This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think either route you choose to go, you'll need a science-heavy post-bacc or an SMP.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think ultimately I will choose the pharmacy or dentistry route

Members don't see this ad.

NSU's SMP might be a bit out of reach. They are mainly looking at higher GPA and lower MCAT students. I think their GPA average was a 3.45 last cycle. Also, almost everyone gets into NSUCOM provided they pass all the classes adequately.
Will NSU SMP accept a student with a 2.6 ish gpa 3.4 science, African American male with a DAT of 19? Idk any extra curriculars I could do

Dentistry is going to be really hard with less than a 3.0. Howard university might take a chance on you, it's a historically black college. I would give them a call and explain your situation.

DAT wise, you could prolly slide in with a 16 as a Black male. Dental schools really like black students (not a ton of black dentists out there).

Will NSU SMP accept a student with a 2.6 ish gpa 3.4 science, African American male with a DAT of 19? Idk any extra curriculars I could do

Members don't see this ad :)
Prob not, NSU's SMP really likes higher GPA applicants and their dental school has some higher standards as well.

Dentistry is going to be really hard with less than a 3.0. Howard university might take a chance on you, it's a historically black college. I would give them a call and explain your situation.

DAT wise, you could prolly slide in with a 16 as a Black male. Dental schools really like black students (not a ton of black dentists out there).

Last edited:
Ok guys so I'm either going to get laughed at or bashed because I graduated recently with a 2.47 gpa as a health science major. I have not taken organic chem 1 or 2, gen bio2 or biochem, yet. Got a D in biology 1 and got an F in the lab. I say this because I want to be a doctor badly. Used all my grade forgivenesses. I have always considered either pharmacy or medical school but didn't realize my gpa was to low until it was too late. The majority of schools don't accept anything less than a 2.5 if you're lucky. I want to stay in Florida and would do anything to achieve my goal of becoming a doctor. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please

I have always considered either pharmacy or medical school != I have not taken organic chem 1 or 2, gen bio2 or biochem, yet. Got a D in biology 1 and got an F in the lab

I want to be a doctor badly != didn't realize my gpa was to low until it was too late

Reactions: 1 user
I have always considered either pharmacy or medical school != I have not taken organic chem 1 or 2, gen bio2 or biochem, yet. Got a D in biology 1 and got an F in the lab

I want to be a doctor badly != didn't realize my gpa was to low until it was too late

How about in the same sentence " I want to stay in Florida" "I would do anything to become a doctor." Yikes
Start by taking some prereqs and getting As.

Being black isn't going to save you from a 2.47 GPA. Sorry to be harsh but your GPA is pathetic. I could score a 2.47 by just showing up on test days without attending class or doing any studying at all. Unless you bust your ass in the hard sciences (physics and Ochem have washed out many hardworking students with higher GPAs than you) and make straight A's from now on, you're not going to be allowed to touch patients in pretty much any field. Physicians, PAs, Nurses, all of the tech programs I'm aware of are all SUPER competitive and require a minimum of a 3.0.

Graduate college and go into business administration. Macy's has a 6 month management training program you can look into for a start.

Edit: You don't really want to be a doctor. If you really wanted to be a doctor, you would have exercised maturity and not have dicked around so much.