WF vs In-State Option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi all,

I just wanted to get some outside perspective on the decision I am facing. I have been accepted to Wake Forest and ended up choosing it over other acceptances for the April 30th deadline. However, I also got accepted to my in-state school, East Carolina (Brody), today. Below are some pros and cons of each:

WF

Pros
-Much better ranked
-Better name recognition
-Good match list for a variety of specialties
-Generally more interesting, more competitive group of peers (i.e. come from all across the country)
-Better Step 1 Scores (just re-did curriculum, saw jump in Step 1 scores; really solid Step 1 preparation)
-Better inter-class collegiality
-Loved students/faculty I met there, both during interviews and Second Look

Cons
-More expensive school (~150k all in for me)
-No connections there yet, so getting into research would be tougher
-Caught between Level 1 Trauma Centers in Triangle/Charlotte, fewer high acuity cases at WF

ECU

Pros
-Much less expensive as it is in-state
-Smaller classes (more individual attention?)
-Great, existing support structure in Greenville already
-Trauma center for entire eastern NC, more diverse case set
-Special curriculum track to do quality improvement research in my field of choice
-Academically more likely to be in top of class (I have no idea, just more likely at ECU vs WF...)

Cons
-Worse Step 1 scores (not great preparation)
-Peers at ECU aren’t as objectively high achieving (i.e. undergrad institutions, academic preparedness, etc.)
-Match list oriented towards primary care (I’m more interested in specialties, including competitive ones)
-Not ranked
-Greenville…eh…

Anyways, I realize that both are really fine schools and my cons are not meant to be mean, they are just factors that I am personally considering. I don’t want to be the world’s next great research physician but I do want to keep the option open for some competitive specialties. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

wake! It seems like your cons for ECU are more significant than for wake. 150k isn’t too bad - what is the cost for ECU? Like someone said before, what are your goals? Do you want to stay and practice in state? What specialties, and do they have a home program at each school? Are you interested in research? All things to think about!

Also @AlphaDoctor at least put a disclaimer that you’re on the opposing school’s waitlist. OP came for genuine advice regarding both schools and even if that doesn’t factor in to your recommendation it should be at least mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what is the cost difference ? and what are your career goals.
The cost difference in total would be under $70k (which still hurts me to say lol) but I think that isn't too egregious a difference on a physician salary. I don't have set career goals but I would like to be competitive for surgical specialties should I decide to go that route. I appreciate you asking further questions!

wake! It seems like your cons for ECU are more significant than for wake. 150k isn’t too bad - what is the cost for ECU? Like someone said before, what are your goals? Do you want to stay and practice in state? What specialties, and do they have a home program at each school? Are you interested in research? All things to think about!
Thanks teenyfish for some good questions to ask myself. I am not dead set on staying in-state, so Wake is definitely a better option on that front due to name recognition. I'll have to look at the home programs at each school though. Definitely thinking about research so I will do my homework on that one too! Thanks for your help--it is nice to have an outsider's perspective!

Also @AlphaDoctor at least put a disclaimer that you’re on the opposing school’s waitlist. OP came for genuine advice regarding both schools and even if that doesn’t factor in to your recommendation it should be at least mentioned.
lol @AlphaDoctor I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on the waitlist movement and would love to have you as a classmate, but try to play fair on this one! I'm on your side rooting for ya!

Wake. the cost difference is not unreasonable, the opportunities and focus at each school are different. You dont want to end up at the other end of medical school and have regrets and what -ifs.