WesternU MSBS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babydoctor101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I haven't seen a thread for the WesternU MSBS program for 2018-2019 so I thought I would start one! They just added this concentration to WesternU this year and I was wondering who else will be applying to this program!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an interview invite for this program. I was hoping to get an invite for the MSMS program but haven't heard back on that one. Has anyone else gotten an interview invite for this program?

I just got an interview invite for this program. I was hoping to get an invite for the MSMS program but haven't heard back on that one. Has anyone else gotten an interview invite for this program?

i also just got an invite for march 27. I came straight to SDN haha. I also hoped to get an invite for MSMS, but havent heard from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
i also just got an invite for march 27. I came straight to SDN haha. I also hoped to get an invite for MSMS, but havent heard from them.
Hope we both hear back for MSMS soon!

Congratulations to all who've got the invitations!
I'm wondering if anyone could share their stats? I'm only applying to the MSBS program because I don't have my DAT score yet, and MSBS has later deadline than MSMS.

I interviewed for the MSMS, but I finally got a decline... so now I'm applying for this program and hopefully, I'll hear from them soon for this program... but since I took the OAT (which is not accepted for this program), I now have to prepare and take the GRE... so worried...

I interviewed for the MSMS, but I finally got a decline... so now I'm applying for this program and hopefully, I'll hear from them soon for this program... but since I took the OAT (which is not accepted for this program), I now have to prepare and take the GRE... so worried...

I'm also so worried to take my DAT since I'm not ready for it yet... I'm rushing myself to make it before the deadline... I totally understand that you would be under pressure to take GRE... But it looks like your application was competitive enough to get an interview offer, so hang in there! I'm just hoping that the admission is not so competitive for the MSBS program since it's their new program..!

Reactions: 1 users
For the MSBS program, I've heard rumors that it's not as competitive as the MSMS, but who knows. On the website for the MSBS it states that there is no minimum score (but I'm always cautious about that).
I'm also so worried to take my DAT since I'm not ready for it yet... I'm rushing myself to make it before the deadline... I totally understand that you would be under pressure to take GRE... But it looks like your application was competitive enough to get an interview offer, so hang in there! I'm just hoping that the admission is not so competitive for the MSBS program since it's their new program..!

For the MSBS program, I've heard rumors that it's not as competitive as the MSMS, but who knows. On the website for the MSBS it states that there is no minimum score (but I'm always cautious about that).
Yeah, and its a new program which kind of worries me. I haven't heard about any "linkage" type things. Has anyone else heard anything about the success rate of this program?

Yeah, and its a new program which kind of worries me. I haven't heard about any "linkage" type things. Has anyone else heard anything about the success rate of this program?

I also haven't heard much about the success rate of this program... I do know that after being in the MSBS program for one year, you can apply to Professional School. If you don't get in, then you would continue on to your second year of the MSBS program and complete 12 units of elective courses.

I also haven't heard much about the success rate of this program... I do know that after being in the MSBS program for one year, you can apply to Professional School. If you don't get in, then you would continue on to your second year of the MSBS program and complete 12 units of elective courses.
Oh I actually didn't know that you can leave after the first year. If you do get accepted after the first year I am assuming you don't receive the Master's degree?

Oh I actually didn't know that you can leave after the first year. If you do get accepted after the first year I am assuming you don't receive the Master's degree?

actually, if you leave after the first year of MSBS, the credits you earn from your first year of Professional School apply to the second year of MSBS. so this situation you end up with an MSBS degree and the degree from your professional school.

oh and I emailed the counselor regarding the success rate, and he said that MSBS is a new program, so they dont have the statistics yet but he anticipates the success rate for msbs to be similar to msms. Hmmm... sounds interesting haha

if you dont mind me asking, what kind of questions did they ask you in the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just currently waiting on my GRE to submit my application. Do you mind sharing your stats you applied with?

actually, if you leave after the first year of MSBS, the credits you earn from your first year of Professional School apply to the second year of MSBS. so this situation you end up with an MSBS degree and the degree from your professional school.

oh and I emailed the counselor regarding the success rate, and he said that MSBS is a new program, so they dont have the statistics yet but he anticipates the success rate for msbs to be similar to msms. Hmmm... sounds interesting haha
oh wow that's actually very interesting. I think I am going to interview and see what they say on that day. If my interview goes well I would have this one and Midwestern MA Biomed Sciences(Glendale) to choose between. Do you have any advice on which one may be better to go with?

Some pros for WesternU is that there is a better chance of ending up at WesternU for dental school which is my top choice and location since I am from southern California.

Pros for Midwestern would be that its a reputable program.

Any thoughts?

What is the differences between their MSMS program and the MSBS program?

What is the differences between their MSMS program and the MSBS program?
The main difference is that the MSMS program is 1 year and the MSBS program is spread out over 2 years. Which means the MSMS program is a lot more intense. However, it has been around A LOT longer than the MSBS program so the MSMS program has a linkage to WesternU's DO School as well as their other Professional Programs (i.e. Dental, Optometry, etc.). For example, if you are applying to WesternU's DO Program, they require an MSMS GPA of 3.1-3.2 (I believe) and a MCAT score (I believe a minimum of 494) to be guaranteed an interview. The MSBS program does not yet have this linkage, however, that does not mean you don't have a good chance of getting an interview if you do well in their MSBS program because the program is modeled after the MSMS program.

I see, so the MSMS is more preferred if you are aiming to get into their DO program?

Does anyone know of anyone who is currently in the MSBS program right now? If so, what are their thoughts on the program?

I see, so the MSMS is more preferred if you are aiming to get into their DO program?
I mean yes, but also no. You are just guaranteed an interview with a certain GPA/MCAT score but NOT guaranteed acceptance. So you could do exceptionally well in the MSBS program and get into their DO program. Don't let the linkage just for the MSMS discourage you from applying to the MSBS program! The MSMS program is definitely a lot more competitive to get into, so apply to both and hope you get into either or!
I, myself, am applying to the MSBS program as I was not able to get my test scores in time for the MSMS program. I am not letting the lack of linkage discourage me from applying to the program!

oh wow that's actually very interesting. I think I am going to interview and see what they say on that day. If my interview goes well I would have this one and Midwestern MA Biomed Sciences(Glendale) to choose between. Do you have any advice on which one may be better to go with?

Some pros for WesternU is that there is a better chance of ending up at WesternU for dental school which is my top choice and location since I am from southern California.

Pros for Midwestern would be that its a reputable program.

Any thoughts?

oh wow, i think they are both pretty good. in my opinion, I feel they both give you a good chance of getting into dental school.

I think its too late in the cycle for me to apply now. I might try to apply to the program if I don't get any acceptance this coming cycle.

if you dont mind me asking, what kind of questions did they ask you in the interview?
They actually made us sign a non-disclosure... they were very easy questions to answer, I hope that helps.

I think its too late in the cycle for me to apply now. I might try to apply to the program if I don't get any acceptance this coming cycle.
For MSBS? Definitely not too late. Deadline is Mid-April!

Ah, I meant it's too late for me since I won't be taking the MCAT until late July.
Oh gotcha. Well they also accept the GRE (minimum of 300+ composite score between Quant. and Verbal) if you can take it within the next weeks to apply!

For anyone who applied to both the MSMS and MSBS programs, did you change your personal statement for this program's application? @snehala @HeartForEyes @bsoe0

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!

thanks so much! i actually kept my original personal statement, and added a few sentences pertaining to the msbs program

Has anyone heard yet for the interview in April?

Hi, I got a invitation mail from school!
Congratulation! Do you mind if I ask you when did you submit the application? How long did it take for you to hear back from them?

I got my interview for the MSBS program on Tuesday via e-mail as well, hopefully I will see some of you there!

My application was just processed by EDS! How long did it take for you guys to hear back after your application was completed and processed?

My application was just processed by EDS! How long did it take for you guys to hear back after your application was completed and processed?
It seemed pretty fast for me... like 2 to 3 weeks. I hope this helps

Are there any pre-med students who chose to do the preprofessional track? I'm stuck between what track to choose!
I'm pre-optometry... I chose the pre-professionsl track... they told us at the interview to stay open minded... I hope this helps.

That does help. Does this mean they'll be changing the concentrations or that a person can jump between different concentrations?
They explained to us that if you start out pre-professional track that you can switch 2nd semester to research track, but not the other way around because the pre-professional track has didactic courses. So I also took it as a double entendre meaning they may offer us a seat but they may change us to where they feel we'll succeed best in.

Received an interview invite yesterday! Will be going to the May 8th interview!

You guys should think hard before going to this program. I don't think I met a single person in my class that did this program or heard about anyone in other classes. It's just a money making scam that the school runs.

This program track is brand new this year, as in, literally no one has done it before. Perhaps that's why no one in your class did it...?
They had MSBS for years. Maybe now it has a special linkage? I don't know.

I wonder how many students they accept for the msbs program? I still havent heard from them and I'm getting anxious.

I wonder how many students they accept for the msbs program? I still havent heard from them and I'm getting anxious.
They said they have no set number, but I was seeing the past classes were about 30... were you in the 1st interview or 2nd interview group?

They said they have no set number, but I was seeing the past classes were about 30... were you in the 1st interview or 2nd interview group?
I have not gotten an interview yet. I called and they said they are still making a decision on my application. I'm from PA so I need a bit of time to travel there. I was told that they have a seat for about 20 people.