Forum Members We've Updated the Site!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexj-12

Reaction score
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The new themes look off so had to go back to classic basic. Also glitch in notifications that keep sending alerts anytime i click an SDN link
Hey there! Could you provide extra information on the alert issue? If you could provide screenshots or a link where this is occurring that would help us to track down the issue :)

Ahhhhhh my eyes, I haven't seen day mode in years

Far more usable in most aspects but I wish we had a recent topics button on the default mobile layout, it isn't present on Android and adds to the number of clicks needed for each site visit

Reactions: 1 users
Ahhhhhh my eyes, I haven't seen day mode in years

Far more usable in most aspects but I wish we had a recent topics button on the default mobile layout, it isn't present on Android and adds to the number of clicks needed for each site visit
Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep that in mind to see if it's something that we can add to the site

@alexj-12, it seems like the layout on mobile with layouts other than basic is quite large and unwieldy - and notifications are condensed such that it's not shown whether a notification is coming from a message or from a thread.

I'm using basic on both desktop and mobile and have hardly any changes (which is great!), but screenshots from friends using other themes are drastically different.

Reactions: 1 user
@alexj-12, it seems like the layout on mobile with layouts other than basic is quite large and unwieldy - and notifications are condensed such that it's not shown whether a notification is coming from a message or from a thread.

I'm using basic on both desktop and mobile and have hardly any changes (which is great!), but screenshots from friends using other themes are drastically different.
Would you be able to share those screenshots with me so that I can check out what you're referring to?

The account area was condensed into a single area to help save navigation space and leave room for more valuable items like our resources.

Would you be able to share those screenshots with me so that I can check out what you're referring to?

The account area was condensed into a single area to help save navigation space and leave room for more valuable items like our resources.
I'll spoiler it so it's not unwieldy for people to scroll past.

1628181610562.png

1628181636252.png

I much prefer the basic one and having those notifications separate (and having everything smaller so more is showing up on the screen at once), personally.

I don’t like the icons in the chat topic since it reduces the title length that is visible.

Who posted and what their avatar is, is leas important than the topic they have a Q about

I much prefer the basic one and having those notifications separate (and having everything smaller so more is showing up on the screen at once), personally.
Thanks for sharing those screenshots! That view is expected in order to make mobile browsing and switching between or interacting with content easier. We've provided tabs at the bottom of the page to allow you to quickly get to different parts of the site and we've also added a reply button to make it easier for you to add to a thread and up/down buttons so that you don't need to do a bunch of scrolling to get to the top or bottom of the page.

I don’t like the icons in the chat topic since it reduces the title length that is visible.

Who posted and what their avatar is, is leas important than the topic they have a Q about
Hey there, would you be able to show me a screenshot of the issue so that I can properly take a look at it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Typing in the search bar seems to scroll my page up?

(E): Logged into my acc + typing in searchbar scrolls my page up (Chrome; Windows machine). Tried it on:
- logged off + edge = normal
- logged off + chrome = normal
- logged on + chrome = weird upscrolling

Typing in the search bar seems to scroll my page up?

(E): Logged into my acc + typing in searchbar scrolls my page up (Chrome; Windows machine). Tried it on:
- logged off + edge = normal
- logged off + chrome = normal
- logged on + chrome = weird upscrolling
Would you be able to send me a video of this so that I can look into it further? I tried this also logged in using chrome and wasn't able to see this issue

Thanks for sharing those screenshots! That view is expected in order to make mobile browsing and switching between or interacting with content easier. We've provided tabs at the bottom of the page to allow you to quickly get to different parts of the site and we've also added a reply button to make it easier for you to add to a thread and up/down buttons so that you don't need to do a bunch of scrolling to get to the top or bottom of the page.
This is all good but I still agree that it would be best for notifications from private message vs other notifications be separate icons in the other views like dark which I use. It's intolerable to be that they're combined.

How do you get back to the basic mode?

And I agree, not a fan of the new layout, notifications being combined, etc

How do you get back to the basic mode?

And I agree, not a fan of the new layout, notifications being combined, etc
Hey there! You can choose the style you're using by clicking this button at the bottom of the page
Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 2.29.35 PM.png

Hey Alex! Here are a couple items I've noticed
- Double archive is showing on production
- The archive / categories search is showing on all internal pages, not just the articles & q&A pages
- The tertiary navigation is already displayed on the forums navigation
- on the forums, the search bar is so large, it’s making you scroll to see the rest of the navigation options - donate should at least still be static and prominent - is there a way to address that?

One more piece of feedback -- hate that I can't tell which threads have been read and which haven't. They're all black with a very, very faint difference in the bold (unread) vs regular. I don't know, I feel like everytime the forums change, it's for the more complicated and harder to use.

Reactions: 3 users
One more piece of feedback -- hate that I can't tell which threads have been read and which haven't. They're all black with a very, very faint difference in the bold (unread) vs regular. I don't know, I feel like everytime the forums change, it's for the more complicated and harder to use.

Are you using Dark mode or regular?

I feel the upgrade is causing more major issues for me even after logging out and clearing the cache. The new upgraded styles are practically unusable for me so i had to switch over to old basic/old basic dark.

found Dark Mode again - great for checking updates the millionth time in the middle of the night

1628219388199.png

Also it is more difficult to navigate pages on mobile using AC Dark. It was more user friendly before.

Hey Alex! Here are a couple items I've noticed
- Double archive is showing on production
- The archive / categories search is showing on all internal pages, not just the articles & q&A pages
- The tertiary navigation is already displayed on the forums navigation
- on the forums, the search bar is so large, it’s making you scroll to see the rest of the navigation options - donate should at least still be static and prominent - is there a way to address that?
Hey thanks for reporting this!
- Could you send me a link to where you're still seeing the double archive?
- These widgets are showing on all pages because the same page template is being used for all internal pages. I can see what we can do about adding an additional template though so that the category and archive widgets only show on article and Q&A pages.
- Could you send me a screenshot of the issue you're referring to?
-I'll see if there's anything we can do about making the search bar smaller and making the donate button static in the navigation bar.

I will look into this further on both light and dark mode and see if there are any text improvements we can make. We are currently using an unread indicator (red dot) to indicate the unread content as well:

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 7.52.35 AM.png

I feel the upgrade is causing more major issues for me even after logging out and clearing the cache. The new upgraded styles are practically unusable for me so i had to switch over to old basic/old basic dark.
Could you clarify what issues you're experiencing so that I can take a look?

Also it is more difficult to navigate pages on mobile using AC Dark. It was more user friendly before.
Would you be able to tell me what issues you're having with navigating the mobile pages?

Did you remove "Latest activity"? I don't see it anywhere. I was never a fan of it before but I found that it sometimes would report new posts that the "New posts" feature wasn't.

Hi. I’m having trouble finding my watched threads. Can you tell me how to get there? Thanks!

Reactions: 3 users
Would you be able to tell me what issues you're having with navigating the mobile pages?
Before at the top and bottom it would show page numbers like 125 126 127 Next and this made it a lot easier to hop around. Now all it gives you is

Screenshot_20210806-104407_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hey thanks for reporting this!
- Could you send me a link to where you're still seeing the double archive?
- These widgets are showing on all pages because the same page template is being used for all internal pages. I can see what we can do about adding an additional template though so that the category and archive widgets only show on article and Q&A pages.
- Could you send me a screenshot of the issue you're referring to?
-I'll see if there's anything we can do about making the search bar smaller and making the donate button static in the navigation bar.
The extra archives was fixed! This is how the navigation is showing within the forums - through the main site it's working correctly :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 3.27.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 3.27.49 PM.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 71
@alexj-12 so any time i visit a thread on SDN, the alerts icon keeps showing 3 notifications for a few seconds even though all my notifications are read

YxiLBhAIAvxb.jpg

After a few seconds, the 3 notifications disappear correctly

W5Sbpye4kkcP.jpg

The problem is if i'm in the midst of an ongoing discussion and leave to a different part of SDN, i keep seeing 3 notifications (as if they instantaneously happened in response to ongoing discussion) even though these 3 notifications don't exist.

I tried clearing cache, cookies, browser history etc and still no luck. I'm browsing on my phone with Android OS. Any help appreciated

EDIT: I fixed the glitch notification issue!

Last edited:
I clicked watch on threads but they aren't all showing up on notifications when someone posts. How do I fix this?

I'm not seeing the watched threads.
Trying to easily access my school's forum, but haven't been able to find the link.

Not getting notifications for forums I’ve turned on “watch” for. Not sure if this is an issue on my end or not.

I've found that if I type it in the address bar it will show; https://forums.studentdoctor.net/watched/threads/
That does work, @slinky74. I too am not getting notifications for all of my watched threads. But maybe I have too many watched threads!
I just now tried saving that URL for watched threads as a "bookmark" on my profile but couldn't get it to work
More detail of what I see:
If I refresh SDN I see "8" number of notifications for 1/2 second, then the number disappears.
Hmm, which of my many watched threads were those 8?
If I go to allopathic school specific threads for instance, some are in bold font suggesting I haven't read them.
If this is how I will have to find my watched threads, let me know :)

Last edited:
Did you remove "Latest activity"? I don't see it anywhere. I was never a fan of it before but I found that it sometimes would report new posts that the "New posts" feature wasn't.
Hi, yes we did. We simplified the forum navigation to make it easier to move through the pages of the site. You can find new posts here: New posts or under forums > new posts

The extra archives was fixed! This is how the navigation is showing within the forums - through the main site it's working correctly :)
Ah got it! This is the functionality within the forum software we use and it does not give the option to hide tertiary navigation items

Before at the top and bottom it would show page numbers like 125 126 127 Next and this made it a lot easier to hop around. Now all it gives you is

View attachment 341711
Hey there, this is something that seems to have changed within the functionality of the forum software we use and cannot be changed. Very sorry for any inconvenience this causes you!

@alexj-12 so any time i visit a thread on SDN, the alerts icon keeps showing 3 notifications for a few seconds even though all my notifications are read

View attachment 341720

After a few seconds, the 3 notifications disappear correctly

View attachment 341721

The problem is if i'm in the midst of an ongoing discussion and leave to a different part of SDN, i keep seeing 3 notifications (as if they instantaneously happened in response to ongoing discussion) even though these 3 notifications don't exist.

I tried clearing cache, cookies, browser history etc and still no luck. I'm browsing on my phone with Android OS. Any help appreciated

EDIT: I fixed the glitch notification issue!
Great, glad this issue was fixed!