What are my chances: 3.79 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, 28 MCAT + ECs + MS degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvj21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Numbers are fine for low tier and new MD schools. Do NOT apply to OOS public schools though. The MCAT will hurt.

Hi SDNers,

I am new here and I would like to get some feedback on my chances of reapplying to MD schools. I am a native of California and graduated from one of the top UCs. I applied really late for the 2013-14 cycle and didn't get all my secondaries finished until November. I think that was one of my biggest mistakes (in life?). I got two IS interviews, both UCs, and haven't heard any thing from those schools. I thought it might be best to think about reapplying since the AMCAS opening date is approaching.

Here is a brief of my stat.:
- cGPA: 3.79
- sGPA: 3.75
- MCAT: 28 (10 PS, 10 BS, 8 V)
- Undergrad majors: BS in biology and BA in social science
- First-generation immigrant and college student (from an obscure Asian country) (so, I applied as URM)
- ECs: 183 hrs of ER volunteering; 1500 hrs of community services (combo of health-related and others within and outside of the U.S.); 1520 hrs of research (paid and non-paid).
- I also had part-time jobs while I was in school (typical life of a new immigrant).

Currently, I am completing my Master's degree in Europe in International Health and I will have my MS degree by the end of this August. I am also a program representative at the university.

Here is what I think I did wrong last application cycle:
- Low MCAT because I didn't have much time to prepare and could not afford the prep course.
- Late AMCAS submission because I was waiting for my MCAT score and I was not in the U.S.--I had to get all the logistics done through e-mails, snail mails, and phone calls.
- Did not apply to any DO schools.

Current plan:
- I am not thinking about retaking any MCAT because of the late timing and I am currently undertaking my Master's thesis project.
- I am not planning of applying to any DO school because it would be hard for me to convey my interest in DO without having much knowledge about the program (should I consider some of the DO programs?).
- I have nothing new to add to my last year application besides the fact that I am finishing up my MS degree.
- It would be the same LORs, activities, MCAT, and a slightly modified personal statement.

I personally believe that if I submitted my application early enough (late June or early July), I would get a better chance of getting some acceptances because I feel that some of the schools I applied to did not even consider reading my application at all since it was finished in November.

What do you think I should do to successfully reapply for the upcoming cycle? Any school list I would benefit from?

I would really appreciate any useful comments. I also hope that I will receive positive news from the schools that I have interviewed at (so that I could save a lot of money from reapplying).

Thanks,
jvalj

Numbers are fine for low tier and new MD schools. Do NOT apply to OOS public schools though. The MCAT will hurt.
Thanks. I learned the lesson applying to OOS public schools. I will include all IS schools and may be a couple of DO schools.