What AM I looking for in a program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ygdrasil

No, there are no gigs.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to write my personal statement, and it's agony.

Our dean advised us to break it up into "past, present, and future", i.e. What in your past led you to choose the field, what kind of program are you interested in, and what you see yourself doing in ten years.

So, past and future I've got a handle on, but talking about my present goals... I want to train AP/CP, I want a fellowship, I'd like to be in the midwest or pacific northwest, I want a lot of specimen/diagnostic variety.... which seem like incredibly bland and generic desires. What else should I be thinking about for program criteria that I can talk about in a personal statement (e.g. I'd like full medical coverage, but that doesn't really seem worthy of inclusion)?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think it is important for med students (and residents) to be fully conscious of the fact that plans can change based on different circumstances - fully evidenced by the fact that many people go into med school with one plan and come out with a vastly different one (me, IM + ID or heme onc fellowship going in, pathology coming out). Many also go into residency with plans that change, although it is perhaps less likely.

I am suspicious to some extent of applicants who state convincingly that they know what they want to do with their career. In general, most people in this situation have very little pathology experience and if they do it is often in one specific area. While it is all well and good to have goals and stick with them, isn't it equally important to find out what you like and try new things, and discover new talents? Clearly, some people who have spent years getting an MD/PhD and already have a research focus in mind, residency is perhaps a secondary focus to attaining those goals, and that's fine. But the majority of residents are going to have to figure it out.

Just BECAUSE a resident sounds like they know what they are talking about (i.e. always wanted to do dermpath, etc etc) doesn't mean that they do. Being definitive early on doesn't make you a better pathologist. Unfortunately, it may help you get a better fellowship, but that's another issue.

I think your goals are solid. You know you want to be AP/CP. An important question is whether you want to be in academics or private practice - many programs will ask this, because it means you have thought about your career to some extent. Obviously you don't have to be definitive and not many people are going to hold you to whatever you say, but to put in your personal statement that your current goal is to work in private practice is fine, even if you change your mind. Your current priorities are similar to attaining these future goals - finding the best program for you and one that fits your personality, goals, and learning style. You don't have to get that specific.

Hmm.

So, yaah, you feel I needn't (or perhaps even oughtn't) be too specific about what I'm looking for in a program? That erring on the side of vagueness may protect me from the appearance of small-mindedness? Regarding your own example (IM ID -> Pathology), you certainly don't mean I should be wishy-washy about my deep and abiding interest in pathology in general, do you? I've heard over and over again that "commitment to pathology" (as though it were a religion or a spouse) is a chief criterion that applicants are evaluated for.

So, I want to train AP/CP, I'll probably aim for a fellowship of undetermined nature, and I'm undecided about private practice vs. academics. Should I leave it at that?

I didn't say be wishy washy about pathology, or be wishy washy about anything. But having a healthy sense of the fact that opinions and minds can change based on experiences you haven't had yet is realistic. I'm not talking about being vague about liking and committing to pathology itself.

If at this point you are wishy washy on pathology that is not a good thing. You definitely want to be committed to pathology, and you want to have thoughts on what you want your career to be like. It's good to have ideas on what your interests might be. You don't want to be "undecided" but you also don't want to be so sure that you close yourself off.