What are my chances? Advice please! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! :) This is my first post on SDN so I really hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I wanted some feedback/advice on my app. I just entered all of my coursework on AACOMAS and my sGPA comes out to 3.99 and cGPA comes out to an overall 4.0. I got a 25 (9v,8B,8P) on my MCAT and am retaking it Sept 4th. Now, I haven't actually started studying yet (unfortunately due to internship hours), but will start Saturday again. I know I'm short on time and that's why I wanted to know if I stand a chance this cycle. I completely understand that a 25 is actually quite low. I was VP of fellowship in a CC honor society. I am a member of the Biological honor society, have 140 hrs shadowing M.D. and D.O., a year of research (with paper submitted for publication), 500+ hrs volunteering in the ICU dept, internship in a lab this summer, 2 week volunteer workshop in a hospital in India, tutored neighbor kids in science, one of top 5 scholars in CC upon graduating, and graduated with a major in Bio and minor in Chem summa cum laude. I am non-URM. Any and all advice would be much appreciated! Also, my top D.O. school is CCOM, but I know they tend to emphasize higher MCAT scores. Anyone have any advice on what MCAT score I should be aiming for to make myself competitive this cycle, especially for CCOM? Even with just a 25, how competitive am I? Also, I have not submitted my primary on AACOMAS yet, but will have that done by this Sunday. Am I too late? I know the D.O. cycle runs longer, but still wondering. Sorry for the long post, and thanks so much for the advice guys!!! :) And good luck to everyone else applying!

Also, @Goro, I know you have no idea who I am, but advice from you would be much much appreciated!!

EDIT: I got my score back today, and I got a 26 (10V, 7PS, and 9BS). To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. Don't really know what to do at this point. My AACOMAS has already been submitted and should be processed within the week.

My school list so far is:

ACOM
LECOM
NOVA
CCOM
Marian
VCOM-Auburn
PCOM-GA
NYIT
A.T. Still
CUSOM
DMU
KCUMB

...And that's the list that I have so far. Am I too top heavy? CCOM, NYIT, and DMU are my reach schools. My dream school is CCOM but I know that's definitely going to be a long shot. WAMC? Any advice and words of wisdom would be great! I really would appreciate some feedback!! (Also for those wondering, my 26 does suck, but it was the best I could I have done while doing two jobs so while I am deeply saddened by how low it is, unfortunately it was my best shot!) I really don't want to take this again, and really hope to start school in Fall 2015, buy don't know how realistic my chances are. @Goro, @nontrad78? Would love some advice from everyone. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is crazy high enough to merit interviews despite your low MCAT, which is not actually that bad considering it's fairly balanced). Retake your MCAT, apply to schools +/- 2 of your LizzyM score - refer to the "Where Should I Apply" thread.

For CCOM, I would aim for a 27+ just to feel secure for an interview.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is crazy high enough to merit interviews despite your low MCAT, which is not actually that bad considering it's fairly balanced). Retake your MCAT, apply to schools +/- 2 of your LizzyM score - refer to the "Where Should I Apply" thread.

For CCOM, I would aim for a 27+ just to feel secure for an interview.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the reply! Okay, I'm definitely hoping for a 27+. This might be dumb, but what is a lizzyM score? Thanks for your advice!

What kind of school did you go to?

So I went to a community college for two years straight after high school due to financial reasons and then transferred to a normal 4 year college where I completed the last two years of my undergrad. I just graduated this past May with my Bachelors.

LizzyM score is your (GPA*10) + MCAT. Compare that to other schools' LizzyM scores to see where you lie (stats-wise). It's not super reliable (considering your GPA/MCAT are skewed on opposite ends of competitiveness, but it will give you some sense of your overall competitiveness.

Your 25 will get you interviews, but not at CCOM or the Touros (nor my school). You retake should be in the high 20s. Some schools average scores, so the higher, the better. Other schools take the most recent, and still others take the best composite, so I think that you'll end up with plenty of interviews.

Hello guys! :) This is my first post on SDN so I really hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I wanted some feedback/advice on my app. I just entered all of my coursework on AACOMAS and my sGPA comes out to 3.99 and cGPA comes out to an overall 4.0. I got a 25 (9v,8B,8P) on my MCAT and am retaking it Sept 4th. Now, I haven't actually started studying yet (unfortunately due to internship hours), but will start Saturday again. I know I'm short on time and that's why I wanted to know if I stand a chance this cycle. I completely understand that a 25 is actually quite low. I was VP of fellowship in a CC honor society. I am a member of the Biological honor society, have 140 hrs shadowing M.D. and D.O., a year of research (with paper submitted for publication), 500+ hrs volunteering in the ICU dept, internship in a lab this summer, 2 week volunteer workshop in a hospital in India, tutored neighbor kids in science, one of top 5 scholars in CC upon graduating, and graduated with a major in Bio and minor in Chem summa cum laude. I am non-URM. Any and all advice would be much appreciated! Also, my top D.O. school is CCOM, but I know they tend to emphasize higher MCAT scores. Anyone have any advice on what MCAT score I should be aiming for to make myself competitive this cycle, especially for CCOM? Even with just a 25, how competitive am I? Also, I have not submitted my primary on AACOMAS yet, but will have that done by this Sunday. Am I too late? I know the D.O. cycle runs longer, but still wondering. Sorry for the long post, and thanks so much for the advice guys!!! :) And good luck to everyone else applying!

Also, @Goro, I know you have no idea who I am, but advice from you would be much much appreciated!!

I have a 3.8 and a 25 and have 3 interviews this cycle already. I know you said you don't have much time to study, and that is a reason I didn't rush into a retake. I've seen a lot of people do worse when they rush into a retake. Just something to keep in mind :) good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Your 25 will get you interviews, but not at CCOM or the Touros (nor my school). You retake should be in the high 20s. Some schools average scores, so the higher, the better. Other schools take the most recent, and still others take the best composite, so I think that you'll end up with plenty of interviews.

Thank you for your reply! I will definitely be studying my tail off to get in the high 20s! Thanks!

I have a 3.8 and a 25 and have 3 interviews this cycle already. I know you said you don't have much time to study, and that is a reason I didn't rush into a retake. I've seen a lot of people do worse when they rush into a retake. Just something to keep in mind :) good luck!

That is awesome to hear! Congrats! :) Do you mind sharing what schools you applied to? I totally agree with the retake. Time seems to fly by when you're counting study days for the MCAT haha. I might postpone mine depending on where my practice scores are.

That is awesome to hear! Congrats! :) Do you mind sharing what schools you applied to? I totally agree with the retake. Time seems to fly by when you're counting study days for the MCAT haha. I might postpone mine depending on where my practice scores are.

I was really worried at first, and thus applied pretty much everywhere! I sent 24 primaries.

bump...bringing this up! Any advice is much appreciated!!

bump...bringing this up! Any advice is much appreciated!!
I was very short on time in preparing for MCAT as well, so in the months leading up when I couldn't commit much sit down passage practice, I used a question a day website. They email you a different science question each day, but what was a really big help was the archive of old questions from previous days. The site will compile your data and give you percentages on a per section (sometimes per general topic) basis. There are a few different ones, but the M Preps website is the one I found to be most helpful. I would lie in bed and do practice questions until I fell asleep, or do questions during lunch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was very short on time in preparing for MCAT as well, so in the months leading up when I couldn't commit much sit down passage practice, I used a question a day website. They email you a different science question each day, but what was a really big help was the archive of old questions from previous days. The site will compile your data and give you percentages on a per section (sometimes per general topic) basis. There are a few different ones, but the M Preps website is the one I found to be most helpful. I would lie in bed and do practice questions until I fell asleep, or do questions during lunch.

Thanks for replying! That's really helpful! I've kind of been doing the same, but not with M Preps, so I will definitely look the site up!

Thanks for replying! That's really helpful! I've kind of been doing the same, but not with M Preps, so I will definitely look the site up!
Good luck to you. I think (and it seems to be the consensus) that the VR section is the most difficult to improve on. Certainly was for me. Starting out with a 9 there gives you enormous potential if you put in serious time on the science sections.

Good luck to you. I think (and it seems to be the consensus) that the VR section is the most difficult to improve on. Certainly was for me. Starting out with a 9 there gives you enormous potential if you put in serious time on the science sections.

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Yeah, that's the only reason why I haven't rescheduled for a later date. I'm hoping thorough content review for BS and tons of practice of VR in the next 2.5 weeks will get me to a 28-29. Maybe a little too optimistic lol, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to you as well! :)

Thanks! Good luck to you too! Yeah, that's the only reason why I haven't rescheduled for a later date. I'm hoping thorough content review for BS and tons of practice of VR in the next 2.5 weeks will get me to a 28-29. Maybe a little too optimistic lol, but I'm just keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to you as well! :)
Review content for sure, but I would make sure that you learn the material in the context of MCAT type questions. Free-standing questions may even be a better practice for you, because your verbal skills are pretty good. The passages are of course important, so don't skimp on them either.

Will be interested to see how you do. All the best!

Review content for sure, but I would make sure that you learn the material in the context of MCAT type questions. Free-standing questions may even be a better practice for you, because your verbal skills are pretty good. The passages are of course important, so don't skimp on them either.

Will be interested to see how you do. All the best!

Yep, that definitely sounds like a plan. Thanks!! Hopefully I'll have good news to share once scores are out!

Bump! Advice is much appreciated! :)

Also, advice from @user3 would also be greatly appreciated! I know you always provide great feedback on school lists. Thank you so much!!

I'm not really great at critiquing school lists, but don't feel discouraged about your new score. My GPA is lower than yours (but still strong) and I scored a 27 (7 PS 10 VR 10 BS, so very very similar breakdown) and I've got acceptances :) It looks like you have well-rounded ECs and your list includes both reach schools and target schools, so I think you will be fine! I'm not sure about your chances for CCOM since they seem to like higher MCAT scores, but a 25 and 26 are in range for a lot of the schools on your list.

I'm not really great at critiquing school lists, but don't feel discouraged about your new score. My GPA is lower than yours (but still strong) and I scored a 27 (7 PS 10 VR 10 BS, so very very similar breakdown) and I've got acceptances :) It looks like you have well-rounded ECs and your list includes both reach schools and target schools, so I think you will be fine! I'm not sure about your chances for CCOM since they seem to like higher MCAT scores, but a 25 and 26 are in range for a lot of the schools on your list.

Thank you, I truly appreciate it! :) Congrats on your acceptances!

Thank you, I truly appreciate it! :) Congrats on your acceptances!

Your list is fine in my opinion. Don't beat yourself up about the retake, just focus on your apps right now. You may not get love from CCOM, but you'll get ii's from a decent number of schools on your list, and should have options by the end of the cycle.

Last edited:
Also, advice from @user3 would also be greatly appreciated! I know you always provide great feedback on school lists. Thank you so much!!
chances are outstanding. CCOM is iffy, but I would expect ii's from most of your schools.

Your list is fine in my opinion. Don't beat yourself up about the retake, just focus on your apps right now. You may not get love from CCOM, but you'll get ii's from a decent number of schools on your list, and should having options by the end of the cycle.

Thanks so much for responding! The retook kinda shook me up, but everyone's responses are reassuring! Hoping for the best at this point. Good luck to you as well if you're currently in the swing of applications!!

chances are outstanding. CCOM is iffy, but I would expect ii's from most of your schools.

Thank you so much!! I appreciate all of the responses. I feel pretty desolate about the retake, but hopefully at least one of these schools will see someone worth accepting. Two questions for you: should I add more schools or is this a decent amount? Also, will the 7 in PS for my retake be detrimental? I really appreciate the help!

Thank you so much!! I appreciate all of the responses. I feel pretty desolate about the retake, but hopefully at least one of these schools will see someone worth accepting. Two questions for you: should I add more schools or is this a decent amount? Also, will the 7 in PS for my retake be detrimental? I really appreciate the help!
chances are outstanding with current list. Do not hesitate to add any other schools you might also be interested in attending.

chances are outstanding with current list. Do not hesitate to add any other schools you might also be interested in attending.

Honestly, thank you! :)

I got a 6 in PS and have two acceptances and ten interviews. My GPAs were in the 3.6 range.

Ah, that is good to know! Thanks so much for responding. Would you mind sharing what those two schools were? I would rather add all of the schools now than end up with no acceptances haha