What are me options in terms of getting into an MD program in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOdyssey

Reaction score
I am re-posting this from another forum in hopes of getting more responses.

So this is a very specific post but any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
I am non-traditional applicant. I graduated from college as a Neurobiology major a few years ago after which I did a 2-year program called Teach For America. Through it I taught science to 7th and 8th graders and gained a lot of leadership experience. Unfortunately it was a very stressful environment to work in with limited resources and being a first year teacher I was juggling a lot of things. The state where I was teaching required us to take education classes online through another university at the same time and here is where I screwed myself over. I performed really poorly in those classes and ended up getting 2 Fs which resulted in my dismissal from the university (and the dismissal is noted on my transcript). This stint with education classes is not part of my undergraduate record ( and at first I wasn't even aware that I would have to submit the transcript from the university where I took these education classes- but that's just stupidity on my part). My undergraduate GPA isn't stellar either at 3.49 but I have solid extracurriculars and did research for 2 years through which I was published once as a first author.
My question is what is the best recourse for me in terms of getting into Medical School? That is the only thing I have ever wanted to do- to be a doctor. But it was really challenging teaching full-time in an under-resourced urban school and I chose to be a better teacher for my students than a better student myself. This is not an excuse but an explanation. However I do want to know if there is anything I can do to bounce back from this and these 2Fs.

Again I would sincerely appreciate any advice, guidance anyone here can provide. Thank you in advance.

I should mention these education classes I took were part of a Non-Degree Graduate level program.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.