What about Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor4dapoor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it wise to try to get into a 6 year program in Australia if I plan on practicing in the United States?

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to International forums where people who are attending those schools can answer the question.

Is it wise to try to get into a 6 year program in Australia if I plan on practicing in the United States?

Since you already have an undergraduate degree, you are not generally eligible for the 6 year programs.

What is wise is to try and get into a US program before considering going abroad for your medical education. Work on your gpa because even the Caribbean and Australian schools you are asking about have some standards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctor4dapoor,
I read a few of your other posts and if working in third world countries is really what you want to do and you have no intention of going back to America then studying outside the US might not be a bad idea. For instance, schools in New Zealand and (I think) Australia allow their students to do a total of three months (in two different years) anywhere in the world they want to go so this might allow you to develop the contacts you would need for later on. However the downside is with the dollar as low as it is, going to school here is probably more expensive than going to the states.

Australian medical schools should not be seen as a backup for US schools, most people who get into Australian schools usually have strong credentials. The country is not a dumping ground like the Caribbean and Iron Curtain medical schools. Australia is probably a decent choice if one wishes to practice in the US compared to a lot of other medical schools on the planet. Obviously its best to stay with US Allopathic and Osteopathic schools if the US is the goal country. I talked to a lot of PDs in the States, and they hold Australia in high regard.

Australian medical schools should not be seen as a backup for US schools, most people who get into Australian schools usually have strong credentials. The country is not a dumping ground like the Caribbean and Iron Curtain medical schools. Australia is probably a decent choice if one wishes to practice in the US compared to a lot of other medical schools on the planet. Obviously its best to stay with US Allopathic and Osteopathic schools if the US is the goal country. I talked to a lot of PDs in the States, and they hold Australia in high regard.

People in Australia do have strong credentials, but you have to agree that the entrance requirements are different from those in the US. For example, I got into UQ based solely on my MCAT score, with little consideration to my crappy GPA and no consideration to my extensive research/clinical experience. I doubt that I'll get into a US school, just bc of the GPA issue.

UQ changed its admissions process, it used to be that you had to apply through ACER, I knew people with 3.8 GPAs and 36 MCATs who were turned away by the some Australian medical schools. If you applied to UQ during the regular cycle, I am sure it will get far more competitive.