What are "Humanities" Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrettKS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what exactly would be considered "Humanities" courses...

Would any / all of these fit into the criteria?

-Introduction to Visual Art
-Introduction to Music (Music History)
-English Writing / Literature courses
-General Sociology
-Fundamentals of Speech

Members don't see this ad.

those sound like humanities to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes

not speech though

I was iffy about the speech one too, but I looked up definitions of humanities and a few included communications as a humanities discipline. one could say that speech is an art, also.

All of those fit the criteria. I think the English classes might fit the English/Writing pre-req for medical school though.

An incredibly massive waste of time.:thumbdown:

English, Communications (sometimes), philosophy, visual and performing arts, Humanities (kind of like English), sometimes History also fits into this category.

Also, to the person who said they are a waste of time; have you ever heard of ethics? That might help with medicine. Better yet, medical ethics. Those are humanities. They are not a "waste" of time. Open your mind.

English, Communications (sometimes), philosophy, visual and performing arts, Humanities (kind of like English), sometimes History also fits into this category.

Also, to the person who said they are a waste of time; have you ever heard of ethics? That might help with medicine. Better yet, medical ethics. Those are humanities. They are not a "waste" of time. Open your mind.

Yes I've heard of it. I've completed all of the humanities required of me in undergrad and the only way I could label them is as a huge waste of time.

Maybe i'll like the medical ethics class in med school? I doubt it though, i'm guessing it's a class loaded with crap you already know.

Yes I've heard of it. I've completed all of the humanities required of me in undergrad and the only way I could label them is as a huge waste of time.

Maybe i'll like the medical ethics class in med school? I doubt it though, i'm guessing it's a class loaded with crap you already know.

It's not a personal shot or anything. It just is kind of a pet peev of mine when pre-meds talk about what a waste humanities are. I always say, "Do you ever read for pleasure? Do you ever watch a good movie? What about go to a museum? Because they are all humanities.

Reactions: 1 user

-General Sociology
-Fundamentals of Speech

Sociology is a social science.

It's not a personal shot or anything. It just is kind of a pet peev of mine when pre-meds talk about what a waste humanities are. I always say, "Do you ever read for pleasure? Do you ever watch a good movie? What about go to a museum? Because they are all humanities.
Med schools may care if you take humanities courses, fwiw.

-General Sociology
-Fundamentals of Speech

None of those fit into the humanities requirement of the core curriculum at my undergrad. BUt check with the medical schools individually to get the best answer.

-General Sociology
-Fundamentals of Speech

The bolded are what most would consider humanities classes; visual art may/may not be considered as such.

Your school should have a list. As this thread indicates, it may differs depending on the institution.