What am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaskItOrCasket

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know what you all think.

I am an American with parents from Egypt. Does that make me African American on my AADSAS application? My skin color is technically white. I'm just thinking I should decline to say since I personally think race is b.s. (at least from an evolutionary biologist perspective).

Also... please keep this thread mature if you choose to respond. No A-holes

Members don't see this ad.

I would just decline to answer. Typically "African-American" on an application correlates with black skin.

If you show up to your interview and you're not black, the interviews may view you as being deceptive.

Just my opinion.

jb!:)

Not necessarily. Skin color is not a guideline for your ethnicity or race. If you are from Africa and in America...you are african american.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO, race is not going to make or break your application, and I really don't think it should be considered when reviewing an applicant. There is a big difference between "under-priviledged" and "under-represented". Like someone else said, if you put "african-american", and show up to an interview, and your not apparently "black", then that might raise some questions for the interviewer, and you'll find yourself explaining a race story rather than talking about important things.....like why Dentistry?. Don't stress over it, like you said you can put "do not wish to report" if your family is a mix of different cultures.

You are not white. Egyptians have heritage from some very dark-skinned peoples so they do consider some Egyptians as African-Americans. What color is your skin? If it is white white then I don't think your the URP type.
just go sit in the sun for like 2 days ;). That was a joke.

I am with Jackbauer. Decline to answer if you are unsure.

I have a friend who is egyptian and she recieved an "african-american" scholarship for undergrad. I would put it down, it's not a lie and I think could only help your app.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a friend who is egyptian and she recieved an "african-american" scholarship for undergrad. I would put it down, it's not a lie and I think could only help your app.

Discrimination at its best

What do you consider yourself on a daily basis? If it is African American then put it on your application. If it's Middle Eastern then put that. After all Egypt is in Africa. Therefore, those who come from there to the US are technically African-Americans. Think about it. Individuals with African heritage who are natives of the Domincan Republic consider themselves Latino/Hispanic. Even the ones with very dark skin. Just don't consider youself African-American for AADSAS application reasons. That would be disgusting!

I found myself in a similar situation. Apply as an African American, it is not a lie or a deception, it is the truth. or call the dean of admissions from a school that you will not be applying to for a "nothing to lose" opinion form someone who would probably know best.

It's disgusting that it even matters, but since things are the way they are, I would claim AA if I had any excuse to.

What do you consider yourself on a daily basis? If it is African American then put it on your application. If it's Middle Eastern then put that. After all Egypt is in Africa. Therefore, those who come from there to the US are technically African-Americans. Think about it. Individuals with African heritage who are natives of the Domincan Republic consider themselves Latino/Hispanic. Even the ones with very dark skin. Just don't consider youself African-American for AADSAS application reasons. That would be disgusting!

The application said Black or African american. Black is a race simply ppl that are of african descent that are american are "AA" I am black but I am from the caribbean I could never be AA if I become american I will be caribbean american. Therefore if your race is not black and your not african american then why would you even think to check that?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's disgusting that it even matters, but since things are the way they are, I would claim AA if I had any excuse to.

It's disgusting that it matters on the AADSAS application and it is also disgisting if a person blatantly lie.

However, Panther85 wouldn't be lying. If his/her family lineage is Egyptian then they are truly of African decent. That isn't an unethical excuse.

It's disgusting that it matters on the AADSAS application and it is also disgisting if a person blatantly lie.

However, Panther85 wouldn't be lying. If his/her family lineage is Egyptian then they are truly of African decent. That isn't an unethical excuse.

Not exactly. Some Egyptians are actually from African decent. That is why AADSAS allows for Egyptians to be considered AA. But some Egyptians are from Middle-Eastern decent, which are white.

Not exactly. Some Egyptians are actually from African decent. That is why AADSAS allows for Egyptians to be considered AA. But some Egyptians are from Middle-Eastern decent, which are white.

I am not sure about this and correct me if i am wrong but i have heard that Northern part of Egypt are mostly whites but the southern part are mostly blacks.

hey panther, im in the same boat as you, egyptian. I put white down. we are classed as caucasian due to being middle eastern. Spare yourself any embaressment when you go to your interviews and they give you an odd look cuz of your skin color.

there is north africa= middle east (MENA)
sub saharan Africa= Black

i put other.

Are panther's parents Egyptian? Or are they just from Egypt? I was in the boat that my father was "from" Argentina, born and raised, but ethnically he is Chinese. So what do I put on my application? I'm more culturally Hispanic than Chinese, but by looking at me no one would consider me Latin American. I think I ended up putting, "multiracial". Or something like that. I don't remember exactly...haha

who am I ? persian from Iran.... the application doesn't have any choice for middle Eastern .. or only Asian... should I put white or other?

who am I ? persian from Iran.... the application doesn't have any choice for middle Eastern .. or only Asian... should I put white or other?

I think white. 99.99% sure.

Jeez! What a wacky thread. The identity crisis thread. :eek:

You guys are where your genes origniated from. That whole choose ethnicity ordeal is wacko, too many flaws and loopholes in that system:p.

hmmm.... my genes orginiated from simple microbial ancestors... oh and dont forget prokaryotes... cant forget those mitochondrial genes as well.

This is a sensitive issue especially for Egyptians. One of my friends here at school is Egyptian and he tells me its offensive to Egyptians if they are categorized as Africans. Even though they are located in Africa, most consider themselves as just plain Egyptians or Middle Eastern.

Race and skin color are different things. You may not be black, but you're good enough to be African-American. The 'white' boys may see you as one of them, but it's up to them to be more educated on this matter.

Put African-American on your application. But to clarify things, add a line "Being from Egyptian decent..." on your personal statement.

funny thread! but I am not offensive for that. the answer is very easy. they are asking for race not for the origin you came from. think about this senario as many of you know many people living in south Africa are white( even whitter than American lol), many of them born and rasied there. if one imigrant from there comes here and becomes US Citizen and wants to apply for Dental school. what is his/her answer for race question? African American? or White? just imagine he/she born and rasied in Africa, of course one hundered pecent sure his/her answer will be White. question is "race" not reigion. look at outside compare yourself(or your mother and Father,( we have to consider mutation probablity!)) with Afican American, if you look like them you are AA, if not, you are white. we don't have middle eastern race.

I was just looking over the U of Minn's supplemental and they provide some definitions that might help clarify the view of dental schools:

Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the original Black racial groups of Africa.

White: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

In addition to race, they also ask in a separate question whether or not you are of Latino ethnicity.

Hope this offers some clarity.

Well, technically speaking, EVERYONE in America is an African American. You just have to think back a couple hundred thousand years.

And as an aside, I have a white South African friend who won three African American scholarships coming out of high school. Wouldn't it be slightly racist to deny him of these scholarships because his skin isn't "black"? He is, after all, an American who immigrated from Africa.

bit of a thread hijack, but i'm half filipino, and half caucasian...i still havent decided what i'm going to put my response down as.

The application asks for your ethnicity not your race. There is a difference between the two, look it up. Ethnically speaking he is an African American its simple. For example I was the first generation born in the U.S. and the rest of my family is from Cuba am I supposed tot reject my ethnicity?

The application asks for your ethnicity not your race.

The definitions of ethnicity set forth by the census bureau and used in the application are pretty ridiculous. How is it possible to consider "Asian" an ethnic group, when I could rattle off about 10 distinct ethnic groups in the continent off the top of my head? How about the vast variety of people with white skin, from Persians to Albanians to Kiwis, being lumped into one ethnic group?

It's about time we dropped this vestigial box-checking bollocks and start evaluating people for who they really are.

i keep reading this thread's title and having flashbacks to the scene in Predator...

Dutch (to predator): What the hell ARE you?
Predator: ~What the hell are YOU?~

I am Pali-American, i am clearly not white, and I won't put "white" on there even if I am considered that, thus I put other and you should too