what? another one?

Started by arvee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arvee

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello my fellow pre-medies! Yes, you have read correctly, this is yet, another "what are my chances" thread.

Here are my stats!
-age: 24f
-location: Great white north aka Canada
-Undergrad degree: nursing, gpa: 3.2 =(
-Masters degree: MPH, gpa 3.9
-I completed a year of science prereqs, gpa 3.9
-MCAT: 38S
-ECs include: Heavy leadership and involvement in international non-profit (5 yrs); WHO internship; manager at a public health unit; research associate with several publications; worked as an RN during MPH and post-bacc. I run and have completed several marathons.

My downfall is my undergrad GPA, with my post-bacc it's abt a 3.6. Would I still be competitive given I'm Canadian?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback!

😎
 
i think that you have a good chance. i mean-come on for starters your MCAT IS A 38S. and besides that even though your undergrad gpa isnt good, its also not below a 3.0. and then you stepped up your game with your post-bacc. lastly, i think that your experience in the medical field and even as a nurse will work to your advantage and you will be able to show them that you have gone through alternate roads but have come back to wanting to become a physician. so i say, keep up the good work and good luck.
 
Thank you Elizabeth.

I spoke to a rep from accepted.com during one of their telethons, and she basically said that I have no chance in h***! Apparently, American schools only take the cream of the crop when it comes to International students. Nevertheless, thanks for your opinion!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there are some US MD schools that are Canadian friendly (I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, sorry). You might contact them just to get their opinion. 38S is huge and your GPA isn't dismal with the post bac added.
 
MC, I'm currently in the process of doing so, and hopefully, I will get some positive replies. Nevertheless, I will be applying for the 2010 cycle, as I have to finish some work projects before I can say sayonara.

Thank you all for your help!