What am I asking my references to do for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xx6xx12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do my references only have to answer "PTCAS Questions for Evaluators"? Or am I asking the to write me a letter of recommendation as well as answer these questions. I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad.

ask them to answer PTCAS questions to evaluate you.

I thought they actually wrote a letter about you, or do they do both?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a bunch of rating questions on a 1-5 scale then a 4200 character space (less than a page) to write comments. So technically both.

I realize its electronic submission, but this sounds way different than requesting a letter of recommendation. This is just a reference survey type thing about us? that our reference fills out?

How should i explain to my references what's expected from them?

Last edited:
From what I understand, the references will out a survey and then can input a letter of recommendation.

What I am doing is asking my references to write me a letter of rec and then telling them about the PTCAS process with the survey and stuff. Once the letter is written, I send the email and have them fill out the survey. I also have then sign and seal a couple of hard copy letters for the non-PTCAS schools.

I had the same exact question when I was requesting references. PTCAS should make this more clear. I'll write them a letter. Probably won't. Peace.

To verify observation hours, do they just verify or is there a surprise survey/set of questions?