day. When I went to get my first eye checkup in two years, the optometrist had me go with his assistant (who was a 4th year opt. student) to get my K values measured for contacts. When I told him I was a DO student, he became more excited.. even telling me he would always go to a DO over an MD. Apparently, he had a slipped disk and whereas the MD had prescribed him some ibuprofen and just told him to strength his abdominal muscles, he went to a DO at TCOM who used OMT to slip the disk back into place and relieve the pain. Granted the disk was going to slip out again sometime, he still said he would go back time and time again.

I have to profess that I did tell him in the end, what matters the most is what a doctor makes of him/herself and the initials don't mean much. Plenty of DO's don't practice their OMT and thus don't really use it in their clinical setting.. which is fine as well since it's their choice. He was actually treated by one of the OMM profs at TCOM.. so obviously the technique was probably a little more advanced. Still, it does go to show that there are some benefits to keeping up with OMT and even look for extra training in it. I know that put a smile on my face hearing him say wherever he goes, he always recommends DO's to his friends/family.

Sappy story.. probably not that practical, but still good nontheless.
:)

Awwww...Shucks Lanny....you are such a cheese ball Sapp....but I love ya anyway....even if you are Type II Somatic Dysfunction: Flexed, Sidebent Right, Rotated Left.

Merry Christmas....

Ummm... Hello Yosh??!!? Didn't you mean Type I Somatic Dysfunction?? Type II's are on the same side.

Your friendly OMM TA :)
Eric

COMP 2006,

I just wanted to congratulate you guys on making it into COMP. That's a wonderful accomplishment!If you've gotten in by now, you still have some time to have some fun before you start school. Unfortunately when I was admitted, I got in 3 weeks prior so I didn't get to enjoy myself before... so make the most of it now.

As for all the negative comments, you're always going to have those in your class that are bitter. It's just natural, there's 2 sides to every coin. The bottom line is that school is what you make of it, if you do well you'll do well and vice versa. I've gotten sick of all the whiners and the those who blame the school for the misfortunes that they put upon themselves. So do what my old football coach used to say, "Be accountable for yourself!" and you'll do fine.

Again, congrats and welcome to the COMP family!

Now I'm off to x-mas shopping...
Eric, MSII

(Embarassed)

That would be a Type I....as type II are on the same side...What would I do without my FAVORITE Filapino? Thanks for the "good eye"

mea culpa mea culpa

Needless to say...I pulled an 88 on the OMM written exam...so it is all good..

We need to go a party together on Friday when we are back....think ya can pull something together with Nick and the crew at the house???

I have no way to get in touch with him...

whaddya think??

Signed the Lowly MS1...

Have you checked out the 2005 ramblings???

I was reading everyone's posts. How does everyone knows each other. Well, congrats to those that got in. And good luck to those that are trying....like myself. Well just wanted to introduce myself....get acqainted and all....I'm from so. cali. i'll reveal more of myself at a later time....if anyone gots advice for someone trying for both DO and MD....just give me a hollar..or post...or whatevers.
always,

Anonymous Student,
You discuss COMLEX scores as if they are the definitive component to one's future success. Do you think that residency directors look only at your numbers? I have talked to many residents and directors and the common theme is that it is more important to be dependable, hard working and a team player than to be in the 90th percentile on the COMLEX. It is far more important to be enthusiastic and open to learning then to be a know-it-all like yourself. You can fool yourself into thinking that straight A's and high board scores equate to a superior physician versus someone who is in the middle of the pack, but I feel you will be disappointed. I am not sure why I am telling you this. I should just keep quiet and let you go on with your negative attitude and high board scores. I am sure that you will impress everyone you meet in your rotations and will secure the finest residency. You have got is all figured out in only one semester of medical school. Amazing! :p

I made it! I received my acceptance December 24th! What a great Christmas present...Thanks to everyone on the COMP threads for the advice and help, especially squashing all the anxiety in regards to interview day...Good luck to everyone else applying to the COMP class of 2006!

O

outgolfing- hey.. did you try IM'ing me before? Sorry... I must've konked out or been away or something. Most of the MS-I's that post now know each other because we were pretty tight from posting on SDN before school started.. and most of us get along to some degree :p . Are you applying right now? So you play golf.. I'm trying to learn golf right now. Got any good suggestions for golf lessons in the area? :)

oscar- AWESOME.. CONGRATS! I'm glad we could help you out here. Just don't forget to keep in touch on SDN.. we're always around to answer questions and give tips as it becomes time to make preparations for moving and school. Enjoy your well-deserved holidays!

Hey Oscar congrats on your acceptance, I'll be looking foward to meeting ya in the fall!!!

Melancholy--how did head and neck anatomy go for ya (pretty grueling huh) and hey if ya ever needs some stellar slides for a cerebral angiogram presentation ya know who to talk to..

Well, hope everyone's holidays are going great and that ya'll are able to party it on down for new years eve!!

ariel- hey.. thanks for the holiday greetings. we actually do head and neck in January when we get back for about four week and have our exam. At that point, our anatomy course is finally complete! In the meantime, the professor did give us some "homework" to look over during the holidays... it remains to be seen how much people will have done when we all get back from break...

melancholy,
I don't think I IM you....i don't remember....but, yeah...i'm in the process of applying ...but, haven't heard from the DO schools..i applied kinda late...well, my lost....anyways...golf...i started playing golf about 4 years ago...wish i had started earlier...i never got a lesson..but, have done decently for myself...i shoot in the low 80's ....if you're starting out....get someone that knows how to play ...and ask them to help you...watch the golf channel...look at golf magazines....it all help....cuz lessons are expensive...i think you should only take lessons...if you continue to struggle trying to get started in golf...or you want to be really good and serious....well, talk to all of you later...thanks for the reply.
;)

outgolfing- Hey.. I hope you hear from some schools soon, but if you haven't gotten any response from them, don't forget to call once in awhile to make sure nothing has been sent in the mail yet. People sometimes get accepted months into this year, so don't sweat it just yet.

I've been trying to take the opportunity during my break to figure out a consistent swing for myself. Reading some books and watching golf helped.. unfortunately, I have no cable in my apartment and the golf magazine subscriptions haven't come in just yet. I did notice an improvement a few days ago after I made some important adjustments, but tonight I was a bit peeved since the range was closing early with no notice and I ended up getting frustrated and hitting a bunch of bad balls. I think golf will be a good lesson in stress management.. I don't even get that fired up about school stuff usually hehe.

I got my acceptance the same day Oscar! Nice christmas present! Course I'm from the Northeast so i'm still waiting to hear from schools here too, but i really loved COMP so I may well end up there!

Congratulations on your acceptance BostonGirl...it was a great christmas present! You are probably waiting for a few others and I wish you the best! My heart is set on COMP, but good luck on choosing the school which best suits you!!

Best, O

Congrats bostongirl.. if it's any reassurance, you can take the high and low temperatures for Boston and double them... because that's what it's like in Cali! :D :D ;)