WesternU MSMS Fall 2012/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplerox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had planned on applying to this last fall but plan fell apart due to some personal stuff. Now I will be applying for the Fall 2012 term. Anyone else ?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying as well! Has anyone completed their app yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if MCAT is required if i was to apply as a pre-DO? or will GRE suffice and I just have to take MCAT during the school year?

does anyone know if MCAT is required if i was to apply as a pre-DO? or will GRE suffice and I just have to take MCAT during the school year?

If you took the GRE that is fine for admission. I think you may need to take the MCAT during the program though. Here is what I took from the website for admissions:
If your ultimate goal is admission to a MD/DO program, then either a GRE or MCAT will suffice

If you took the GRE that is fine for admission. I think you may need to take the MCAT during the program though. Here is what I took from the website for admissions:
If your ultimate goal is admission to a MD/DO program, then either a GRE or MCAT will suffice

Yeah I recall seeing that, but for admission competitiveness factor, will it make a difference?

Yeah I recall seeing that, but for admission competitiveness factor, will it make a difference?

I guess I'm not sure about that. You can always check with one of the admissions advisors

I'll be applying here too and is my top choice for post bacc. Are you guys using the personal statement that you used to apply to med school or are you guys writing a new PS just for western?

This is my top choice as well. I used a little bit of what I had in my med school statement but I added a good portion that was specific to this application/western u

Isn't the westernU msms program very new? I would think to wait a while to apply to such a program because one is not certain of its efficacy or prestige. No?

I'm planning on applying. They're SO bad at relaying any info. I"m emailed one of the people in charge multiple times and she never replied back...makes me wonder if I even want to go to a program that doesn't have the decency to acknowledge you.

I know some people in the program and they like it. Anyone applying to any other ones?

Has anyone submitted yet? I submitted a few weeks ago and had sent my trascripts/prereq. worksheet even before that but my application still says incomplete. I tried emailing them for the last couple weeks but I haven't received a response. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or knows if they are even working on the apps yet.

Can I ask how getting an MS/MS works in terms of helping with med school? since it's a masters, will that count on the AMCAS towards cumulative GPA at all? Or do you matriculate directly into their med school program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when they will start reviewing applications/when interviews will be held?

I submitted my application to the MSMS tonight. It looks to be a really nice program; however, I'm not putting all my eggs in this basket. I've applied to LECOMs post bacc, UNT Health Science Centers MSMS, and the USF MSMS. I wish you all luck and perhaps we'll see each other as classmates in the fall. :)

If you apply via AACOMAS, the grades that you make will count towards your science and overall GPA (AACOMAS doesn't seperate your graduate or undergraduate grades into seperate categories like AMCAS does). However, if you apply via AMCAS, the grades will be calculated as a seperate graduate overall and science GPA. If your need is to raise your undergraduate GPA, an undergraduate-level post bacc program may be in your best interest. However, those grades would be calculated as a seperate post bacc GPA on the AMCAS and on the AACOMAS, it will count towards your science and overall GPA.

I've heard that there is a linkage between the MSMS and Western's D.O. program (there is another thread about this) but I don't know how many got in. I'd like to know if MSMS students got into other D.O. or M.D. programs.

for the personal statement, did you guys just answer the prompt with "I want to be a _____ and think that Western's program would be appealing because____" that type of thing? or did you use something similar to your med school personal statement, that has more of a storylike flow to it?

thanks

Can I ask how getting an MS/MS works in terms of helping with med school? since it's a masters, will that count on the AMCAS towards cumulative GPA at all? Or do you matriculate directly into their med school program?

Hi Desklamp,
As far as the GPA concerns with AACOMAS (I've not tried AMCAS), grades get mixed in with undergraduate studies.

MSMS helps prepare students for medical school by strengthening the student and their application from many angles. For one, we start off in the summer in ISAC (Summer Intensive Anatomy) along with some of the DO students. We dissect cadavers alongside the medical students, sit in the same lectures, and take the same exams. In the fall, we begin MCBL, followed by PBS. These classes closely mimic the DO program, MCBM and PBL, respectively, and are there to prepare you for the following year in medicine. This is separate from the medical students, but the material is similar. Moreover, these classes are a source of assessment for your readiness into medical school. I've been told by MSMS 2011 (who've matriculated into WesternU's DO program) that these classes helped out a lot in medical school. Students from last year are doing well in the DO school... they are at top of the class (I've been told from other students and teachers), among other things. Also, the program provides an MCAT prep course for students who need it, so that they can take the MCAT. In addition, the program provides many unique opportunities to meet faculty members at the school and to gain shadowing/volunteering experience. Finally, students are required to work in a lab, whether it is bench work or it is work in the clinic at school.

The workload is high... outright intimidating at times. But, the reward is also equally high.

Good luck to all applicants. This program is definitely worth it. For what it has provided for me so far, it is a blessing.

Best,
Mick

does anyone know if there's a character/word limit for the personal statement? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

And for the resume did you guys list your extra cirriculars too or just employment/schools attended?

does anyone know if there's a character/word limit for the personal statement? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

And for the resume did you guys list your extra cirriculars too or just employment/schools attended?

i called admissions and they said that the character limit is 35,000!

i called admissions and they said that the character limit is 35,000!

NO WAY! Someone told me it can't be more than 500 words so I majorly cut down (and still am at 600 :/ )...is that how long yours was?

What are you're guys plans for the resume? I'm not sure if I should do a formal resume or just list my EC's. If you do a formal one do you still list things like medical conferences attended or one day volenteer events?

What are you're guys plans for the resume? I'm not sure if I should do a formal resume or just list my EC's. If you do a formal one do you still list things like medical conferences attended or one day volenteer events?

I thought it said to just list employment and schools attended, where did you read to add ecs to it, as well? I figured since they want a copy of our aacomas they would have all the ecs listed?

I thought it said to just list employment and schools attended, where did you read to add ecs to it, as well? I figured since they want a copy of our aacomas they would have all the ecs listed?

Yea that makes sense if you submitted your AACOMAS but what if you are not a re-applicant? You are right it only ask for work and schools attended, but it does say the AACOMAS is optional.

Yea that makes sense if you submitted your AACOMAS but what if you are not a re-applicant? You are right it only ask for work and schools attended, but it does say the AACOMAS is optional.

I would assume that it wouldn't hurt. The essay isn't enough time to talk about your EC's so perhaps the resume would be more appropriate

Has anyone heard anything about when interviews may start?

Good luck! I should be there with you in about 3 weeks

applied to the program about a week ago. Let's see what happens.

I just got accepted to Touro's MHS program anyone else apply to the school?

For the resume, I see a text box and the directions say "Please copy your resume information into this space."

Where are you seeing that it only asks for work and schools attending and AACOMAS is optional?

Interviews can begin as early as February! Any offers yet?

No offers yet. They said they have not set the interview dates yet.

When did you guys submit your applications?

I just submitted mine a couple of days ago so it still shows as "Incomplete: Items Outstanding"

I got an email saying that my application was ready for evaluation and will be sent to the department a couple weeks ago. My status online says "application materials received"

Anyone know what the linkage is like for this program? What percentage of the graduates go to Western's DO program? Also, any percentages on total matriculation to any DO program after the MSMS?

I've asked them, here is the response. No guarantees.

"...after intensive summer anatomy is over and as well as Molecular Biology the Assistant Dean of COMP looks at my whole pool and selects those to present to the COMP admissions committee--the committee makes the final decision--you have to maintain good comportment and professional behaivor, you have to get a 3.0 GPA or higher and you have to have a 24 or higher with no 1 score below a 7 on the MCAT. I hoppe this helps."

I also applied to this program. Has anyone heard anything yet?

two days ago received a notification that they will be reviewing my application. I also got off the phone with one of the advisors. They will be reviewing and sending out interviews after March.

Last edited:
Let the waiting...........................................................begin

I just finished my application to this program and noticed as part of the application requirements it states we need to email in

"PREREQUISITE WORK SHEET (PLEASE EMAIL DIRECTLY TO EDS)
Indicate how you have or will have fulfilled the prerequisites. The prerequisite
work sheet must be filled out completely otherwise your application will be
considered incomplete. "

Anyone know anything about this?

You have to complete the worksheet on a separate document and then email it to them.

You have to complete the worksheet on a separate document and then email it to them.

Is the worksheet available on the site or do we create a document listing the courses we took that correspond to the requirements?

Is anyone else having major issues with prereqs? They don't seem to accept any of the courses that I took so I'm deficient in like 3 different categories according to them even though I have double the amount of credit hours per category. UGH. I think I'm gonna withdraw my app from here.