What am I doing wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I applied this cycle and have yet to receive an interview. I have a 4.0sGPA, 3.94cGPA~ and a 33MCAT (12,9,12). I have a pretty interesting story (I am a Rabbi) yet I am still young enough to be a traditional applicant (22 and 357/365 :D ), some good ECs and an awesome PS. I originally applied to MD/PhD programs but have been rejected at the majority of them so I should be in the MD piles now. I finished most secondaries by the end of August and applied to 12~ schools in total (applied to more but couldn't get myself to fill in a bunch of secondaries).
Any ideas on what to do now? Is there a problem with my app and should I start making alternate arrangements for next year?

Kinda bummed...

Members don't see this ad.

I finished most secondaries by the end of August and applied to 12~ schools in total (applied to more but couldn't get myself to fill in a bunch of secondaries).

I'm sure that didn't help you.

Never get too confident. That sounds like one of your problems, unfortunately.

Did you go to a respectable undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
-MCAT is low for MD/PhD.
-GPA is fine.

Could you elaborate on your research experience?

To what schools did you apply? I hope the majority of them weren't top tier.

Undergrad institution doesn't matter too much as long as he didn't attend some shady online college.

Maybe you have a bad recontamination letter?
Do you have substantial research experience? It helps for MD admissions but it is absolutely essential for MD/PhD programs.
Did you apply broadly and not to only top 20 programs?

If you haven't received an interview by mid December then begging to make alternate plans for next year would be a wise choice.

Undergrad institution doesn't matter too much as long as he didn't attend some shady online college.

Maybe you have a bad recontamination letter?
Do you have substantial research experience? It helps for MD admissions but it is absolutely essential for MD/PhD programs.
Did you apply broadly and not to only top 20 programs?

If you haven't received an interview by mid December then begging to make alternate plans for next year would be a wise choice.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't have a bad letter (in fact, most were pretty awesome). I have a few semesters of research, which is probably why I have been rejected from most MD/PhD programs. I am currently at CLU which is a respectable college (though not top tier). I applied to all of the schools in California and a few on the east coast. So a mix of mid to upper tier. The odd thing, is that I haven't been rejected from the schools, just haven't received an interview. Also, let me rephrase one of my statements above. I sent my primary to 20 schools but only submitted secondaries to 12 (which should be a reasonable number).

EDIT: Baron, do you climb?

I'm pretty sure that I didn't have a bad letter (in fact, most were pretty awesome). I have a few semesters of research, which is probably why I have been rejected from most MD/PhD programs. I am currently at CLU which is a respectable college (though not top tier). I applied to all of the schools in California and a few on the east coast. So a mix of mid to upper tier. The odd thing, is that I haven't been rejected from the schools, just haven't received an interview. Also, let me rephrase one of my statements above. I sent my primary to 20 schools but only submitted secondaries to 12 (which should be a reasonable number).

12 is only an average number. That's 8 missing, over 240 dollars for nothing. Your best bet would have been to apply broadly and certainly to all 20 schools.

When did you apply?

When did you apply?

Primary was sent out in June, MCAT scores were received in mid July and secondaries were complete a month and a half later. Though, I received a lot of MD/PhD rejections in September/October, so maybe the MD programs still haven't looked at my app?

12 is only an average number. That's 8 missing, over 240 dollars for nothing. Your best bet would have been to apply broadly and certainly to all 20 schools.

I didn't think I would have to apply to more than the average amount of schools. Also, that's another $800~ of secondaries and i'm taking 28 units this semester (22 chemistry/biochem, 5 bio, 1 theater arts) so there would be no extra time to fill them out.

:EDIT: Taking the units at 2 different colleges.

I didn't think I would have to apply to more than the average amount of schools. Also, that's another $800~ of secondaries and i'm taking 28 units this semester (22 chemistry/biochem, 5 bio, 1 theater arts) so there would be no extra time to fill them out.

:EDIT: Taking the units at 2 different colleges.

If it keeps you from getting in anywhere, no excuses right? I hope it all works out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it keeps you from getting in anywhere, no excuses right? I hope it all works out for you.

I guess... Thanks! Though, I think it's time to start calling schools.

I think that your biggest problem was applying to MD/PhD programs in the first place. When you have only a couple of semesters of research, as well as a below-average MCAT score (for MD/PhD programs, 35+ is closer to the norm), your chances are modest at best.

Unfortunately, not all MD/PhD programs pass you off to the MD-admissions pile, even if it seems that they are going to. Some may reject you and toss you application entirely, while others may not relegate you to the MD-only pile until much later in the season where rolling admissions will have already put you at a disadvantage. Had you applied to MD programs in the first place, I think you may be singing a very different tune right now.

I think that your biggest problem was applying to MD/PhD programs in the first place. When you have only a couple of semesters of research, as well as a below-average MCAT score (for MD/PhD programs, 35+ is closer to the norm), your chances are modest at best.

Unfortunately, not all MD/PhD programs pass you off to the MD-admissions pile, even if it seems that they are going to. Some may reject you and toss you application entirely, while others may not relegate you to the MD-only pile until much later in the season where rolling admissions will have already put you at a disadvantage. Had you applied to MD programs in the first place, I think you may be singing a very different tune right now.

I was afraid of that. I guess I just ASSumed that the programs would put me into the MD piles and I would still have a fighting chance. Is there anything I can do at this point?

I was afraid of that. I guess I just ASSumed that the programs would put me into the MD piles and I would still have a fighting chance. Is there anything I can do at this point?

It's not over! I'd hold out. Consider writing letters of intent, in advance, should you be waitlisted. It's only December.

It's not over! I'd hold out. Consider writing letters of intent, in advance, should you be waitlisted. It's only December.

What are letters of intent?

Plenty of wonderful threads about them. The search feature of these forums will help you.

The search function on this forum is actually horrible. Though ill take a look, thanks :D.

The search function on this forum is actually horrible. Though ill take a look, thanks :D.

No problem.

Type "letter+intent." You'll get all you need.

Hey everyone,

I applied this cycle and have yet to receive an interview. I have a 4.0sGPA, 3.94cGPA~ and a 33MCAT (12,9,12). I have a pretty interesting story (I am a Rabbi) yet I am still young enough to be a traditional applicant (22 and 357/365 :D ), some good ECs and an awesome PS. I originally applied to MD/PhD programs but have been rejected at the majority of them so I should be in the MD piles now. I finished most secondaries by the end of August and applied to 12~ schools in total (applied to more but couldn't get myself to fill in a bunch of secondaries).
Any ideas on what to do now? Is there a problem with my app and should I start making alternate arrangements for next year?

Kinda bummed...

How do you know?

Sounds like it's over for you. Better luck next year. Apply more broadly or maybe retake the MCAT.

Hey everyone,

Kinda bummed...

You haven't told us the whole story. What are your so called awesome ECs??

If you applied MD/PhD did you end up doing a lot of research in ugrad and get publications nd stuff? That would help greatly. Did you apply only top 20 ranked programs or broad range? Judging from the fact that you applied only 12 schools I get the feeling its not broad range applications.

You applied MD/PhD. Despite the misconceptions that it is easier to get into med school that way I don't believe that to be the case. i swa few years ago with a girl at UMDNJ that it was a lot harder for her to get in MD/PhD then just straight MD. She did eventually get in but it was not easy. same with others on here. I don't think its more easy to do this. And that in and of itself may be why you've not heard yet.

The one thing that really concerns me here is your mix of schools - 'California and a few on the east coast' sounds a lot to me like 'California and a couple dream schools on the east coast'. If so, that might be your problem - California schools are competitive and if you didn't plant a safety application somewhere you may be out of luck. What 12 schools did you apply to exactly?

Though my I may be talking out of my ass (my n=1) in my experience the majority of schools either invite or silently reject. Maybe they'll all send me a letter in April or something, but right now I just have a suspicion that my application has already been overlooked. Applying to MD/PhD with only a few semesters research was your mistake - you have to meet the requirements for BOTH programs to have even a chance at the very, very few seats on offer - and that probably means at least being published once or twice. Maybe once your application got rejected from the MD/PhD side of things and floated over to the standard admissions office it was already late - whatever the reason, December is a pretty reasonable time to get worried.

Also, yes, I do climb - if every room is a box why limit yourself only to floors, right?

I'm tempted to hijack this and turn it into a climbers' thread...

Don't do that.

JoeKinder-GoldenDirect.jpg

+1... I was extremely tempted to apply to Colorado just so I'd have RMNP and Crested Butte close for climbing...decided against it when I realized the likelihood of doing poorly in my classes would go way up if I had the option of going climbing or snowboarding at any given time :D

I figure it's ok to hijack if the OP brought it up...

I agree that your issue may be applying to MD/PhD programs. You gotta be dead serious about research to be considered and like many said, a couple semesters of research is not going to cut it. I'm assuming you didn't publish anything either. Also, California schools, especially UC's have been known to be really difficult to get into. I don't know what east coast places you've applied to but I hope it wasn't more competitive ones. It wasn't smart of you to limit your schools like that. Applying broadly is the key - if you have the money for it. Should always have a few safeties that you would want to go to as well.

Have you climbed El Capitan then? Yosemite looks awesome...definitely on my list!

I've climbed on El Cap, but I bailed off Zodiac after two days this summer. I'm headed back next summer.

Hey everyone,

Kinda bummed...

I have very similar stats: 3.95 cGPA and 33 MCAT (12,11,10). But I ultimately applied to and sent secondaries to 22 schools, the majority being top tier. I only applied to 4 MD/PhD programs however, because I know my MCAT score is less than impressive. But because I applied broadly, I've had 6 interviews so far (4 are top ten) and 2 were for MSTP. There IS hope for less than stellar MCAT applicants!

I also wanted to comment on a somewhat ironic situation with applying MSTP that you might find relevant. I don't think I would have stood out as an OOS applicant for the UCSF MD program, but because I applied MSTP and got an interview for some reason, I was given a chance to interview for the MD program as well. I suspect in the MSTP pool of applicants, my low MCAT stood out more, and perhaps made the committee look more closely at my other qualifications. I guess it depends on how much the school values scores vs. extracurricular experiences and a whole lot of luck!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but don't give up just yet - do as much as you can now to write updates/letters of intent, etc. But, if this cycle ultimately doesn't work out, bulk up your research experience or consider applying to a few MD/PhD programs and many more MD programs (so many great MD programs are extremely research-heavy, so I think you'll still find plenty of opportunities to do what you love regardless)! Good luck!

The East coast schools were mostly upper-tier. This is all kind of depressing. I'm up for a climbing hi-jack. I haven't climbed in ages, though I used to sport climb a lot. Though I do want to get back into it. Is El-Cap all trad or are there sport routes (excuse my ignorance)?

anyone who says MD/PhD is less competitive is bonkers. it does sound like a school selection problem to me. twelve schools isn't an unreasonably low number to apply to, particularly for someone with your numbers, but I do feel that you (or anyone) hurts themselves by applying only to such competitive schools - and only for MD/PhD. you sound like you might be a little light on research experience too, but i'll leave that for people better qualified to give advice.

i believe you can look through profiles on mdapplicants.com by MD/PhD app status, just to get an idea of what successful applicants are doing.

your cycle isn't over yet - i hope things turn around for you.

The East coast schools were mostly upper-tier. This is all kind of depressing. I'm up for a climbing hi-jack. I haven't climbed in ages, though I used to sport climb a lot. Though I do want to get back into it. Is El-Cap all trad or are there sport routes (excuse my ignorance)?

It's all aid, but there are some routes that have gone free as high end trad routes (5.13ish)

Wait a sec, you can climb 5.13's? Christ on crackers. Where have you been?

Wait a sec, you can climb 5.13's? Christ on crackers. Where have you been?

Haha, hell no. I climbed it as an aid route. I led 5.9 trad before starting third year. Now probably 5.8.

Since I posted this I have had one rejection (UCSD). Still need to hear from 11~ schools and it's almost February. What's going on!!!???

(just needed to vent)

Since I posted this I have had one rejection (UCSD). Still need to hear from 11~ schools and it's almost February. What's going on!!!???

(just needed to vent)

What's going on is that it is competitive, my man. You know this. Perhaps you are experiencing some "silent rejections" or silent waitlisting... Find comfort that do don't have more blatant rejections already -- this means you still have 11~ viable tickets to win the app season lotto.

If all goes down in a glob of burning flames, simply continue to improve and apply more broadly next season.

You can only INTEND to go to one school. So you may write one letter of intent and, of course, only to a school at which you have interviewed and to which you pledge to attend, if accepted.

What's going on is that it is competitive, my man. You know this. Perhaps you are experiencing some "silent rejections" or silent waitlisting... Find comfort that do don't have more blatant rejections already -- this means you still have 11~ viable tickets to win the app season lotto.

If all goes down in a glob of burning flames, simply continue to improve and apply more broadly next season.

True, and I am looking at it that way. I realize that it's competitive, but don't you think it's really odd to stay in the game this long for that many school without so much as an interview?

You can only INTEND to go to one school. So you may write one letter of intent and, of course, only to a school at which you have interviewed and to which you pledge to attend, if accepted.

I would be happy to do write a letter of intent but have yet to interview anywhere.

True, and I am looking at it that way. I realize that it's competitive, but don't you think it's really odd to stay in the game this long for that many school without so much as an interview?

I applied to 28 established MD schools. 14 in the midwest, 14 on the east coast. Of those, I got 7 midwest interview invites and only 1 east coast interview invite(in late December too). Imagine now if I had only applied to east coast schools. I would have been so psyched to receive that one interview invite. 12 schools isn't that many and it really it the luck of the draw.

Applying to Md/PhD programs also probably didn't help much as it put you at the back of the pile when looking at MD only.

Have you sent in any update letters? (haven't really read this thread)

I would be happy to do write a letter of intent but have yet to interview anywhere.

Are you the same guy that finished law school?

OP - From what I understand, the majority of MD/PhD programs don't consider you for MD if they reject you for MD/PhD, although I could be wrong. But I have a friend who had "awesome everything", 35 MCAT, but stupidly only applied to 6 MD/PhD programs, no MD. She is now reapplying, 4 years later, with a lower MCAT score (oops!). Of course, I state freely that this is n=1, but I believe that mostly, its MD/PhD or bust for most of those programs. (Echoing above posts) moral of the story, next time, def apply more broadly, and probably skip the MD/PhDs unless you have a few publications as first author.

I suspect that you have not been given very good medical school admission advice. Is CLU Cal Lutheran? Admission to medical schools in California is very competitive and how many schools you apply to and which schools you apply to depend on how competitive you are as an applicant. Your academic record is looked at in the context of your college, types of courses taken and course load, gpa, MCAT and LOR's. Medical schools also want to know that you understand what you might be getting yourself into and will not quit once admitted. Medically related EC's? Research medical schools and MSTP programs like applicants with lots of good research experience. Decent publications are a major plus.
I am guessing that the schools you have applied to see you as a average plus applicant as you have great grades from a average college and good but not great MCAT's. You would be a below average applicant for Stanford, UCSF, UCLA and UCSD. Reasonable applicant for USC, UCI and UCD. My guess is that you are probably a below average applicant to your unknown upper tier east coast medical schools. This means that you have only applied to 3 schools that you have some chance of admission and those schools have somewhere around a 5.0% acceptance rate. Someone in your position probably has a decent chance of getting into medical school if you applied to the right number of reasonable medical schools. Your college advisor should have told you this. You need to start making plans for next year.

I suspect that you have not been given very good medical school admission advice. Is CLU Cal Lutheran? Admission to medical schools in California is very competitive and how many schools you apply to and which schools you apply to depend on how competitive you are as an applicant. Your academic record is looked at in the context of your college, types of courses taken and course load, gpa, MCAT and LOR's. Medical schools also want to know that you understand what you might be getting yourself into and will not quit once admitted. Medically related EC's? Research medical schools and MSTP programs like applicants with lots of good research experience. Decent publications are a major plus.
I am guessing that the schools you have applied to see you as a average plus applicant as you have great grades from a average college and good but not great MCAT's. You would be a below average applicant for Stanford, UCSF, UCLA and UCSD. Reasonable applicant for USC, UCI and UCD. My guess is that you are probably a below average applicant to your unknown upper tier east coast medical schools. This means that you have only applied to 3 schools that you have some chance of admission and those schools have somewhere around a 5.0% acceptance rate. Someone in your position probably has a decent chance of getting into medical school if you applied to the right number of reasonable medical schools. Your college advisor should have told you this. You need to start making plans for next year.
for some reason, you sound like a robot in my head (good input btw).