Whacked out Dreams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mln

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious... does anyone else have crazy dreams when they start to study this much? Where every time you close your eyes, you feel like you are spinning & tons of facts just swirl around you? I hate it because it feels like studying even in your sleep. Has anyone found a way to shut their brain off during the night so you don't have racing thoughts & weird dreams all night?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious... does anyone else have crazy dreams when they start to study this much? Where every time you close your eyes, you feel like you are spinning & tons of facts just swirl around you? I hate it because it feels like studying even in your sleep. Has anyone found a way to shut their brain off during the night so you don't have racing thoughts & weird dreams all night?

Last night I had a vivid dream where a woman asked me about the gram-staining properties of C. botulinum. I woke up in a cold sweat. No joke.

Members don't see this ad :)

All the time. I had to quit listening to Goljan when I went to bed.

Halo therapy (30-45min QD PM) helps. :laugh:

I've found myself half awake, half in the pseudo dreamlike state running through a series of semi-related facts from the day... it's odd. I think it's just our hippocampus doing its data cleanup thing.

It's funny, I thought I would never have another stress-related nightmare after the first semester of med school. I guess I was wrong. It's probably just the hippocampus defragmenting all the information it has accumulated over the course of the day.

I've found myself half awake, half in the pseudo dreamlike state running through a series of semi-related facts from the day... it's odd. I think it's just our hippocampus doing its data cleanup thing.

I've been having the same "nightmares" most of the nights for the past 2 weeks.

I've got 10 days til my exam, I better get myself an xbox soon or else I won't get a decent night's sleep!

Had one last night - went to take the test with my girlfriend (she's not a med student), and there were random people there from high school. It was pencil and paper, and the proctor was Mr. Feeney from Boy Meets World. I ended up spilling a plate of fruit and a bottle of wine on my test and was devastated because I couldn't get another. It was odd.

I was getting ready to come to the library to study this morning when I suddenly remembered this horrible dream I had last night.

I don't remember all the details but the gist of it was that President Bush was making a news brief that at a certain time within the next 24 hrs every country was going to set off its nuclear weapons simultaneously because an agreement couldn't be reached at a meeting. I was watching it at home with my family and everyone just started freaking out running around chaotically trying to figure out what to do next. We went outside and stared at the sky for a while (meanwhile everyone is still running around frantically). Worse thing was that we didn't know when the bombs were going off and everyone would be obliterated...Amongst all the hysterics, I was most concerned with finding my damn shoes, which were scattered somewhere throughout the house.
Weird

It was just a horrible dream altogether...ugh. 6 more days till D-day (6/23)

This is pretty funny that you posted this.....just the other day I was atempting to explain to my wife how right before I wake up, I get these wierd (I guess you can call them a form hypnopompic hallucinations) racing thoughts as if I am scanning SUPERFAST a whole bunch of medical jargon text, as if I was speedreading from a book. This started recently happening in the last couple weeks and I remember it happening back last november when I took pathology....the stuff us med. students have to deal with

took the beast on sunday. still having these dreams. some days i feel happy based on my dream performance...other days, not so much...=(

I've been having the same "nightmares" most of the nights for the past 2 weeks.

I've got 10 days til my exam, I better get myself an xbox soon or else I won't get a decent night's sleep!

Same here...got the same ones..then again I have had trouble sleeping for the past 6 months because of anxiety and I'm not an anxious person esp about exams. I think it helps to have some lag time between the end of study time and bed time.

For me the dreams (nightmares?) started after taking Step I - 9 nights in a row

hell yes. exactly. thought it was over with once i left the center. the fun has just begun. guess i'm a glass half empty kinda guy, but man this wait will be my undoing. i keep thinking of questions i missed. haven't slept very well at all.

You too!? I listen to Goljan before bed and I usually drift off after hearing a lecture or so.. I'll wake up a few hours later after some crazy dreams about xeroderma pigmentosum and realize I still have my earphones in. It's like having Goljan whisper sweet nothings to me about patho while I sleep.... wait, is that weird? lol
You too?!! Okay atleast i dont feel crazy.Ever since i started studying for this exam, not only are my dreams reallyyy whacked out but when i have trouble sleeping in general..
i do, also sometimes hear Goljan in my sleep!!!
lol....
Well, helps to know we are all in similar boats/situations..

I gotta figure out a way to stay sane during this process!!

Good luck everyone!

For me the dreams (nightmares?) started after taking Step I - 9 nights in a row

Same here. I had a couple of dreams with Step 1 stuff before I took it, but since I took it every once in a while I'll have the "Oh my god I did amazing dream" followed by the "I have to retake Step 1 dream".

And no I am not whining, but my subconscious must be :laugh: