Advice please !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saladss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating with my bachelors in biology this semester and I need some advice on which direction to go next. I want to apply to DO schools but I am afraid I am not a strong enough candidate yet.

My science GPA is 2.8 my overall is 2.98 (hopefully can pull this up to 3.0 by the end of this semester) and my major GPA is 3.08. I have yet to take the MCAT.

After graduation should I retake some prereqs, do a post bacc program, or go into some med tech profession like EMT, earn some hours, and then apply to DO schools?

I don't know what to do. I started off my undergrad years pretty rough, but by the latter half I started making much better grades. I am confident now that I can go to professional school and be successful but in order to get there I know I need to strengthen my application by one of the previously mentioned routes.

Please help, any advice will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the courses you did poorly in. I'm sure you can manage to get much better grades the second time around.

Once you get your GPA around 3.4, paired with a good MCAT score, you'll get into DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @mathnerd88 - You need to take a year or at least a semester and get that sGPA above 3.0 and cGPA above a 3.2 at the very min. But as @mathernerd88 said, if you raise to a 3.4 with a solid MCAT + good EC's + DO LoR, you will have a decent shot with a early/broad app.

Another option is a post-bacc linkage program which would feed you into a DO school such as LECOM's

Members don't see this ad :)
Research a proper study routine and the proper study materials in order to well on the new version MCAT. Retake your core science and get As in them (or almost all of them, nothing lower than B+). You can retake classes independently without enrolling in an official post bacc, which will save you $. Official post baccs feeding into a program are a also good option.

Research a proper study routine and the proper study materials in order to well on the new version MCAT. Retake your core science and get As in them (or almost all of them, nothing lower than B+). You can retake classes independently without enrolling in an official post bacc, which will save you $. Official post baccs feeding into a program are a also good option.
Disagree - Retake C's maybe C+'s and below. Otherwise spend time crushing MCAT.

Disagree - Retake C's maybe C+'s and below. Otherwise spend time crushing MCAT.
Sorry, I should have clarified. On your retakes, you need to get at least a B+. You don't need to retake a B+. I would, however, advise retaking B- or below and even consider retaking a B.

Sorry, I should have clarified. On your retakes, you need to get at least a B+. You don't need to retake a B+. I would, however, advise retaking B- or below and even consider retaking a B.
Maybe, maybe OP should retake B- since it is below 3.0 and is only dragging them below that standard. I would def not retake classes you got a B/3.0 in. Cheers.

OP, once you do this, you will be a strong candidate. As of right now, you're not.

Retake the courses you did poorly in. I'm sure you can manage to get much better grades the second time around.

Once you get your GPA around 3.4, paired with a good MCAT score, you'll get into DO school.

Don't waste time retaking B's.
c+ and below.

Reactions: 1 user
I am graduating with my bachelors in biology this semester and I need some advice on which direction to go next. I want to apply to DO schools but I am afraid I am not a strong enough candidate yet.

My science GPA is 2.8 my overall is 2.98 (hopefully can pull this up to 3.0 by the end of this semester) and my major GPA is 3.08. I have yet to take the MCAT.

After graduation should I retake some prereqs, do a post bacc program, or go into some med tech profession like EMT, earn some hours, and then apply to DO schools?

I don't know what to do. I started off my undergrad years pretty rough, but by the latter half I started making much better grades. I am confident now that I can go to professional school and be successful but in order to get there I know I need to strengthen my application by one of the previously mentioned routes.

Please help, any advice will be appreciated.

Don't retake classes. Take time off and do something else with your life (for 1-3 years). Figure out why you didn't do well. Next take the MCAT and do very well. Then do an SMP. Get into to medical school.