What are "good" DAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sopink

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, I'm new to this message board, but I really wish I had found it about 4 months ago! Anyway, I've already taken the DAT and applied and all of that, but I was wondering, what are good scores? What is outstanding and what is good enough to definitely get you in? The scores I've seen posted all seem really good. I just can't really find anything saying what a good score is. Good job to everyone who posted their scores.

Members don't see this ad.

sopink said:
hi everyone, I'm new to this message board, but I really wish I had found it about 4 months ago! Anyway, I've already taken the DAT and applied and all of that, but I was wondering, what are good scores? What is outstanding and what is good enough to definitely get you in? The scores I've seen posted all seem really good. I just can't really find anything saying what a good score is. Good job to everyone who posted their scores.

I think a good score is 20 and above. 19 may also be considered a good score... it depends on the school.

look at the statistical breakdown of the incoming studnets at dental school of your interest. If you want to go to Howard then a 17 is a good DAT score, if you want to go to UOP, or UCLA, or UCSF, or Harvard then you want to be above a 20.

sopink said:

In my opinion a "good" score is somewhat subjective. I like to equate it like the following:

15AA = C
16AA = C+
17AA = B-
18AA = B
19AA = B+
20AA = A-
21AA = A
22AA = A
23AA = A

Again, this is just my opinion and this is the way I put it into perspective for myself....

Members don't see this ad :)
Generallee said:
In my opinion a "good" score is somewhat subjective. I like to equate it like the following:

15AA = C
16AA = C+
17AA = B-
18AA = B
19AA = B+
20AA = A-
21AA = A
22AA = A
23AA = A

Again, this is just my opinion and this is the way I put it into perspective for myself....

Bah, 22= A+ :p

20+ is good in everything. though i think you have more leeway with PAT. there i'd say everything 18+ is a good score. but that's just me. :rolleyes:

pmoney said:
The score that is required (it was raised recently) to get into Buffalo if you are in a 3/4 program with them is 20 AA, 20 PAT.

What's the 3/4 program? Is it the one where you get accepted in your 2nd year of undergrad and then have to meet minimum requirements to matriculate?

Audio said:
What's the 3/4 program? Is it the one where you get accepted in your 2nd year of undergrad and then have to meet minimum requirements to matriculate?

You get accepted straight out of highschool with a participating undergrad college. You spend 3 years at the undergrad school, then if you kept a certain gpa, got the aforementioned DAT scores, and completed a certain amount of shadowing hours, you are guaranteed a slot the next year at the dental school. You receive your BS diploma after first year of D school.

I think what you may be thinking of is the Early acceptance or something they call it. Basically you are guaranteed a slot after 4 years undergrad...and you don't have to take any DAT or anything. For the students in this 3/4 program that don't make it through for some reason or elect to stay an extra year, most of them go through this option.

sopink said:

All depends, we turned down several applicants with a 22 or better here at UNC last year (but we don't chase numbers). Residency can play a large role at some schools. I've seen guys (or gals) with mid to high 20's that didn't get in...after all, a DAT score isn't a reflection of your personality or ability to work with others (and that's what really matters in practice or in school).

If you have a 24 or 25, I'd conservatively say you're "safe" at most programs. Above a 20 is a good bet to get in somewhere if you apply wisely. Below 20, I would have personally retaken it to get a better score. (I made a 23AA, 26PAT four and a half years ago.)

so when school's say their accepted class average is 18-19, do they really mean that's the average? with some people doing better and some doing worse?

jpollei said:
All depends, we turned down several applicants with a 22 or better here at UNC last year (but we don't chase numbers). Residency can play a large role at some schools. I've seen guys (or gals) with mid to high 20's that didn't get in...after all, a DAT score isn't a reflection of your personality or ability to work with others (and that's what really matters in practice or in school).

If you have a 24 or 25, I'd conservatively say you're "safe" at most programs. Above a 20 is a good bet to get in somewhere if you apply wisely. Below 20, I would have personally retaken it to get a better score. (I made a 23AA, 26PAT four and a half years ago.)

Are you serious? Retake it if below a 20. I made an 18 and got into several schools. It all depends if you want to get one of those few out of state spots at particular schools, otherwise an 18 is not to bad, and I got into out of state public institutions, just not NC

DIRTIE said:
Are you serious? Retake it if below a 20. I made an 18 and got into several schools. It all depends if you want to get one of those few out of state spots at particular schools, otherwise an 18 is not to bad, and I got into out of state public institutions, just not NC

When I took the DAT, I was considering taking it again because I didn't get 20's across. I personally felt that if I didn't then I would be taking a "risk". I'd say that if you get 20 or above, then you are "safe". Anything under...unfortunately (in my books) would be taking a risk. I took that risk and only had 2 interviews so far. I applied in end of May and my apps went out in end of July. I probably should have taken the DAT again...

Generallee said:
When I took the DAT, I was considering taking it again because I didn't get 20's across. I personally felt that if I didn't then I would be taking a "risk". I'd say that if you get 20 or above, then you are "safe". Anything under...unfortunately (in my books) would be taking a risk. I took that risk and only had 2 interviews so far. I applied in end of May and my apps went out in end of July. I probably should have taken the DAT again...

You must also have a low GPA and are looking for your DAT to compensate.

Low GPA = better have a a 20+ DAT

High GPA = 18+ is good

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the 20+ scores you see floating around on the site are not from first-time test takers. The more you take the DAt the better you get at it, and dental schools know this. Ideally, you want to take the DAT one time and get the score you need. Dental schools love to see that.

Slash said:
You must also have a low GPA and are looking for your DAT to compensate.

Low GPA = better have a a 20+ DAT

High GPA = 18+ is good

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the 20+ scores you see floating around on the site are not from first-time test takers. The more you take the DAt the better you get at it, and dental schools know this. Ideally, you want to take the DAT one time and get the score you need. Dental schools love to see that.

Good point...I agree with your equations above...