what are December grads doing now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bad Mojo

Cold as Ice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who graduated in December, what are you doing (work, traveling, etc) to pass the time in educational limbo? I graduated and am staying in my college town and proudly working in a gas station. Sure, its not very mentally tasking, but I get to talk to a lot of people and get free soft drinks and donuts.

Members don't see this ad.

well, i graduated in june, and have been looking for a job ever since...right now i'm just tutoring (although it's not too bad money wise....work only a couple of hours a day to get by, while i look for a more steady job)....
bush says the economy is doing well...ha! has he tried looking for a job lately????

Hey sounds cool Bad Mojo. I just graduated in Dec. too. My professor that I did research with asked me to come back and work in the lab until medical school starts, so I guess I am a pro scientist now! But sometimes I wish I was in a gas station (those free doughnuts sound tasty) - because darn it I can't stand to do research where you fail the majority of the time. At least it's good for one thing . . to remind me why I want to go to medical school! That and making money. So two things.

Good luck with the job search camstah! It is pretty tough to find a nice job especially if you are planning to go away to school soon! I am pretty lucky that this one just fell into my lap.

Sean

Members don't see this ad :)
mmmmm...donuts:D

If you're looking for something to do, take an EMT course. It's not incredibly difficult, but it will keep your mind active. Plus, I believe med students need some sort of CPR/EMS certification.

Hurry, it may soon be too late to sign up :eek:

Find a decent restaurant to work at to get some tips... I'm gonna use the money to visit Australia and Europe sometime in the summer... think of it this way, it's the only time u'll porbably ever have 9 months off straight

I graduated in December and now I am spending most of my time doing research. In addition, I have been playing tabla on the weekends and some volunteer work as well.

Hopefully with a few months of full time work, I will have enough money to hop on a plane and spend a few weeks in _____ before med school.

I graduated in May, looked for a job and found one at a summer camp for kids in maui, hawaii teaching photography. It was only for 5 weeks, when I came back I couldn't find a job where I wasn't working 14 hours a day doing drone work in a lab. I had been working as a volunteer EMT during my junior/senior years, and the volunteer squad I worked for turned into a paid squad, so I couldnt pass up the opportunity and began working as a paid EMT doing 12-24 hour shifts. It is fun, but I'm looking to use the $$ I"ve made to hit up europe and maybe New Zealand, and also to visit my friend in the dominican republic. Cant go until im done with interviews though....and I also don't have anybody to travel with so thats kind of putting a hamper on making plans and such...

I worked part time as an EMT through college, but since graduating in December I've been pulling 60+ hours a week. The great thing is that since I'll be in debt anyway the next four years, I have no problem spending the money :cool: ! And, I'm sleeping A LOT!

The professor I worked for all through undergrad offered me a job until I start med school as well. I think I am officially classified as a Senior Research Technician, whatever that is supposed to mean. All i know is it is interesting work that pays. So what if I hardly ever get any menaingful results.

Originally posted by Xega
The professor I worked for all through undergrad offered me a job until I start med school as well. I think I am officially classified as a Senior Research Technician, whatever that is supposed to mean. All i know is it is interesting work that pays. So what if I hardly ever get any menaingful results.

Haha, cool. Same as me.

SteveLight: Right on about spending the money . . I was just thinking that too!

Yay for December Graduation!

As for me, I'm leaving for Australia and New Zealand on the 31st of this month. I'll be gone for 6 weeks. When I get back, I will hopeully be working at the UCD Med Center as a post graduate researcher in pain management. Probably doing some volunteering as well. Then it's time to apply for me! Hoping I can travel once more after interviews for next season

:clap: