What answer are they looking for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2005pharmD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On an interview, if they ask "if you caught a classmate cheating on a test, what would you do?" what would be some good and also some bad answers one could give??? What are they looking for with this sort of thing? I mean, just saying: "oh, I would absoloutely report them right away" might sound a bit cliche or even unrealistic.

Also, if a school finds out (during an interview) that you'll be getting a loan to study, will that affect their decision when it comes to selecting you or not?

thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I think the answer they are looking for is what you would do.

First, regarding loans. There are VERY FEW students who are able to afford school without loans. This is not a big deal at all.

Regarding cheating, I don't think the answer is as important as how you explain your rationale. You could argue that you wouldn't say anything because the person is only harming themself. You could be in favor of going to the professor or dean, and argue that this person is failing to uphold the ideals of a future professional. Or, you could also confront the cheater themself. It all depends on the context. Are you CERTAIN enough you saw the person cheating to risk jeopardizing their future? I don't think the answer itself is of ultimate importance...they just want to see if you can think on your feet and give a decent response.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSURxgirl said:
First, regarding loans. There are VERY FEW students who are able to afford school without loans. This is not a big deal at all.

Regarding cheating, I don't think the answer is as important as how you explain your rationale. You could argue that you wouldn't say anything because the person is only harming themself. You could be in favor of going to the professor or dean, and argue that this person is failing to uphold the ideals of a future professional. Or, you could also confront the cheater themself. It all depends on the context. Are you CERTAIN enough you saw the person cheating to risk jeopardizing their future? I don't think the answer itself is of ultimate importance...they just want to see if you can think on your feet and give a decent response.

Well, here is what I said: I'd not report him. Instead, I'd just talk to him and point out his mistake; and that he needs to study and be prepared for the exam, instead of looking for shortcuts which defeat the purpose of the test. However, if he repeats cheating on a continous basis on his/her future exams, then I would report the person to the professor.

I don't know how that sounds.

2005pharmD said:
Well, here is what I said: I'd not report him. Instead, I'd just talk to him and point out his mistake; and that he needs to study and be prepared for the exam, instead of looking for shortcuts which defeat the purpose of the test. However, if he repeats cheating on a continous basis on his/her future exams, then I would report the person to the professor.

I don't know how that sounds.
according to our assistent dean questions like this are looking at your ethics.

i think that is a pretty good answer. this shows you care about the persons well-being by not ignoring the issue but you don't drop the hammer after one mistake (albeit a big/stupid mistake). the second time though...i'd report him so fast..!

OSURxgirl said:

OSURxgirl-

WOW! Thats a tight answer. Hats off to you! Ever consider a joint PharmD/JD degree. (I'm serious, I worked for Merck, pharmaceutical litigation is the "tech stock" of the new miliienium)

Tyrol said:
OSURxgirl-

WOW! Thats a tight answer. Hats off to you! Ever consider a joint PharmD/JD degree. (I'm serious, I worked for Merck, pharmaceutical litigation is the "tech stock" of the new miliienium)

They should repo my degree for that spelling of "millenium", all apologies, too many single malts....