What are fellowship PDs looking for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandaNH4

Reaction score
I am an M4 trying to finalize my rank list and am 99% set on heme/onc. Looking at lists of fellows at top heme/onc programs, it feels like they are almost all coming from elite IM residencies. What other factors are important to fellowship PDs and how can you stand out as a resident at a good, but not elite IM residency? I do have significant research from med school (with publications, presentations, etc.) and am interested in an academic career.

My struggle right now is ranking programs in my preferred location that are in the top 20-25 vs. programs in a less desirable location that are top 10-15 programs and seem to have stronger fellowship match lists.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an M4 trying to finalize my rank list and am 99% set on heme/onc. Looking at lists of fellows at top heme/onc programs, it feels like they are almost all coming from elite IM residencies. What other factors are important to fellowship PDs and how can you stand out as a resident at a good, but not elite IM residency? I do have significant research from med school (with publications, presentations, etc.) and am interested in an academic career.

My struggle right now is ranking programs in my preferred location that are in the top 20-25 vs. programs in a less desirable location that are top 10-15 programs and seem to have stronger fellowship match lists.

Thanks in advance for any help.

This is as complicated question because no one thing gives you a guaranteed chance at a top hem/onc fellowship program. If there’s one thing that across the board seems to be fairly uniform it’s that if you train at an elite IM program (top 10/20) you are essentially a shoe in for a highly ranked hem/onc program so long as you have no major red flags and you show some inclination towards research.

If you are not training at an elite IM program (as was the case for me) there needs to be some other distinguishing factor. We’re you a chief resident? Do you have a PhD? Did you win some prestigious research award with funding?

Also some combination of being very productive research wise, having great letters from those well known in the field, and being a superstar trainee can probably also allow you to train at a top hem/onc program coming from a mid tier IM program depending on the competitiveness of the applicants that year,

The only caveat to the advice above is that some programs on your list are most likely upper mid tier and some are certainly top x (15-20?). Depending on which programs you have the answer to your question could be rank the programs in the more desirable location higher to absolutely rank the top programs higher. It really depends. Feel free to post the programs you’re considering in here or via PM if you want more specific help

This is as complicated question because no one thing gives you a guaranteed chance at a top hem/onc fellowship program. If there’s one thing that across the board seems to be fairly uniform it’s that if you train at an elite IM program (top 10/20) you are essentially a shoe in for a highly ranked hem/onc program so long as you have no major red flags and you show some inclination towards research.

If you are not training at an elite IM program (as was the case for me) there needs to be some other distinguishing factor. We’re you a chief resident? Do you have a PhD? Did you win some prestigious research award with funding?

Also some combination of being very productive research wise, having great letters from those well known in the field, and being a superstar trainee can probably also allow you to train at a top hem/onc program coming from a mid tier IM program depending on the competitiveness of the applicants that year,

The only caveat to the advice above is that some programs on your list are most likely upper mid tier and some are certainly top x (15-20?). Depending on which programs you have the answer to your question could be rank the programs in the more desirable location higher to absolutely rank the top programs higher. It really depends. Feel free to post the programs you’re considering in here or via PM if you want more specific help

Sure, happy to name the programs. The programs that I am struggling with most areNYU, Mt. Sinai, WashU and Vandy. I'd prefer to be in the Northeast, but feel like WashU and Vandy are viewed as the most prestigious out of this group and would probably keep the most doors open for fellowship. I do have a PhD and some pubs, but pretty bad med school grades and mediocre board scores if that helps at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, happy to name the programs. The programs that I am struggling with most areNYU, Mt. Sinai, WashU and Vandy. I'd prefer to be in the Northeast, but feel like WashU and Vandy are viewed as the most prestigious out of this group and would probably keep the most doors open for fellowship. I do have a PhD and some pubs, but pretty bad med school grades and mediocre board scores if that helps at all.

From NYU or Sinai you’d be golden. Vandy and wash u are great but not enough better than those two (in my opinion) to warrant ranking higher UNLESS you absolutely loved those programs. Otherwise the training is excellent at all 4 and no doors will be closed

Really not enough to differentiate those 4 programs to make a real change in your rank list. If geography is the deciding factor for you, go for it. None of those places will hold you back.

Agree with whoknows and gutonc. I've been on a fellowship application review committee for the last couple of years and while residency program definitely matters to an extent I don't think there is any significant difference in prestige between those four. All great places and you would do well applying from any of them.