what are CRNAs NOT allowed to do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drseanlive

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know there has been substantial debate over CNRAs...my personal (and unexperienced) impression is that CNRAs will never impact anesthesiologists too greatly, because they aren't trained MDs with the knowledge base to be held accountable for 'disasters' in the OR. Thus, once a CNRA kills a patient that an anesthesiologist would have saved it will lead to quick readjustments.

My quesiton is, are CNRAs working in settings where anesthesiologists needed to get a fellowship in? What about pain, can they do this type of work?

Also, I'm not sure why everyone who writes on these boards is assuming salary figures are going to plummet soon b/c of CNRAs, from all statistics its on the rise.

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I've personally observed:

- there's nothing that a CRNA can't do in the OR that an anesthesiologist can't do.

- some anesthesiologists get "bailed" out by CRNA's....actually I have one right now in my group that gets "bailed" out by CRNA's.

Is this person's head chronically hung in shame?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think one person in my group has been bailed out by anyone in my 5 yrs here. Is it common for you guys?

- there's nothing that a CRNA can't do in the OR that an anesthesiologist can't do.

- some anesthesiologists get "bailed" out by CRNA's....actually I have one right now in my group that gets "bailed" out by CRNA's.

Uh oh.. sounds like someone you are probably going to be "showing the door" soon.

How does the CRNA bail out the anesthesiologist. You mean like, the MD doesn't know how to fill out the chart properly, and the CRNA does? Or are you talking failed attempts at intubations, lines, and OR emergencies?

Usually, due to training at community hosp in the bundoks, CRNA's are not very skilled at central lines, difficult airway, or blocks. MDs are usually better at these. Plus, an MD out of residency compares to a CRNA with 10 yrs of experience or more. There are some very good ones and some very bad ones. the deal is that quality assurance is hit or miss for graduating programs. Mil is right. a good CRNA can do everything an md can. However, I have noticed they are more mechanical in their thinking.

Uh oh.. sounds like someone you are probably going to be "showing the door" soon.

How does the CRNA bail out the anesthesiologist. You mean like, the MD doesn't know how to fill out the chart properly, and the CRNA does? Or are you talking failed attempts at intubations, lines, and OR emergencies?

Nope, this is a person that I won't be able to show the door because of politics......our medical staff has a large community of the same ethnic minority, and booting him/her would burn just a little too much political capital.

How does a CRNA bail a person like this out?

Simple...for example...when shi t hits the fan...like sudden severe hemorrhage....while he's running around in a circle babblying like an idiot...the CRNA would call for help and start a second IV...

another example....someone codes under sedation....and while he's bbabbling like an idiot and running around in a circle...his CRNA would be quietly intubating the patient and beginning resuscitation.

There are a lot of bad/poorly trained MD's out there who perform at a level below that of a well trained CRNA, and because of that, CRNA's will always have a leg to stand on, when it comes to poltics.

I don't think one person in my group has been bailed out by anyone in my 5 yrs here. Is it common for you guys?

not for me.......but I've been doing a lot of bailing for the folks who get shown the door...

And also, how do you definie bailing out....have you never have to someone get a procedure for you that you had difficulty with?

No one's ever help someone else with a spinal, nerve block, difficult intubation, etc.....if that's the case, then you guys are either alll EXCELLENT technicians or have issues with asking for help.

Thus, once a CNRA kills a patient that an anesthesiologist would have saved it will lead to quick readjustments.

I don't know how common this scenario actually is. Anesthesia is pretty safe the vast majority of the time.

I wonder about what the situation in Las Vegas, though, will do to the credibility of CRNA's as independent practitioners. Good judgment is something you often can't teach. People either have it, or they don't.

(P.S. I love how this "policy statement" includes -ologist's, although clearly there were none at the helm in Las Vegas and they have no business mandating or really even commenting on the practices of -ologists.)

-copro

And also, how do you definie bailing out....have you never have to someone get a procedure for you that you had difficulty with?

No one's ever help someone else with a spinal, nerve block, difficult intubation, etc.....if that's the case, then you guys are either alll EXCELLENT technicians or have issues with asking for help.

Well, when I was just out of residency I was the floater and a pt in the pacu had a resp arrest. She was in a c collar post cervical fusion. I bagged her easy and took a look and couldn't see anything. A veteran male crna took a look and got it. If this is bailing me out this is the only one I can think of.

I asked from a partner for help with a subclavian block b/c i wasn't getting it and I had another case to start. About an hour later he came in to my room and said he couldn't get it either.

In my current practice I don't recall being asked to help anyone out except for the usual getting cases started from time to time. I guess my partners are like everyone on this forum, "THE BEST". :laugh:

Thus, once a CNRA kills a patient that an anesthesiologist would have saved it will lead to quick readjustments.

My quesiton is, are CNRAs working in settings where anesthesiologists needed to get a fellowship in? What about pain, can they do this type of work?

Also, I'm not sure why everyone who writes on these boards is assuming salary figures are going to plummet soon b/c of CNRAs, from all statistics its on the rise.

To really understand your question, you have to understand a little about anesthesia staffing. Something that I am admittedly a novice at being an almost done resident, but I interviewed with many different practices so I have some idea. Maybe the more experienced attendings can chime in. There are a few given facts here.
1) Every situation is local. What is standard of anesthesia care in rural New Hampshire is different from most larger cities. The hospital and anesthesia group sets what is standard for their facility. These can change over time.

2) There simply aren't enough anesthesiologists to sit on every stool and do every anesthetic solo in our country.

3) Salary is determined by reimbursement and subsidy. This is regardless of the initials after your name. In our field they are paid the same whether a CRNA does the case solo or an MD. Many anesthesia groups are also paid by the hospital for their time spent that is not reimbursed (subsidy). This would include being on-call for OB and emergency OR cases after hours. This is also a common arrangement for other docs like some surgeons and EM where in order to retain physicians, you have to pay them. CRNA's can't say that they are 'cheaper' because they bill for less because they don't. In fact solo CRNA's can make exactly what we do. For the answer to how often does this happen, see #1. Depends on where you are at, but probably more than you'd think. In rural areas all CRNA employees are quite common and they go about their days and nights without an anesthesiologist present for miles, sometimes a whole lot of miles.

4) The fellowship thing. This is currently an issue, at least with pain, being fought at the state levels. As far as I know, Louisiana was a success in barring CRNA's from practicing pain medicine. Other states are different. Again, in New Hampshire there is an all CRNA pain group. Basically if the board of nursing says that this is OK, then it's OK until the MD groups successfully outlaw it. If you really want a fellowship that distinguishes you from a CRNA, critical care is by far the best option. Clearly medical practice, and you won't find a CRNA anywhere running an ICU.

For the rest of the fellowships, see #1. Can a CRNA do a heart solo, sure. Sick neonate, yup. Complicated OB case, yes. Again everything is local. How often is the staffing at the hospitals that do the aforementioned cases all CRNA? Not very often. Most hearts at least go to medium sized medical centers where MD's are involved in anesthesia care. NICU's and high risk OB are similar. You really feel it in an academic center where the dreaded "transfer" patient is so very common. Preterm labor, VBAC, multiple gestations, pyloric stenosis, TEF, CDH, ToF, ruptured AAA, cath lab disaster without CABG backup-they get shipped out of these small places anyways. To me. On call, where I can happily do the cases...

The legal basis of CRNA practice is the state's Nurse Practice Act. There are 50 different Acts, none exactly alike, and a CRNA's scope of practice is specifically delineated this way. Some state Acts are precisely and clearly written. Some are fuzzier with more grey and are open to interpretation. Occasionally a CRNA will pose a scope of practice question to their Board of Nursing. The Practice Committee will make a ruling. Sometimes that doesn't meet with approval by the Board of Medicine, which can cause CRNA scope of practice questions to get dumped onto the judiciary (who are usually loathe to handle medical questions because that's not their area of subject matter expertise).

The Nurse Practice Acts are a function of the state legislatures.

Having said that, and irregardless of what the Act allows, local hospital bylaws can be more restrictive. CRNA practice can also be shaped by the ability / inability to obtain specific types of coverages in their malpractice insurance (such as high-risk OB, etc.) if not provided by the employer.

No CRNA can practice outside the limits of their Act, unless they want to get discovered by the Board and face losing their license. In the states with fuzzier-written Acts, some people have the mindset that unless it's specifically prohibited in the Act then it's OK to do such-and-such.

Again a function of imprecise legislating by your elected officials.

From a financial (not legal scope of practice) perspective, some CRNA practice can also be affected by the ability to collect reimbursement. Some insurance companies will pay for CRNA performance of A-X procedures, but they won't pay for Y or Z. Medicare also has regulations on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
"when shi t hits the fan...like sudden severe hemorrhage....while he's running around in a circle babblying like an idiot...the CRNA would call for help and start a second IV..."

Too bad you can't drop him with the trash. Even the first-year residents I work with would handle themselves better than this person.

no offense meant by this...but then why have anesthesiologists? for critical care as well?

look at the european model....

Truly perioperative physicians, correct?

With all this talk (and my love for the ICU), I've all but decided to do a 1 year CCM fellowship.

If CRNA=Anesthesiologist, What do you say to someone who suggest a CRNA + 1 year of a CCM "fellowship" = CCM/Anesthesiologist?

Are CRNA's allowed to do ankle blocks? Serious question. I don't know. I had an ASA 4 guy the other day (87-year-old severe vasculopath) that I did an ankle block for a debridement of his gangrenous foot. He was hyperesthetic from the arterial damage to his peripheral nerves. Couldn't even look at the foot without him howling in pain. Even taking the dressing off to get to the block was excrutiating for him. Kept him awake the whole time. Didn't feel a damn thing after the block.

-copro

Are CRNA's allowed to do ankle blocks? Serious question. I don't know.

-copro

Depends on a particular state's Nurse Practice Act and local hospital bylaws.

I've done hundreds of ankle blocks, axillary blocks, Bier blocks, spinals, epidurals, digital blocks, femoral blocks, interscalenes, etc.

If CRNA=Anesthesiologist, What do you say to someone who suggest a CRNA + 1 year of a CCM "fellowship" = CCM/Anesthesiologist?

To do a CCM fellowship, a CRNA should obtain the education offered through medical school. I wouldn't think the CRNA curriculum would be an appropriate or acceptable pre-req for CCM training.

I would certainly feel like a fish out of water assuming perioperative responsibility for an ICU patient. It's also far out of bounds of my license.

To do a CCM fellowship, a CRNA should obtain the education offered through medical school. I wouldn't think the CRNA curriculum would be an appropriate or acceptable pre-req for CCM training.

I would certainly feel like a fish out of water assuming perioperative responsibility for an ICU patient. It's also far out of bounds of my license.

I'm just asking the theoretical, because if reimbursement for ICU goes up and OR down, don't you think some of the DNP's with CCRN's and a bit of a "fellowship" will want this job?

How about the CRNA's who argue CRNA=Anesthesiologist in the OR and Pain Suite, create 1 year CCM fellowships, and claim equivalency? After all, if doing a heart case on an ASA 4 with tons of comorbidities is a "nursing" function", why wouldn't caring for them within an ICU, weaning off gtts and so forth, be solely a medical one? The ASA 4's are often quite sicker than alot of the ICU patients we take care of.

Just some food for thought.

This thread (and most of the current threads on this forum) is downright depressing:eek:. Gee, I am so excited for the future of my field. Ugghhh....going back to my pre-intern year vacation now.

This thread (and most of the current threads on this forum) is downright depressing:eek:. Gee, I am so excited for the future of my field. Ugghhh....going back to my pre-intern year vacation now.

There are several things that need to happen before things change in anesthesiology.

1) One of those is ridding the field of the incompetent.

2) We need to avoid allowing more "lifestylers" who only want to work 7-3pm to enter the field.

3) Get rid of the greedy dudes who are willing to sell out the specialty for an extra $50-100K. The profits may look great but the damage caused is difficult to reverse.

4)Donate to the ASA and your state PAC.

5) Be politically active and contact your senators at every chance you get. Annoy them with your emails until they get the point.

Last edited:
3) Get rid of the greedy dudes who are willing to sell out the specialty for an extra $50-100K. The profits may look great but the damage caused is difficult to reverse.

Unfortunately under this category you will find 99% of the leaders in both academia and private practice.
If that sounds depressing to some of you then all I have to say is welcome to the real world.

Unfortunately under this category you will find 99% of the leaders in both academia and private practice.
If that sounds depressing to some of you then all I have to say is welcome to the real world.

It's unfortunate but is reality. I guess the only exception would be physician-only groups.

1) One of those is ridding the field of the incompetent idiots who call themselves anesthesiologists and who give the specialty a bad name.

2) We need to avoid allowing more "lifestylers" who only want to work 7-3pm to enter the field.

It's going to be a genocide :D

Simple...for example...when shi t hits the fan...like sudden severe hemorrhage....while he's running around in a circle babblying like an idiot...the CRNA would call for help and start a second IV...

another example....someone codes under sedation....and while he's bbabbling like an idiot and running around in a circle...his CRNA would be quietly intubating the patient and beginning resuscitation.

There are a lot of bad/poorly trained MD's out there who perform at a level below that of a well trained CRNA, and because of that, CRNA's will always have a leg to stand on, when it comes to poltics.

you are a real nice guy. I bet you are loved over there.

you are a real nice guy. I bet you are loved over there.

He's like that because he actually works in the real world.

If this is true, why is an anesthesiology residency 4 years?

I am offended that some say there is little difference between CRNAS and MDs. If thats the case then one of my residents must be crazy. He was a CRNA who went to medical school and is now completing his residency. He was always technically good but now he knows what he's doing,and why he's doing it. It was fun watching him evolve into an anesthesiologist. This decision cost him $100's of thousands but he is happier professionally knowing that the additional understanding he has makes him a better care giver. Yes there is a difference just ask the increasing number of CRNAs going to medical school (one of our CRNAS just announced he got into medical school and will become a student again so he can master that which he does!!!!