What am I doing wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant from NY, 3.7c 3.6s 36 MCAT (13-10-13). Last cycle my MCAT score wasn't in until August, so I didn't get interviews until late October. I had 2 wait lists in the end that led to rejections. This cycle I was in early on all fronts: submitted AMCAS on day 1, submitted secondaries the same day I got them. I also had a mock interview to diagnose any issues on that front. This time around I have 6 II's. I've already been to 4 of the interviews and 2 put me on the wait list. One of them was an out - of - state public school, so I get that the odds are stacked against me there, but the other was an NY state school, and I really thought that the interviewer and I had good chemistry. Any words of advice? I know it's still early on, but I feel like I blew it already.

Members don't see this ad.

Stop thinking too much about it. You didn't blow it. 6 II's at the point is really good by the way.

Be genuine and show your passion during the interviews. Be open-minded and polite.

It's not even November yet, we got a long way to go still. Best of luck to you.

How did the interviews go? How did you answer the questions? If possible you should try and answer questions with an anecdote that relates and brings up several good qualities about yourself.

Numbers aren't everything, it seems like you have decent ECs from your MDapps. You should be good this cycle just prepare for your last 2 interviews more thoroughly. Come up with at least 5-10 anecdotes that can be used to answer several common interview questions. Also try to have a brief relevant anecdote that will make them laugh. I had a good joke about my ECs that garnered a big chuckle at all my interviews and helped facilitate a more relaxed interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like you need to work on your interview techniques.

I'm a reapplicant from NY, 3.7c 3.6s 36 MCAT (13-10-13). Last cycle my MCAT score wasn't in until August, so I didn't get interviews until late October. I had 2 wait lists in the end that led to rejections. This cycle I was in early on all fronts: submitted AMCAS on day 1, submitted secondaries the same day I got them. I also had a mock interview to diagnose any issues on that front. This time around I have 6 II's. I've already been to 4 of the interviews and 2 put me on the wait list. One of them was an out - of - state public school, so I get that the odds are stacked against me there, but the other was an NY state school, and I really thought that the interviewer and I had good chemistry. Any words of advice? I know it's still early on, but I feel like I blew it already.

Reactions: 1 user

Can you share what you did for that year? I have similar stats ( 3.55 GPa 3.37 sGPA 37 mcat and complete mid August) and don't have interviews yet. If I have to, I'll apply day 1 next year.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited: