What Are My Chances and Other General Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll give this a shot before applications open:

30P (10, 10, 10)
sgpa: 3.5
ogpa: 3.5
I received a D in a non science class which I repeated and received an A. I also received a C in orgo 1, repeated and got a B. I have a few drops, I dropped orgo 2 twice, but when I finally went through it I got an A.

My extracurriculars include all the usual stuff: volunteering, research, clubs, etc. Solid but not spectacular.
My LORS and PS are the same: solid but not spectacular.
I am an Illinois resident. My hope is to get into Rush BUT I will be applying to about 25 schools that are lower tier, and a few mid-tier schools. Do I have a solid shot? Or should I not get my hopes up? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

MCATs allows for a frame of reference for evaluating your chances but since you don't have that we can't help you. In addition, the fact you do not have any volunteer or shadowing experience is a big hole in your application. What year of college are you in? If you are an underclassmen, you should be able to make up lost ground for your volunteer and medical ECs. However, if you are a junior, I would get on the phone now and start looking for physicians who will allow you to work for them free of charge. If you have known all along that you want to get into medicine and have no idea what doctors do in an everyday setting, it won't help you get past the initial screening of your application.

So here is what I would do:
1. Study my a$$ off for the MCAT and get over a 30.
2. Make sure I have a clinical experience that I can write and talk about to the med schools when it comes time for application.

Got it? Good luck!

So how does it look if you go through the first three years making good grades 3.8+ nearly every semester, but then the final semester before youapply..your GPA slips a little bit. Say you make a 3.5 for this one final semester. Your GPA is still fairly high 3.8, but there is that one semester that took a noticeable hit. Something to worry about? Not?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCATs allows for a frame of reference for evaluating your chances but since you don't have that we can't help you. In addition, the fact you do not have any volunteer or shadowing experience is a big hole in your application. What year of college are you in? If you are an underclassmen, you should be able to make up lost ground for your volunteer and medical ECs. However, if you are a junior, I would get on the phone now and start looking for physicians who will allow you to work for them free of charge. If you have known all along that you want to get into medicine and have no idea what doctors do in an everyday setting, it won't help you get past the initial screening of your application.

So here is what I would do:
1. Study my a$$ off for the MCAT and get over a 30.
2. Make sure I have a clinical experience that I can write and talk about to the med schools when it comes time for application.

Got it? Good luck!

Pride was this directed at me? I thought I had posted my MCAT scores and shadowing, volunteering, etc. in the post above yours?

got your attention:laugh:... anyway
Im gonna get to the point and not waste time (Ive read many posts before my first thread and it was quite amusing). Here are my undergrad stats:
OA gpa = 3.09 BCMP = 2.8
9 C’s during the undergrad career that lead to low gpa
C’s (all lecture not lab grades *like that makes it better!)
-biochem
-gen chem. 1 and 2 (actually got a D in gen chem. 1 and retook and got a C horrible I know)
-organic chem. 1 and 2
-Physics 1 and 2
-ART! (never spent a day in class and took 1 final and passed…)
-ecology (90% of us got C’s hilariousJ)

I haven’t yet taken the MCAT (planning on taking it in aug. of this yr.)

LOR’s
-pretty decent

EC’s
lots of research… anticancer research, helping graduate students and post-docs. with their work, medical school summer internship, tissue culture, work in local herbarium, tutoring fellow classmates (4+ years even after graduation!), owner of small business (hand crafted projects), TA for 2 courses in 1 semester, receptionist at cancer center… the list goes on for a little bit.
Soon I will be trained as a nursing assistant and phlebotomy tech. to be able to get more patient contact/interaction.
*everything I did above was not intended to make a more “attractive applicant” I simply let one interest lead to the next and ended up with a long list of things

*on top of the above I worked throughout my undergrad degree as a single parent working upto 2 part time jobs during the sem. to make ends meet and had to meet the full time student status hours.

OKAY the Questions…
  • Judging by the low GPA’s what MCAT score would soften that blow? (I know there are no magic numbers and that 35 is the new 30 but Im just curious as to what people were thinking?)
  • Do you see any post-bacc. work needed thus far?
(No there are no SMP’s or anything of that sort from where I am from … there is 1 college where I am at and no other for 1,000’s of miles away… not being sarcastic it is true)
I know this is gonna open up a can of worms but here goes…. I am as well a URM and come from what is considered a “disadvantaged” background. I know that many posts after this will follow the tone of “Are you a URM” or something like that. I just wanted to get it out of the way so it doesn’t lead into one of those posts. I spent 15mins reading one of those and found it hilarious the whole time! I am not easily offended but I would like to keep this thread on track… thanks and happy posting!

So I am writing this post in hopes that maybe someone can offer an opinion based on experience...

I will be applying this round to MD programs for the fall or 2009, my basic stats are as follows:
GPA undergrad: 3.0 science was also 3.0 (Harvard)
MCAT:38R
post bach GPA:3.82 (Penn)

I know these are some basic stats, but i also have worked in patient care and research for almost 3 years since my gradution from undergrad. I was a varsity athlete who was nationally ranked all through college as well, which may account for my lower GPA in undergrad. I was just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation, and how it played out, or if anyone may have ANY insight into what I should look to do in the coming application process.

since you show a really nice upward trend and have a wonderful MCAT score..i would definitely apply broadly...throw in some top schools...stick around middle tier schools and state schools....but i think you have nothing to worry about...jus work on those LOR's, personal statements, and interview skills....cause those can be some real deal breakers...

your school did not have any linkage programs...???

well i just read it again and see that you went to Penn...they should definitely have some linkage programs..i say apply to the schools on that list and start speaking to some admission representatives...get your name out there...lol

got your attention:laugh:... anyway
Im gonna get to the point and not waste time (Ive read many posts before my first thread and it was quite amusing). Here are my undergrad stats:
OA gpa = 3.09 BCMP = 2.8
9 C’s during the undergrad career that lead to low gpa
C’s (all lecture not lab grades *like that makes it better!)
-biochem
-gen chem. 1 and 2 (actually got a D in gen chem. 1 and retook and got a C horrible I know)
-organic chem. 1 and 2
-Physics 1 and 2
-ART! (never spent a day in class and took 1 final and passed…)
-ecology (90% of us got C’s hilariousJ)

I haven’t yet taken the MCAT (planning on taking it in aug. of this yr.)

LOR’s
-pretty decent

EC’s
lots of research… anticancer research, helping graduate students and post-docs. with their work, medical school summer internship, tissue culture, work in local herbarium, tutoring fellow classmates (4+ years even after graduation!), owner of small business (hand crafted projects), TA for 2 courses in 1 semester, receptionist at cancer center… the list goes on for a little bit.
Soon I will be trained as a nursing assistant and phlebotomy tech. to be able to get more patient contact/interaction.
*everything I did above was not intended to make a more “attractive applicant” I simply let one interest lead to the next and ended up with a long list of things

*on top of the above I worked throughout my undergrad degree as a single parent working upto 2 part time jobs during the sem. to make ends meet and had to meet the full time student status hours.

OKAY the Questions…
  • Judging by the low GPA’s what MCAT score would soften that blow? (I know there are no magic numbers and that 35 is the new 30 but Im just curious as to what people were thinking?)
  • Do you see any post-bacc. work needed thus far?
(No there are no SMP’s or anything of that sort from where I am from … there is 1 college where I am at and no other for 1,000’s of miles away… not being sarcastic it is true)
I know this is gonna open up a can of worms but here goes…. I am as well a URM and come from what is considered a “disadvantaged” background. I know that many posts after this will follow the tone of “Are you a URM” or something like that. I just wanted to get it out of the way so it doesn’t lead into one of those posts. I spent 15mins reading one of those and found it hilarious the whole time! I am not easily offended but I would like to keep this thread on track… thanks and happy posting!

Here is a realist response. Your cGPA is too low. Your science GPA is too low. You will need to do an SMP. If you want to be a doctor, then face the fact that you need to move and do an SMP. Apply to DO schools as well. With not having an MCAT score to work with, there isn't much else that can be said besides applying to basically every lower end medical school there is (the carib is nice during the cold winter months) in the country.

I'm not sure there is an MCAT that would soften the blow, given that you have SO many poor grades in pre-reqs. I'm not one that would say that you need to have a 4.0 (I certainly didn't) but this transcript is poor enough that will require an SMP or a regular master's degree. The fact that there are none around you now is a non-issue. You should strongly strongly consider a master's program or an SMP even if that requires moving somewhere else (you wouldn't be the first to do this).

I forgot to add... please suggest any schools in mind for my stats...
(I bet this is the part where people start leaving mean, nasty, sarcastic comments irrelevant or relevant to the post. Please show some form of self control and dicipline...if you lack that then feel free to put your mean, nasty, sarcastic posts, get it out of your system, laugh by yourself, and get back to the subject at hand). Forgive my shrewdness but after reading many posts I am a tad on the deffensive stance... :oops:

Seems like your on the right track as far as ECs go. The GPA is very low, but I don't think it will kill you with a 35+ MCAT, but I wouldn't go any lower than that. It would be a good idea to take some graduate courses to raise your GPA (even if its at a school 1000 miles away). You URM status will also help you out, but I still think you need to pursue these goals.

well i was actually in penns special science program, and through that there is only one linkage with UMDNJ, and that does not really interest me. I have applied to med school before when i kinda took the MCAT on a whim after graduating from harvard in 2005 and really didnt have any work experience oe very good letters. So this time around 2 years later i have much better and recent LOR and Penn to help me organize everything for the process, I am just trying to feel out whether i should try and apply early at Jefferson or do i have the stats and resume to apply to a broader range, and as i am sure we have all learned there are really no guarantees anyway...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
i most definitely agree..i think you should apply to some post-bac programs that are for med school application enhancers...check out http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
click search and begin the process...i think you have still a good shot...i would suggest you start meeting with some admission officers, have them give you advice on what program you should do...but that list on AAMC gives you a slew of options...and after one year...you can matriculate into medical school...(thats with a good number of programs)

in terms of your MCAT...study study study study...PLEASE study..i too have a low GPA and will be taking the MCAT in August..i want to break over a 35...now this is my opinion, please no attackers, but i think for them to even look at my application that is what I have to do...it will not balance it out..but still...I am applying to SMP/post-bacs as well...the ECs look great, hope you have some AMAZING LORs...do your research, start talking to people and you have a shot...considering you are a URM that does help...

and also if DO is an interest...check into that...GOOD LUCK!!!:D

I'm not sure there is an MCAT that would soften the blow, given that you have SO many poor grades in pre-reqs. I'm not one that would say that you need to have a 4.0 (I certainly didn't) but this transcript is poor enough that will require an SMP or a regular master's degree. The fact that there are none around you now is a non-issue. You should strongly strongly consider a master's program or an SMP even if that requires moving somewhere else (you wouldn't be the first to do this).
Would doing an informal post-bacc work out for me? I intended to do so taking other upperdivision BCMP courses or do you suggest I retake some of the prereqs. that I did poorly on? I know I will get A's if I did take them again? what do you suggest?

So I am writing this post in hopes that maybe someone can offer an opinion based on experience...

I will be applying this round to MD programs for the fall or 2009, my basic stats are as follows:
GPA undergrad: 3.0 science was also 3.0 (Harvard)
MCAT:38R
post bach GPA:3.82 (Penn)

I know these are some basic stats, but i also have worked in patient care and research for almost 3 years since my gradution from undergrad. I was a varsity athlete who was nationally ranked all through college as well, which may account for my lower GPA in undergrad. I was just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation, and how it played out, or if anyone may have ANY insight into what I should look to do in the coming application process.

What does your overall and BCPM gpa come out to be when you combine the undergrad and postbacc GPAs?

I forgot to add... please suggest any schools in mind for my stats...
(I bet this is the part where people start leaving mean, nasty, sarcastic comments irrelevant or relevant to the post. Please show some form of self control and dicipline...if you lack that then feel free to put your mean, nasty, sarcastic posts, get it out of your system, laugh by yourself, and get back to the subject at hand). Forgive my shrewdness but after reading many posts I am a tad on the deffensive stance... :oops:

Do a search for the LizzyM score and get yourself a copy of the MSAR. Do the calculations with a range of MCAT scores you think are possible for you. This should give you a decent idea of schools, though I think the number will be low enough to make an SMP/regular master's your best plan. With a sub 3.0 BCPM, the deck is stacked enough against you that it will probably save you money to do the masters and then apply (rather than apply, get rejected, do master's, reapply).

Would doing an informal post-bacc work out for me? I intended to do so taking other upperdivision BCMP courses or do you suggest I retake some of the prereqs. that I did poorly on? I know I will get A's if I did take them again? what do you suggest?

My personal opinion is that, in your particular position, an informal post-bacc wouldn't work and neither would retaking all those pre-reqs. I think you need something formal and structured to really prove to the admissions committees that you can handle the work. I'm not coming down on you, you don't have to prove anything to anyone here. I am talking purely about the perception of the committees. It isn't like you got low grades in ancillary courses - these are the pre-reqs and will be heavily scrutinized. However, others may disagree. Hopefully some adcom members will weigh in.

you guys don't know a troll post when you see one...seriously.

i most definitely agree..i think you should apply to some post-bac programs that are for med school application enhancers...check out http://services.aamc.org/postbac/
click search and begin the process...i think you have still a good shot...i would suggest you start meeting with some admission officers, have them give you advice on what program you should do...but that list on AAMC gives you a slew of options...and after one year...you can matriculate into medical school...(thats with a good number of programs)

in terms of your MCAT...study study study study...PLEASE study..i too have a low GPA and will be taking the MCAT in August..i want to break over a 35...now this is my opinion, please no attackers, but i think for them to even look at my application that is what I have to do...it will not balance it out..but still...I am applying to SMP/post-bacs as well...the ECs look great, hope you have some AMAZING LORs...do your research, start talking to people and you have a shot...considering you are a URM that does help...

and also if DO is an interest...check into that...GOOD LUCK!!!:D[/quote]
Actually DO schools are looking pretty attractive to me. I really dont care about the title attached to the end of my name so long as I get to do what Ive always wanted to be doing. Good luck on your MCAT I have been studying for a few weeks now on and off. I just graduated in Dec. so I planned to take a few years off to do what it takes to get into a good school.:)

What state do you live in? Talk to someone in admissions at a state medical school for advice. Make sure they are fully aware of your URM status, because that can only help you in this process.

Also, investigate DO schools.

Finally, your situation is tailor made for an SMP.

From what I heard...doing an informal post-bac is not going to raise your GPA quickly enough..this is why I have chosen to not do so (and back me up folks if you agree/disagree)I understand money is an issue...but this is an investment for medical school..there are loans and financial aid out there to help pay for these programs...do your research into the post-bac/SMPs i think one or two are tuition free and you just have to worry about living expenses...I would apply broadly..and be prepared to move...cause if this is your passion and this is what you want...be prepared to make these sacrifices...also at the recent SNMA conference, a few of the med. students told me to apply to some grass/wheat/corn states..that they are giving money to URMs to apply to the MidWest...keep that in mind...

I believe it would work out to be around 3.28, but depends on how they classes are weighed by AMCAS.

The post bach that I am finishing up is more a statement that I can do this classes, I was adivised that my MCAT and GPA did not match up, and showing schools that i can handle the coursework would be the more important aspect then just the pure numbers game involved with doing a postbach to raise your GPA. I needed to show them that now that I am not competeing anymore I have the capability to commit myself to this rigorous process (jeez i sound like a personal statement, haha)

Like I said... there is always one of those you know... just when you thought the thread would go smoothly... it was about time one of you chimed in. Glad we got that out of the way.

If you retake the courses you did poorly on and get As, AACOMAS (the osteopathic med school application service) will actually replace the old grade with the new one, thereby repairing your GPA even faster than through AMCAS (for allopathic med schools).

A more important question is - do you know why you got Cs to begin with in the vast majority of your prereqs? Are you truly confident that you can now get As if you were to try again?

Informal or formal postbacc program is what you need to do to raise that GPA.

whats a troll post....lol...

but anyhoo...yeah thats another good point...about taking the classes over...get As and apply to DO schools....

From what I heard...doing an informal post-bac is not going to raise your GPA quickly enough..this is why I have chosen to not do so (and back me up folks if you agree/disagree)I understand money is an issue...but this is an investment for medical school..there are loans and financial aid out there to help pay for these programs...do your research into the post-bac/SMPs i think one or two are tuition free and you just have to worry about living expenses...I would apply broadly..and be prepared to move...cause if this is your passion and this is what you want...be prepared to make these sacrifices...also at the recent SNMA conference, a few of the med. students told me to apply to some grass/wheat/corn states..that they are giving money to URMs to apply to the MidWest...keep that in mind...
Yah... I was hoping that a formal SMP would be my last option but it seems like the majority ruled! What do you suggest about simply getting my masters degree in biology from my undergrad instituion? Okay the only reason I say this is because Im sure it is costly for many people to do SMP's else where but it is approx. $2000 for a trip to anywhere in the mainland US for me. I have no ties to any state (obviously not a resident), I am a US citizen and where Im from is US soil so that isnt an issue. Simply I would like to do my master's program at my undergrad institution.

If you retake the courses you did poorly on and get As, AACOMAS (the osteopathic med school application service) will actually replace the old grade with the new one, thereby repairing your GPA even faster than through AMCAS (for allopathic med schools).

A more important question is - do you know why you got Cs to begin with in the vast majority of your prereqs? Are you truly confident that you can now get As if you were to try again?

Informal or formal postbacc program is what you need to do to raise that GPA.
this is good to know and makes DO schools more attractive. Im not making excuses for the bad grades I simply chose to work, support, and raise my kid at the expense of A's. I dont regret that but it is killing my now!

its funny...when i spoke to some admissions people at my state school..they HATE masters program..they say its a waste of time..if i want to improve my grades do the post-bac..they were saying whats the point of second degree if you are not going to use it as an MD....

so its seems that you are pretty far..i would suggest that you do try to do a masters, however be weary of that. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong, but dont they look at graduate courses differently than they do of courses at a post-bac program...

I realized dcohen that this is my first post and hence the label as a "troll" but I did my research on this forum prior to posting. It wasnt a premature post it was thoughtout unlike yours. Forgive the lack of 400+ posts to validate my comments! Have a nice day:D

If it is a troll post then it is a bad one. The OP isn't asking chances at Harvard or trying to start a flamewar. Just asking for an opinion.

I think a SMP is in your future. Might need to retake a few of those courses, which would help you with osteopathic schools, since they do grade replacement. Keep in mind that many osteopathic schools still have a science gpa cut off of 3.0 as well (I think). The URM will probably help, but I am kind of ignoring that because it may open up a whole new can. You really need to show that you can get some As. While 90% of your ecology class might have gotten Cs, that isn't going to show on your transcript. You can find plenty of inspiration stories and you certainly aren't doomed, but you will need to dedicate some time barring a massive mcat score. Just looking at grade trends I wouldn't put that in the probable category. Not being mean...just trying to be honest. You'll have to learn and relearn a lot of stuff for a large span of classes. Come back when you have an mcat score and we can help you with school choices a little better.

OP, you have a slim shot, mostly at DO schools, if you got a truely stellar MCAT. You have a decent schot, again only at DO schools, if you retook the classes where you got Cs and got all As (and again, good MCAT). So you know, to get in to a DO school, you generally should shadow, and get a letter of Rec from a DO.

Your other option is an SMP, which you seem to have heard of.

No there are no SMP's or anything of that sort from where I am from

SMPs are very expensive one year programs, and if you did one you would need to move. You could get in if you got a good MCAT (how good depends on what success rate you want from your SMP). If you got in and did well, you could use your perfomance in that program to get into medical school.

Finally you could just retake/take new classes to get to about a 3.4 (averaging all grades), get a very good MCAT, and go to a US allopathic school.

As for what MCAT you need, that depends on what you want to do. If you want to get in next year to DO without improving your grades or doing an SMP, I´d say over a 35 and you´d still be a long shot. Getting in next year to Allo without improving your grades or doing an SMP: I´d say this is borderline impossible. Don´t spend your money applying unless you really wouldn´t feel the expense (and if you don´t think the secondary apps will eat up too much of your time).

ADVICE: Right now, focus on the MCAT. All you can do is the best you can do. Choose a review course (TPR, Kaplan, TBR, or EK) and get to work.

its funny...when i spoke to some admissions people at my state school..they HATE masters program..they say its a waste of time..if i want to improve my grades do the post-bac..they were saying whats the point of second degree if you are not going to use it as an MD....

so its seems that you are pretty far..i would suggest that you do try to do a masters, however be weary of that. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong, but dont they look at graduate courses differently than they do of courses at a post-bac program...
I dont understand... in reference to my gpa being pretty low for a postbacc and you suggest a masters? Yah Ive read a bunch of posts and many people suggest and often opt. to do the post bacc (formal or informal). I would prefer the informal post bacc so I can chose exactly which courses I will take (of course they will be in the realm of the BCMP's) and as well I would like to take courses that I didnt have the chance to take as an undergrad.

If i were you, i would retake those pre-reqs you did poorly in and GET As. Do a post-bacc, informal are usually cheaper, and retake chem, physics, and bio. If you can, spread it out over two years so that you can focus more on each course taking 2 per semester, and retake biochem as well; while not required, getting a B+ or higher there will show that you've improved and can handle upper level sciences that are important in med school. Retaking chem bio and physics will also be good review for the MCAT, and taking them multiple times will help you knock it out of the park...those few classes won't totally improve your gpa, because you already have so many credits done, so you'll still need to rock the mcat. Check out my mdapps, because we have fairly similar numbers, maybe it'll help to get you an idea.

Hey
i went to princeton undergrad with a pretty similar gpa, and did a short penn postbacc as well. my mcat is a little lower, but check out my mdapps for some ideas, maybe it'll help.

no when i meant pretty far...i meant like physically..like regionally...lol...this is why the post-bac might be a worry of yours..cause of traveling expenses...but uh...i think you have some fresh ideas on what you should...and you though this post was going to be full of haters...lol

can someone tell me whats a troll post...im sorry i cant get it...:D

If i were you, i would retake those pre-reqs you did poorly in and GET As. Do a post-bacc, informal are usually cheaper, and retake chem, physics, and bio. If you can, spread it out over two years so that you can focus more on each course taking 2 per semester, and retake biochem as well; while not required, getting a B+ or higher there will show that you've improved and can handle upper level sciences that are important in med school. Retaking chem bio and physics will also be good review for the MCAT, and taking them multiple times will help you knock it out of the park...those few classes won't totally improve your gpa, because you already have so many credits done, so you'll still need to rock the mcat. Check out my mdapps, because we have fairly similar numbers, maybe it'll help to get you an idea.
Hello, I read a bunch of your posts and I just wanna say congrats. to you and I found many of your posts informative.

The way your GPA stands right now, it would probably be really difficult to get past the initial screening process at most allo schools. They wouldn't have a chance to get to see your very impressive background.

It takes a great number of past bacc courses to raise a low GPA as far as you would want to in order to have a good chance with your application.

You've obviously done a good job reading threads before asking your question. You may have noticed that there are a number of regular posters who had low undergrad GPA's, some of whom were able to pull off killer MCAT scores and/or great post grad GPA's, yet had little to no luck gaining entrance. It is a real uphill battle. It does take a great deal of effort, often many years and repeated attempts, and luck for someone to come from your current GPA and eventually make it. You have to consider whether you have the time, money, sheer determination, and academic ability to go through the effort with no guarantee that you will eventually gain acceptance. It is a possibility that you could get there, though not as strong as I'm sure you'd like it to be.

I don't mean this question as an insult in any way. How strongly have you considered PA (physician assistant) programs? The direct patient contact hours would go a long way in helping you to qualify for that. The career offers many of the emotional and financial benefits as that of a physician, and may be appropriate for your interests.

Applying to DO schools would be advantageous because they will calculate your GPA based on the most recent courses if you decide to retake those prereqs.

no when i meant pretty far...i meant like physically..like regionally...lol...this is why the post-bac might be a worry of yours..cause of traveling expenses...but uh...i think you have some fresh ideas on what you should...and you though this post was going to be full of haters...lol

can someone tell me whats a troll post...im sorry i cant get it...:D
:laugh:ohhh my physical location hahah yah... that is why an SMP is a problem but formal and informal post bacc programs arent a problem. There are very few masters program offered at my school and I am willing to do a postbacc to better my chances.... Trolls... well I gathered from reading and lewd pics. that its just random people posting up comments and stuff that arent actually real premed or anything related. They're just here to stir up trouble and put up stupid avatars. If this was a troll posting it would have ended many posts ago. Yah Im happy that the posts have been all helpful.:D

OP, you have a slim shot, mostly at DO schools, if you got a truely stellar MCAT. You have a decent schot, again only at DO schools, if you retook the classes where you got Cs and got all As (and again, good MCAT). So you know, to get in to a DO school, you generally should shadow, and get a letter of Rec from a DO.

SMPs are very expensive one year programs, and if you did one you would need to move. You could get in if you got a good MCAT (how good depends on what success rate you want from your SMP). If you got in and did well, you could use your perfomance in that program to get into medical school.

Finally you could just retake/take new classes to get to about a 3.4 (averaging all grades), get a very good MCAT, and go to a US allopathic school.

I like this idea!
As for what MCAT you need, that depends on what you want to do. If you want to get in next year to DO without improving your grades or doing an SMP, I´d say over a 35 and you´d still be a long shot. Getting in next year to Allo without improving your grades or doing an SMP: I´d say this is borderline impossible. Don´t spend your money applying unless you really wouldn´t feel the expense (and if you don´t think the secondary apps will eat up too much of your time).

ADVICE: Right now, focus on the MCAT. All you can do is the best you can do. Choose a review course (TPR, Kaplan, TBR, or EK) and get to work.[/quote]
Yes I am doing this at the moment. I am using EK... do you suggest something else... I like salty the kracker!

Yah... I was hoping that a formal SMP would be my last option but it seems like the majority ruled! What do you suggest about simply getting my masters degree in biology from my undergrad instituion? Okay the only reason I say this is because Im sure it is costly for many people to do SMP's else where but it is approx. $2000 for a trip to anywhere in the mainland US for me. I have no ties to any state (obviously not a resident), I am a US citizen and where Im from is US soil so that isnt an issue. Simply I would like to do my master's program at my undergrad institution.

It's not totally relevant to the thread. It's just curiosity. Guam?

This is not a troll post...but, you should consider podiatry school, chiropractic school, nursing school, PA school, medical transcription, and seriously reconsider trying to get into medical school (be that DO or whatever)...I am not sure you have what it takes...just being completely honest...it only gets harder.:oops:

ADVICE: Right now, focus on the MCAT. All you can do is the best you can do. Choose a review course (TPR, Kaplan, TBR, or EK) and get to work.

The way your GPA stands right now, it would probably be really difficult to get past the initial screening process at most allo schools. They wouldn't have a chance to get to see your very impressive background.

It takes a great number of past bacc courses to raise a low GPA as far as you would want to in order to have a good chance with your application.
Yah I estimated about 2.5 yrs. to get it to where Im more confident enough to apply.

You've obviously done a good job reading threads before asking your question. You may have noticed that there are a number of regular posters who had low undergrad GPA's, some of whom were able to pull off killer MCAT scores and/or great post grad GPA's, yet had little to no luck gaining entrance. It is a real uphill battle. It does take a great deal of effort, often many years and repeated attempts, and luck for someone to come from your current GPA and eventually make it. You have to consider whether you have the time, money, sheer determination, and academic ability to go through the effort with no guarantee that you will eventually gain acceptance. It is a possibility that you could get there, though not as strong as I'm sure you'd like it to be.
Time I have lots of:) (in life thats all you pretty much have to cherish), money (little of that but Ive been accustomed to that for a while now) sheer determination (what keeps me waking up excited every morning) academic ability (though not reflected on my transcript I have it... are grades truely a reflection of your intelligence and ability:laugh:)

I don't mean this question as an insult in any way. How strongly have you considered PA (physician assistant) programs? The direct patient contact hours would go a long way in helping you to qualify for that. The career offers many of the emotional and financial benefits as that of a physician, and may be appropriate for your interests.
I am research PA schools simultaneously with DO and MD schools (HUmid being you are reading my thoughts!) PA programs seemed very attractive to me because the length of the program is approx. half that of an MD or DO program which allows me to have the same patient doctor type of interaction while having a job that allows me to as well have a family!

Applying to DO schools would be advantageous because they will calculate your GPA based on the most recent courses if you decide to retake those prereqs.
This as well is a great aspect of applying to DO schools. Why are they regarded lower than MD schools? Just curious...

So how does it look if you go through the first three years making good grades 3.8+ nearly every semester, but then the final semester before youapply..your GPA slips a little bit. Say you make a 3.5 for this one final semester. Your GPA is still fairly high 3.8, but there is that one semester that took a noticeable hit. Something to worry about? Not?

Not.

This as well is a great aspect of applying to DO schools. Why are they regarded lower than MD schools? Just curious...

They aren't, in actuality, more lowly than allo schools, but they are more amenable to accepting those with slightly lower scores & allow applicants a type of grade forgiveness for courses they repeat.

This is not a troll post...but, you should consider podiatry school, chiropractic school, nursing school, PA school, medical transcription, and seriously reconsider trying to get into medical school (be that DO or whatever)...I am not sure you have what it takes...just being completely honest...it only gets harder.:oops:
Thanks... not offended... I have done my research and I have looked into a number of the honorable health serving positions you have posted. Life gets harder you simply adjust... I had a difficult time adjusting during undergrad (not due to school but do to very 'untraditional circumstances') the grades are a reflection of that not necessarily a reflection of what I am truely capable of. But I admireyour honesty and your avatar.:D

Hey everyone,

I posted a while back about my stats but didnt get too much feedback. Could you guys possibly give me some advice whether or not applying for this coming cycle would be a good idea? With everyone else here it seems that my stats are weak and would like to see how well I would fair off.

Thank you.

MCAT Score: VR 9, PS 11, BS 11, R
BCPM GPA: 3.65
Overall GPA: 3.68

Community college transfer student.

List of the usual suspects:

Volunteer (Cardiac Rehab, In-Patient, ER) = ~175 hours
Lab assistant at a community clinic= ~30 hours
Shadow physicians (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Dermatology) = ~50 hours
Research assistant (Respiratory Medicine) = 3 months
Elderly Nutrition Program @ Community Senior Center = 3 months

Unique and fun:

Intercollegiate sports -- Cross country and Track and Field (1 year)
Distance runathons and triathlons (ongoing)
Personal trainer (1 year)
Car designing/art illustrations
Traveling

Been working for the past 6 years ranging from blue to white collar jobs (15-40 hrs/week)

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Boston University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Jefferson Medical College
Loma Linda University
Loyola University Chicago
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
Uniformed Services University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Francisco
University of Rochester
University of Southern California
Virginia Commonwealth University

Hey everyone,

I posted a while back about my stats but didnt get too much feedback. Could you guys possibly give me some advice whether or not applying for this coming cycle would be a good idea? With everyone else here it seems that my stats are weak and would like to see how well I would fair off.

Thank you.

MCAT Score: VR 9, PS 11, BS 11, R
BCPM GPA: 3.65
Overall GPA: 3.68

Community college transfer student.

List of the usual suspects:

Volunteer (Cardiac Rehab, In-Patient, ER) = ~175 hours
Lab assistant at a community clinic= ~30 hours
Shadow physicians (Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Dermatology) = ~50 hours
Research assistant (Respiratory Medicine) = 3 months
Elderly Nutrition Program @ Community Senior Center = 3 months

Unique and fun:

Intercollegiate sports -- Cross country and Track and Field (1 year)
Distance runathons and triathlons (ongoing)
Personal trainer (1 year)
Car designing/art illustrations
Traveling

Been working for the past 6 years ranging from blue to white collar jobs (15-40 hrs/week)

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Boston University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Jefferson Medical College
Loma Linda University
Loyola University Chicago
New York Medical College
Rosalind Franklin University
Uniformed Services University
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Francisco
University of Rochester
University of Southern California
Virginia Commonwealth University
Stats wise you look pretty average. Your ECS look good, but it doesnt look like youve been doing them for very long. I think thats a good list of schools for you, and Im pretty sure you will get some interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.