Non trad student with another career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

indiecatto

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! Applied to PA school but after shadowing I think DO School would be a better fit.

I’m a non trad applicant. Had a bad science GPA. In the last year, I had a 3.97 in my last 90 credits while working full time as a medical assistant. Took the classes with labs in person at my local state school & community college and some upper level classes online at Barton CC and Portage.

Currently I have a 3.17 sGPA, 3.3 cGPA. Published a paper 10 years ago, worked in real estate for five years, have over 1500+ of hours volunteering (STD clinic, maternity center, suicide hotline), worked at a research clinic, leadership in my pre-health fraternity, and over 2500+ clinical hours working as an MA at a podiatrist, urgent care, and at a derm clinic. Also did sports in college.

Retook pretty much everything except physics 2 which I had a C in. Still need to take the MCAT.

Need advice on the following:
1. What MCAT score would I need to get into DO school?
2. Got a C in Physics 2. Never retook it.
3. My organic chem 1 and 2 are 10+ years old? Is this ok?
 
Welcome to the forums.

Just confirming: applied but not matriculated to a PA program.

Have you gone through the AACOM/AACOMAS website? I presume if you were preparing for PA applications, you have a ton of clinical experience. The question is how much clinical observation/shadowing/working with doctors (MD/DO) have you had. Breaking down your hours further is helpful. (Actually, please follow the WAMC template.) What do you know about the philosophy of osteopathic medicine/medical education?

I would want to know how much non-clinical community service you have done recently (over the last two years).

I would also visit DO schools closest to me and set up individual appointments before applying to answer the questions about your prerequisites (how old is too old). You may consider retaking it or finding a booster course/MCAT prep course for a refresher on the material.
 
Yup, I worked directly with both doctors and I work with a DO Mohs surgeon as well as a medical assistant.

MD Doctor Primary Care - MA - 1000 hours
DO Mohs Dermatological Surgeon - MA - 1000 hours
Also shadowed a urologist and pediatrician but need to get more recent shadowing hrs

Non clinical volunteering in the last 2 years - I just joined boys and girls and I also did 500 hours at suicide hotline.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your MCAT score is 500 or higher, you should receive DO schools. Include the newer schools.
Ok good to know would I be ok with a 510-515? What should I aim for?

Also do schools have a 3.2 sGPA cutoff? Should I take some more classes to boost my gpa from a 3.17 to a 3.2 sGPA? It would mean taking 10 credits. Could I do this online?
 
I have set up phone calls with a few DO programs. Is it better to do in person with them?

I also had a few general questions to ask.

1. I got an F in physics 2. Should I retake that? This is from 10 years ago.

If I retake can it be online? Applying to DO school only. Is this school dependent?

2. Do grades ever have a time limit? Some of my courses are from 10+ years ago. Any point in retaking any (they were all decent except physics 2)

3. Will it be any benefit for me to take more classes so I can increase my GPA from 3.17 to 3.2? Are there DO schools that do GPA screenings and autoscreen a 3.17?

4. Should I do more non-clinical volunteering? Or should it be clinical? I have a ton from 10+ years ago and I did do 500 hrs at a suicide hotline. was thinking about also volunteering at a women’s shelter.