What about Kinesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goillini

passive observer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a freshman at the University of Illinois. I am a Kinesiology major and Chemistry minor. I don't know if my major qualifies me as nontraditional or not, but I do know that we are rare, mainly because there are not many of us to begin with and also that not many people really understand what it is. My question is, does this major hurt my chances at med school, help them, or does it even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Your major does not matter, but be sure that the intro chem, organic chem, biology and physics you take are chem and biology major courses.
I have no knowledge of what chem and biology kinesiology majors are required to take at your institution; if they are not the major's level courses, ask if you can subsitute the major's level courses. In that case you are likely to get permission because those courses will be more demanding and carry more credits.

Sorry, I missed the chem minor while I was typing. Only the biology may be at issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am majoring in something very similar at FSU. They dont call it Kinesiology here, they call it Exercise physiology. We actually have a few different track in the major that all lead in different directions career wise. Some are more demanding sience wise than other. So I am taking the one that requires the most science, and the only thing that I have to take extra is organic Lab. From what people have told me these type majors are not unuasual at med school. Seems to be a lot of nutrition, fitness, dietics type people, in med school. So I dont know if it would qualify you as a not traditional or not, but would think that it still stands out a little more than a bio or chem major.
Good luck!

You should major in what you like and in what you excel. People often think they need to be a double biochem/anatomy major to get into medical school. If anything, the opposite is true. The ADCOMS see thousands of cookie cutter applicants: Bio Major, 3.65 GPA, 3.7 in science, 30 MCAT, two years of research. (I have nothing against people like that, I'm just making a point). They probably don't see many comparative religion majors! As long as you have a good overall GPA, good MCAT and show them that you can do very well in the science classes, you will be just as attractive if not more majoring in something else.

Don't forget all that non-academic stuff can help too. It shows that you are well rounded. Unusual stuff is great. One guy in my class played professional baseball!

-Ed

goillini,

I majored in Exercise and Health science at the University of Georgia and also took some required prereqs for med school. Currently I am awaiting an acceptance to my state school MCG. I will let you know if this all works out. I felt some of the practicums and research opportunities in the "kinesiology" field are unique in that you get more contact with people. One of the opportunities at UGA allowed me to work with a cardiac rehab group, and also do student testing i.e. heart rate, BP, and allowed me to work along with other doctors. The Exercise Science advisor said more and more people from this course of study are pursuing medicine. I know of one former student who was accepted to MCG last year with a 26 MCAT. Myself and a fellow classmate are applying this year.
Good luck