What should I be doing right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john7991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone, like me for example, knows the specialty they want to match into, what should they be doing right now as a premed to give them a higher chance at matching? I heard that there are people who have been preparing for the specialty they want to match into since high school and because of that I feel that I am far behind since the specialty I want to match into is one of the hardest to achieve.

Members don't see this ad.

You should focus on doing well in your classes and becoming a strong applicant for medical school first. Many students change their mind about specialities. You could shadow a physician in your desired speciality. Research resulting in a publication can help, as could doing research in the same field. People preparing since high school for a particular speciality is not the norm and would not be fruitful as it is your time in medical school that is important.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Getting into a T20 school now that step 1 is pass fail

This will require 3.9/520+ to be safe, ECs, research, and some luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Informational interviewing is a suggestion. What specialty really interests you? You won't know until you ask and shadow. Don't get your heart really set on it until you get into medical school.

It should also be said, stay out of trouble or getting close to trouble. IA's can really be disruptive.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
If someone, like me for example, knows the specialty they want to match into, what should they be doing right now as a premed to give them a higher chance at matching? I heard that there are people who have been preparing for the specialty they want to match into since high school and because of that I feel that I am far behind since the specialty I want to match into is one of the hardest to achieve.
Do well in your classes and if you haven't done so already, shadow some doctors in that specialty.

Then the wisdom to realize that mist med students change their minds about what specialty they want.

Then always have a Plan B

Reactions: 1 users
Do well in your classes and if you haven't done so already, shadow some doctors in that specialty.

Then the wisdom to realize that mist med students change their minds about what specialty they want.

Then always have a Plan B

Idk about the plan B part. I feel that there's a certain point in ug and looking at your app that you know you don't need a plan B. At some point, a plan B is just detracting from plan A.

Just eye test (or have someone that can eye test) your app somewhere in your sophomore year of ug to make sure you're tracking.

Like someone else said - the best thing to do to get a specific specialty is get into T10-20. And therefore, do whatever it takes to get into T10-20.

There is absolutely nothing you should be doing. If you don't get into medical school then there is no point focusing on what speciality you want to go into. First things first is get into a medical school. If you know what speciality you want to go into then focus on getting a high MCAT and GPA so you can go to a top school. That gives you the highest chance of getting into a competitive specialty.

Reactions: 1 users
There is absolutely nothing you should be doing. If you don't get into medical school then there is no point focusing on what speciality you want to go into. First things first is get into a medical school. If you know what speciality you want to go into then focus on getting a high MCAT and GPA so you can go to a top school. That gives you the highest chance of getting into a competitive specialty.

Yep exactly. The only thing to focus on to get a comp specialty for anyone not in or applying to med school is to get in first and shoot as high as possible.

Idk about the plan B part. I feel that there's a certain point in ug and looking at your app that you know you don't need a plan B. At some point, a plan B is just detracting from plan A.

Just eye test (or have someone that can eye test) your app somewhere in your sophomore year of ug to make sure you're tracking.

Like someone else said - the best thing to do to get a specific specialty is get into T10-20. And therefore, do whatever it takes to get into T10-20.
Every surgeon goes into the operating room with a Plan B.

And 60% of med school applicants get rejected too.