What activities/volunteering do students typically do in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

examsandyams

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start medical school, and I wanted to ask what kinds of activities students are involved in to make their application more competitive? I'll focus on adjusting to the rigor of medical school first, but I just wanted to get a general idea of activities. I'm currently attending a southern medical school, and I'm hoping to match FM (as of now) in the Chicago area because of family. I don't know my school's match sites because they won't have their first graduating class until this year, so I want to learn what I can to be as competitive as other DO students from schools in the Midwest.

In general, I understand a majority of students get involved in leadership positions in their school RSOs, but what other programs are they involved in? What kind of volunteering do students do? How common are research and publications? How many hours do you typically see students spending on these activities? Any information on these questions would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Leadership (ie club leadership 9/10) and volunteering mean squat to make your app more competitive. They do make more interesting fodder for interview conversation though.

The only EC that makes you more competitive as an applicant is research. That’s it. This isn’t pre-med anymore where fluff activities are the name of the game.

Reactions: 3 users
In general, I understand a majority of students get involved in leadership positions in their school RSOs, but what other programs are they involved in?
Ambassadors is another good option. You get the opportunity to talk to interviewees, highschoolers and people interested in attending the school.

What kind of volunteering do students do? How common are research and publications?
Depends on where you are. If you are close to an MD school you can get involved in their underserved clinic. Getting published and getting research is totally different. Over half of my class got involved in research over M1/M2 summer. Only maybe 10-15% actually get published.

How many hours do you typically see students spending on these activities?
For most students, most of the work is done beginning of the term. Spend possibly 10 hours the first week of the term. Then < 1 hour per week for the rest of the term. Even the 1 hour is overaggerating. School comes first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you end up doing, don't sacrifice boards or grades for it. I saw it firsthand with multiple of my classmates... they chose leadership positions over boards and now... well all I can say is good luck to them going into interview season.

Prioritize and don't spend too much time on the things that fall under the 3rd most important thing on the priority list.

Reactions: 1 user
My school had a BBQ club. I did that, put it on my CV and it came up during interviews frequently. Made for good conversation outside of the usual interview nonsense they ask you. My advise is to do something you will enjoy, not something you think looks good.

Reactions: 1 user
If there is a specialty interest group you like (FM, IM, psych, surg, OBGYN, ortho etc.), try to serve on its leadership board. This shows early commitment to the specialty and gives you great opportunities to network, shadow, speak with attendings etc.

If you are legit interested in social justice issues and not using it to pad your resume (that crap shows through like holes in your pants on interview day) volunteer for homeless outreach or soup kitchen activities.

If you like basketball/soccer/football/underwater basket weaving, get a weekly game going every Friday or after test days. This won't benefit your resume but does lead to classmate bonding and gives you an excuse to exercise.

Whatever you do, make sure it doesn't stress you out and you don't over-commit. Grades (and eventually boards) come first.

Didn't do any myself (besides school required)

Picked up woodworking and tried to up my fitness routine. Picked up roadbiking and raced my first race. Married the girlfriend that is now the best imaginable wife I could ever wish for. Fun times!

Reactions: 4 users
There isn't any volunteering/activities that will make your application more competitive.. Only research will make you more competitive, as stated above; however, activities and hobbies WILL come up during interviews and its an easy way for them to get to know you and how your personality would fit with the program. They will like to hear more about your habits/hobbies that will help relieve stress, etc and help maintain "resident wellness".. Going to the gym 3-4x/week, ride/run 3-4x/week, artsy stuff, carpentry, family stuff, etc will go further for residency interview topics and showing you have healthy support system and habits to maintain "wellness" are more beneficial than being President (or some other leadership) of some random club in pre-clinical years.

TL/DR - Dont do any leadership if you aren't adamantly passionate about it, and don't do it only for application fluff. Find some physical activities outside of medicine you like to do and stick with it for your own sanity/benefit.

Reactions: 1 users