What are my chances? 3.76 cgpa 3.73 sgpa 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fidgety

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After much soul searching I think I have reached a conclusion. I want to apply MD (mainly to increase my chances at specializing) so I want some advice on my MD chances.

28 MCAT (8/10/10)
3.76 cgpa 3.73 sgpa

Good ECs

Would like to know my chances, schools I should look at applying too, any other pieces of advice. I have the MSAR and have done a lot of research but I value other pre-med/medical student/physician opinion. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to Utah.
Other schools that are possible with your stats include
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Commonwealth (PA)
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Tulane
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
You are fine for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My list (Faha's list had some schools where a 28 is < 10th %ile)

Utah.
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Commonwealth (PA)
Drexel
MCW
Temple
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
St. Louis
Creighton
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
You are fine for DO schools (except AZCOM)

I need some help cutting some schools, here is my current list:

Utah
Albany
Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Quinnipiac
GW
Loma Linda
MCW
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Rush
St. Louis
Commonwealth
U of A - Phoenix and Tucson
UCLA (I know my chance is 0.000001%, but its my dream school)
U of Hawaii (I lived there for a year, as well as my wife)
VCU
Western Mich
All Texas schools (minus Baylor and UT-Southwestern)

I am a permanent resident, my wife is from California, so I plan to mention my hope of practicing there in my secondaries (thus Loma Linda). Under that explanation, would I have a shot at UCR?

Thanks for the help! I want to cut it to hopefully around 20 schools. Currently at 26.

I need some help cutting some schools, here is my current list:

Utah
Albany
Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Quinnipiac
GW
Loma Linda
MCW
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Rush
St. Louis
Commonwealth
U of A - Phoenix and Tucson
UCLA (I know my chance is 0.000001%, but its my dream school)
U of Hawaii (I lived there for a year, as well as my wife)
VCU
Western Mich
All Texas schools (minus Baylor and UT-Southwestern)

I am a permanent resident, my wife is from California, so I plan to mention my hope of practicing there in my secondaries (thus Loma Linda). Under that explanation, would I have a shot at UCR?

Thanks for the help! I want to cut it to hopefully around 20 schools. Currently at 26.
Both LL and UCR are mission-based schools. Do you fit their missions?

Both LL and UCR are mission-based schools. Do you fit their missions?
I am very religious (however not SDA) but I feel I do fit in with their mission. As for UCR, I think you're referring to the mission to serve inland southern California? If so, that is kind of my question. Although not officially a resident of California, being from Canada and my wife being from California, thats where we want to end up, is there a way to specify this in a secondary?

I am very religious (however not SDA) but I feel I do fit in with their mission. As for UCR, I think you're referring to the mission to serve inland southern California? If so, that is kind of my question. Although not officially a resident of California, being from Canada and my wife being from California, thats where we want to end up, is there a way to specify this in a secondary?
This looks like a tough sell.

I am a permanent resident, so not applying as an international student.
UCR was funded by someone who explicitly wants to admit people with a validated commitment to the IE. Is that you? There are only 25 seats for non-UCR grads...

UCR was funded by someone who explicitly wants to admit people with a validated commitment to the IE. Is that you? There are only 25 seats for non-UCR grads...
Yes I do, that is where my wifes family lives, but I do understand a) not being a resident of the state will be a problem and b) also not being a UCR grad. I do wonder if they will take the fact that I want to be a California resident into account, and not just because it would be a fun place to live but because I have legitimate ties to the area.

Yes I do, that is where my wifes family lives, but I do understand a) not being a resident of the state will be a problem and b) also not being a UCR grad. I do wonder if they will take the fact that I want to be a California resident into account, and not just because it would be a fun place to live but because I have legitimate ties to the area.
You will have to hope they notice your wife's connection to the IE.
Sadly, CA exports more medical students than any other state so we don't really have much trouble finding folks with a strong desire to stay here! We only matriculated 870 of the 5920 CA IS applicants. 1436 had to leave the state to go to medical school.

You will have to hope they notice your wife's connection to the IE.
Sadly, CA exports more medical students than any other state so we don't really have much trouble finding folks with a strong desire to stay here! We only matriculated 870 of the 5920 CA IS applicants. 1436 had to leave the state to go to medical school.
So basically, theres a very very very small chance, thanks for the help. Any other schools that you see I've listed that you think would give me an auto rejection?

Anyone else willing to help me with my list?