What Are My Chances and Other General Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but people with 39 MCAT scores need to not post questions phrased like this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry, but people with 39 MCAT scores need to not post questions phrased like this.

Whatever. Learn to read between the lines. The poster is asking the following two things:

(1) Have people with a 3.3 GPA struggled despite a good MCAT score? and

(2) Which schools will screen him out based on the GPA despite the MCAT score?

Just because the poster has a great MCAT score doesn't mean he/she can't ask about the management of a weakness in his/her application!

I took my test at the beginning of the year and my score is as follows

PS:13
VR:12
BS:14
GPA: 3.3 (I KNOW)
Degree: BS Biomedical Engineering

I started out as an Aerospace Engineering Major and i hated it and did really bad! I then turned to pre-med and i LOVE it and worked really hard at it.

What kind of school do you think i can get into! I dont have that much money so i cant waste it on application fees.

This sounds like you have a specific trend in your GPA. Please let us know what the trend is (year by year GPA) as well as what your GPA would be when calculated for the premed classes (bio1/2, chem1/2, orgo1/2, and physics1/2).

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend this year didn't get in anywhere with a 3.4/38. He applied early to 35 schools and only received 5 interviews (all ended up in waitlists). I would suggest not wasting your time with any Top 20 schools if you don't have that much money for the application fees. Apply to every in-state school and a broad range of mid-low tier schools.

Well, Let me be more informative then:

I'm in Miami, FL

My Science GPA is about 3.65

the overall GPA is low b/c i failed Calc III once and a couple of C's in some engineering classes, but my sciences are very strong.

I think if I was a Bio major from the beginning the GPA would be higher

PS>To those people who think I'm trying to show off my MCAT score; thats not what I'm trying to do. I'm actually very worried about my GPA and i just want to know how much it would hurt my chances to get into a tier I school. Im just really good at standardized test (and got really lucky on my verbal i was averaging 9-10 on my practice exams)

Honestly, I'd say your chances of getting into a Tier 1 school (which is like Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Northwestern, etc., right?) are pretty slim. They get apps from just about every 37+ MCAT applicant out there, and the vast majority of those are going to have a significantly better GPA along with comparable or better EC's. If you're a URM, your chances improve substantially,but it's still probably going to be difficult.

By the way, math classes count towards your science GPA.

Hello everyone. I am a Canadian student in my final year of undergraduate studies. I applied to 5 ontario medical schools and just received my final rejection letter (I did not get a single interview).
Here are some of my stats:
GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.9
MCAT
VR 10
PS10
BS 14
WS P

I have many awards (honours lists, scholarships,etc) volunteered in a research lab, rehab centre, tutoring, hosptial (not clinical experience).

After receiving all my letters I have started to doubt my chances of getting accepted. I am considering applying to the US but would need to take an orgo course over the summer to meet the requirements. Do I have a good chance of getting accepted to any top schools??

Uh...wow. No interview with those credentials? Did you have someone review your personal statement? Have you spoken with any school representatives about your application? It's possible you got torpedoed by a bad LoR.

Assuming all is well, I'd imagine you'd have at least some success applying in the U.S., despite how notoriously difficult it is for any foreigners to get in. Apply broadly, and you'll probably get at least some success. Definitely check into your LoR's, though.

GPA: 3.95ish
Science: 3.9ish
MCAT: PHYS: 11 | VERB: 11 | BIOL: 12, 34P
Univ. Missouri-Columbia

ECs:
Tutored ~10hrs/week junior, senior years
Lab ~15 hrs/week junior, senior years -> no publications, 4 1st author poster sessions, 1 non-first author

Didn't apply this cycle, going to take a year off and apply next one.

I'm trying for:
WashU, Duke. What are my chances at these amazing schools?

Thanks always,
rcd

So here goes... Currently a senior at a respected liberal arts college in CA, double major in German Studies and Molecular Biology, Thesis with distinction in both departments.

GPA: 3.4, 3.1 BCPM (upward trend), 3.8 non-science

MCAT: 35R, 10PS, 10VR, 15BS

EC'S: Hospital Volunteering, ER, 150+ hours
Two years working in research labs
No papers *yet* but two are in the pipeline (recently got things to work) and my name will be on 2-3 others
Founder of Club (Scuba Diving)
Open Water Scuba Instructor (a surprisingly large amount of work, took about 2 years)
Fulbright (Research to Germany working at the Max Planck Institute)
Research in the medical field (includes working with surgery robots on live animals)

LOR'S: Extremely Strong

I'm applying to JH (dream school, almost no shot I realize), Emory, Albert Einstein, Case Western, UT Memphis, U Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford.
Am I being realistic here or do I have a next to 0 shot of getting into schools like this? Thanks for the advice.

For more info see my MD applicants profile,
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10241

Univ. Missouri-Columbia

ECs:
Lab ~15 hrs/week junior, senior years -> no publications, 4 1st author poster sessions, 1 non-first author

I'm trying for:

Thanks always,
rcd
0% if you dont have any clinical experience.

You have awesome stats, but maybe not good enough for wash u, even if you had some clinical experience, but its still worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted this few pages back but only got 1 (very good) reply so Im gonna give it one more go:

Anyone have any insight into my chances at Top schools?

College: Yale University
Major: Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, BS
GPA: 3.83
BCPM: 3.84
MCAT: taking in 3 weeks, but on AAMC practice tests I am consistently scoring: 14 Bio, 12 Phys, 11 Verb -> 37 composite. Assume 35-37 for these purposes.

I am an URM.

EC'S:
Internship UPitt Med - included volunteer, shadowing, disease study, with emphasis on afflictions affecting minority communities.

Volunteer - freshman year: Hospital, working in childrens oncology and ICU
- Second semester sophomore year: AIDs Hospice
- Second semester junior year: State Hospice
-Will continue volunteering into application summer

Note: I do not have nearly as much volunteer experience as I might have wished. Around 150 hrs.

Physician shadowing: ~4hrs/week sophomore year, +see stanford
internship below

Stanford Med internship: pending for this coming (application) summer
-Intensive shadowing (15-25hrs/week) in
cardiovascular surgery
-while there, will also continue volunteering

Research: -20hrs/week research during Junior+ year(s) at Yale Med
school (Cardiology)
-Self-proposed and carried out project
-No publication as the project was mine and only worked on by
me, so progress is slow, but the experience gives me much to
talk about in an interview

Abroad: -Spent last summer in Bilbao, Spain taking spanish language and
culture classes

Other: - Awarded "Premedical Scholar at Yale" award my freshman year
-light involvement in the Breakdancing Club here, Club Wrestling,
and the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club.
-2004 California Boys' State Attorney General in High School
(dunno if major high school achievements mean anything anymore)
-I met the dean of admissions of Stanford med and now we're homeboys :)

I qualified for the AAMC Free Assistance Program and will therefore be applying to the 13 free schools they give me.
As I am from California, these will include all the UC's (minus Davis, I can't live there):

(In order-ish)
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Harvard
John Hopkins
UPenn
Yale
UWash
WashU
Columbia
UCI
+1 more

Any insight on how I stand as of now at the top private schools and/or UC's?

Much appreciated!

I'm new at this so I can't reply to the above posts with something you don't already know...

QUESTION: How devastating is a "W" in a 1-credit Analytical chem lab (not reqd. for major)? Taking the lab out of the gpa calculation, I have a 3.92 GPA, the rest of my info is "typical". MCAT - yet to take (will spend 3 months studying for it).

GPA based on B =3.0, B+ =3.5, A =4.0, no minus grades
Especially focusing on acceptance at Florida State University.
Applying in summer 2009.
I am desperate for feedback. Any potential response is appreciated.

Hello everyone. I am a Canadian student in my final year of undergraduate studies. I applied to 5 ontario medical schools and just received my final rejection letter (I did not get a single interview).
Here are some of my stats:
GPA: 3.8
Science GPA: 3.9
MCAT
VR 10
PS10
BS 14
WS P

I have many awards (honours lists, scholarships,etc) volunteered in a research lab, rehab centre, tutoring, hosptial (not clinical experience).

After receiving all my letters I have started to doubt my chances of getting accepted. I am considering applying to the US but would need to take an orgo course over the summer to meet the requirements. Do I have a good chance of getting accepted to any top schools??

I am really sorry about your experience in Ontario. I started in the States after highschool to avoid that type of situation... I'm sorry I can't say anything a bit more helpful.

GPA based on B =3.0, B+ =3.5, A =4.0, no minus grades

I'd say that's a bit off. I'd call a B+ a 3.3 and an A- a 3.6-3.67.

Its not off, actually. A U that does the minus grades might offer 18 A's and A-'s combined whereas a U with the no-minus-grades system would give 15 A's total. I should mention that my U does not offer minus grades (at this time). Any thoughts otherwise as to how great of a hit it will be?

This is my first post here and I just created this profile today, but I'd love your feedback. I kind of just randomly added all the upper tier schools and I'm not really sure about where I will apply for sure (besides all the TX schools) but as a TX resident, I would just love (like, beyond love...) to go to Baylor or UT Southwestern. Any thoughts? What a great forum - I'm glad I found it! Thanks!!! :)

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10238

Ok, WAMC for the application cycle beginning this June:

GPA= 3.6

science GPA= 3.6

haven't taken the MCAT yet (planning to in August, way too busy in the semester)
ECs:
one year hospital volunteering (dropped off a little for a busy semester)
mentoring in the church
piano lessons
studying :)
one summer research
some shadowing (looking to do more; once again, this semester's killing me!)
worked in offices
play flute and piano (took lessons through high school, now just play whenever I can)
note: finishing BS in 3 years, am a 20 year-old minority female.

All of you should know that there isn't any way that we can give you solid feedback on your credentials unless you have MCAT scores. You might want to post again after you've gotten your scroes back.

i have a 5 on my ap bio exam and was wondering whether or not to repeat bio 1 in college, technically i can start at bio II but , do med schools frown if you use ap credits on bio.

i have a 5 on my ap bio exam and was wondering whether or not to repeat bio 1 in college, technically i can start at bio II but , do med schools frown if you use ap credits on bio.

I doubt that it would be to your disadvantage to repeat at least the lecture portion. I also received credit for the entire Bio sequence (labs included), but still took bio 1 and 2 lectures and bio 1 lab. I would use the AP credit only if you plan on taking higher level bio classes in place of the biology sequence you have credit for. Are you trying to graduate a few semesters early?

I doubt that it would be to your disadvantage to repeat at least the lecture portion. I also received credit for the entire Bio sequence (labs included), but still took bio 1 and 2 lectures and bio 1 lab. I would use the AP credit only if you plan on taking higher level bio classes in place of the biology sequence you have credit for. Are you trying to graduate a few semesters early?

no im planning on graduating in 4 years but i wouldn't mind not having to take the class

I say it doesnt really matter. I skipped out on it and felt like I did fine in my second bioclass, its really all a matter of how well you still think you know the material.

I have a quick question about how graduate (in this case, Medical Schools) calculate your GPA. For instance, when you transfer from one college to another or start out at a community college and then transfer to a four year, your GPA doesn't transfer. Do they look at each of you cumulative GPAs from each college/university and take the average of that?

Thanks in advance,

zentone

I have a quick question about how graduate (in this case, Medical Schools) calculate your GPA. For instance, when you transfer from one college to another or start out at a community college and then transfer to a four year, your GPA doesn't transfer. Do they look at each of you cumulative GPAs from each college/university and take the average of that?

Thanks in advance,

zentone
They have a Cumulative a science and math GPA and a All other GPA. THis includes classes everywhere...CC, transfers etc.

Could anybody please view my mdapplicants profile and comment on what they think my chances are of getting into "any" MD school in the US and if they think they are low, what they think I can do to improve them? Thanks so much.

Here's the link to my profile: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=09806

I can't seem to narrow down the list of schools I am going to apply to. Right now I have 35, but I want to have around 20. The only ones I will definitely apply to are the California one's I have listed (my state schools). If anybody could please go to my mdapplicants and look at my list and help me chop it down, based on my stats, it would mean SO much to me. Thanks so much!

My mdapplicants profile is here: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=09806

Hi, I know this has came up a lot of times but I wanted to know how much science GPA matter for Med school. I was really foolish to take like 3 science courses with 3 separate labs in my sophomore year for fun bio/chem/physics. Yes, for fun because I never thought about going to med school until recently. With the pre req science GPA at 3.0 is it like tough luck? I mean I have other "Science" courses that can help improve the science section, but the pre reqs is what I am afraid they will look at it the most. If people was wondering what my cum gpa is it's 3.3:thumbdown: :scared:

just wondering is Asian a minority in med school last time I heard someone said its only 6 percent. Don't know if it's true

Hi, I know this has came up a lot of times but I wanted to know how much science GPA matter for Med school. I was really foolish to take like 3 science courses with 3 separate labs in my sophomore year for fun bio/chem/physics. Yes, for fun because I never thought about going to med school until recently. With the pre req science GPA at 3.0 is it like tough luck? I mean I have other "Science" courses that can help improve the science section, but the pre reqs is what I am afraid they will look at it the most. If people was wondering what my cum gpa is it's 3.3:thumbdown: :scared:

just wondering is Asian a minority in med school last time I heard someone said its only 6 percent. Don't know if it's true
It definitely wont help your chances, but it can be overcome with a high MCAT or something else super.

Asians are actually Over represented minorities

Posted this few pages back but only got 1 (very good) reply so Im gonna give it one more go:

Anyone have any insight into my chances at Top schools?

College: Yale University
Major: Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry, BS
GPA: 3.83
BCPM: 3.84
MCAT: taking in 3 weeks, but on AAMC practice tests I am consistently scoring: 14 Bio, 12 Phys, 11 Verb -> 37 composite. Assume 35-37 for these purposes.

I am an URM.

EC'S: ....

Any insight on how I stand as of now at the top private schools and/or UC's?

Much appreciated!

Your GPA is in great shape. All that remains is that MCAT, if you score well on it, and apply early, I think you should have a successful application, and a good chance at "top" schools.

Also, I noticed on your MDApps profile you listed a high school EC. Generally, unless something you did in high school has some extraordinarily direct relevance to something you did after (which in your case it does not), you should not list it. ADCOMs are known to actually frown on this, so it might actually hurt you to list it, but even at the least it doesn't mean anything to your application. "You're only as good as the last place you have been" applies here as it will in the future.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10023

average GPA / average BCPM. haven't taken MCAT yet - ACT scores indicative of possibly average score here as well. let me know what you think of the schools i'm considering.

You did not report your GPA, and haven't taken the MCAT. ACT scores really mean nothing. Since GPA and MCAT are the two most important factors, unfortunately nobody is going to be able to give you any advice.

At the least, report your science and total GPA and we can give you something.

So here goes... Currently a senior at a respected liberal arts college in CA, double major in German Studies and Molecular Biology, Thesis with distinction in both departments.

GPA: 3.4, 3.1 BCPM (upward trend), 3.8 non-science

MCAT: 35R, 10PS, 10VR, 15BS

EC'S: Hospital Volunteering, ER, 150+ hours
Two years working in research labs
No papers *yet* but two are in the pipeline (recently got things to work) and my name will be on 2-3 others
Founder of Club (Scuba Diving)
Open Water Scuba Instructor (a surprisingly large amount of work, took about 2 years)
Fulbright (Research to Germany working at the Max Planck Institute)
Research in the medical field (includes working with surgery robots on live animals)

LOR'S: Extremely Strong

I'm applying to JH (dream school, almost no shot I realize), Emory, Albert Einstein, Case Western, UT Memphis, U Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford.
Am I being realistic here or do I have a next to 0 shot of getting into schools like this? Thanks for the advice.

For more info see my MD applicants profile,
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=10241

Your MCAT is very nice. That said, your GPA (especially science) is low for allopathic medical school. I think the good test score may help to offset it, but you might have trouble getting into the schools you listed, which are all very competitive numbers wise. I wouldn't say your chances at top schools are zero, but it is going to be pretty difficult to get into them with that GPA. Although the upward trend will certainly help, ADCOMs are going to question the numerical disconnection of your application, why was it that you have such a low science GPA in relation to your test scores (especially BS)? My advice would be to select a broader list to apply to. The LizzyM score, which you can find and learn how to use here on SDN, would be a good resource for you.

In general, if you are below average in one measue you need to be above average in the next. Your MCAT is about average for the schools you listed, but your GPA is below average. Try to find some schools with a lower average MCAT, which will help further offset your GPA. And, if you are still in school, get all A's is you can to pull that up as much as possible.

Univ. Missouri-Columbia

ECs:

I'm trying for:

Thanks always,
rcd

Your numbers are in fine shape. I believe your MCAT may be below average for Duke, and certainly below average at WashU. So I think you'd have decent chances at those places, but make sure to apply to more schools!

Your EC's, from what you listed, are few, and don't include any clinical experience. This is a serious problem; clinical experience is a must for admission to any MD or DO school, regarless of numerical competitiveness. So if you don't already have any, you are going to need to get some if you want to go to medical school.

I'm Canadian student currently at WayneStateUniversity(yeah not that great), and cumGPA of 4.00. I'm also doing developmental biology research involving arthropods with a close prof/ individual chemistry research on the structure of RNA. I also volunteer weekly at a health center in my home town. I've also won several departmental awards and I'm getting to be known around WayneState. I'm not really that involved at the university; I was sort of forced to go there because of personal issues(non-Academic). I feel like my current school is not the place that I should be; I'm contemplating transferring to a better school(That is, assuming if this is possible) ..My question is:

As a student from a forth tier school such as WayneState, should I stay there and maintain my 4.00 and "excel", or should I transfer somewhere else if I have the chance? Huh, it would such to do all that hard work and maintain a 4.00 and then get denied by every medical school because I'm foreign and I went to a crappy school.

Your numbers are in fine shape. I believe your MCAT may be below average for Duke, and certainly below average at WashU. So I think you'd have decent chances at those places, but make sure to apply to more schools!

Your EC's, from what you listed, are few, and don't include any clinical experience. This is a serious problem; clinical experience is a must for admission to any MD or DO school, regarless of numerical competitiveness. So if you don't already have any, you are going to need to get some if you want to go to medical school.

Yes, agreed.

rcd - get some more clinical experience if you haven't done that yet.

Hey fellas first time poster!
Canadian here:D

Deciding to apply to these schools EARLY!!

Case Western Reserve Medical school

Mt. Sinai medical school
Dartmouth medical college
UVa
Stony Brook
NYU
SUNY upstate
Wayne State
MSU - CHM

GPA overall and the science: 3.86/3.82
MCAT 34

Had some volunteer experience, short volunteer abroad experience (going to get more this summer) research experience w/ conference presentations,1 published abstract, and research presented at big conferences (but not by me), but no papers (yet). I also have a variety of ECs but nothing out of this world. I have 3 summers of clinical volunteering w/ some first aid volunteering experience as well!I know I could have a bigger list but I didn't want to apply to schools I didn't have intent on attending, given that I will be trying for Canadian schools again. Tell me what you all think!

Hey fellas first time poster!
Canadian here:D

Deciding to apply to these schools EARLY!!

Mt. Sinai medical school
UVa
Stony Brook
NYU
SUNY upstate
Wayne State
MSU - CHM

GPA overall and the science: 3.86/3.82
MCAT 34

Had some volunteer experience, short volunteer abroad experience (going to get more this summer) research experience w/ conference presentations,1 published abstract, and research presented at big conferences (but not by me), but no papers (yet). I also have a variety of ECs but nothing out of this world. I have 3 summers of clinical volunteering w/ some first aid volunteering experience as well!I know I could have a bigger list but I didn't want to apply to schools I didn't have intent on attending, given that I will be trying for Canadian schools again. Tell me what you all think!
Looks really solid to me, I dont see any reason why you should get in.

I assume he meant no reason why you should not get in, and I agree. Even with the ridiculous anti-foreign bias in American med schools, you should be good to go with your great scores and EC's.

calculate math courses such as precal and trig for the BCPM gpa eh?:confused: or they just count calc one and up?

ok one more question, for my list of schools,

Mt. Sinai medical school
UVa
Stony Brook
NYU
SUNY upstate
Wayne State
MSU - CHM

Is there any one of them where an EDP woudl be advantageous? I dont see why anyone would do EDP unless it gave a big edge..

The general advice here seems to be apply early and broadly, but I was just wondering what exactly is considered early...

Hey guys was wondering what my chances are for top medical schools.

My OVerall GPA is: 3.75

Science is: 3.72

Extracurricular:

1.) Worked for Congressmen and helped get donations and run campagin events for 4 years.

2.) Doing Research for 3 years.
3.) Went to India and volunteered in Hospital for 2 months, got to scrub in and help sew up patients ligaments, and help perform minor surgeries.
4.) volunteered in hosptial in America for 3 years, it was a competetive program to get into.
5.) Suffering from ellipsey and taking medication that lowers IQ, uses that in my essay.
6.) Tutored in Chemistry.

What are my chances if I get a 36 on Mcat and I am a political science major.

What are my chances if I get a 36 on Mcat and I am a political science major.
Chances to just get in somewhere? Fantastic. Chances to get into top schools? Mediocre, but not much worse than anyone else's.

Suffering from ellipsey and taking medication that lowers IQ, uses that in my essay.
Medicine that lowers IQ, eh? I think that's going to be pretty difficult to include in an essay without making yourself sound arrogant, but good luck if you think you can pull it off.

It helped with getting into all the schools I wanted to from high school. Trying to tie it with why medicine and ending with my experience in India. Using the number of epidosdes I had at school and the ridicule I receievd and how I grew from it. I know the average MCAT for harvard is 35 and gpa is 3.76. But we will see. You can be the best and still not get in. Its luck. Thanks for the input.

Stats - 32 MCAT, 3.89 science gpa, 3.86 all others, good ECs, SC resident. Thanks for any advice.

Medical University of South Carolina
Vermont
Vanderbilt
Mt. Sinai
Tufts
UNC Chapel Hill
University of California San Francisco
Dartmouth
Penn State
Brown
Colorado
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Albany
University of Minnesota
Georgetown University School of Medicine

Stats - 32 MCAT, 3.89 science gpa, 3.86 all others, good ECs, SC resident. Thanks for any advice.

Medical University of South Carolina
Vermont
Vanderbilt
Mt. Sinai
Tufts
UNC Chapel Hill
Dartmouth
Penn State
Brown
Colorado
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Albany
University of Minnesota
Georgetown University School of Medicine

Medical University of South Carolina - I don't know anything about this school.
Vermont - I don't know anything about this school.
Vanderbilt - Competitive, but your stats are pretty good.
Mt. Sinai - I don't know anything about this school.
Tufts - Probably a good choice... I have a friend who teaches at Tufts, and he loves it.
UNC Chapel Hill - How are they on OOS?
Dartmouth - Again, pretty competitive, but your stats are pretty good.
Penn State - I don't know anything about this school.
Brown - I think it's a good choice.
Colorado - Great school, but hard to get into OOS, and OOS tuition is $50K/year (and you can't get Colorado residency in school)
Wake Forest - I think it's a good choice.
Virginia Commonwealth - I don't know anything about this school.
Albany - I don't know anything about this school.
University of Minnesota - How is OOS?
Georgetown University School of Medicine - Great school, competitive, but looks at the whole package... TONS of apps, though. I think it's a good choice.

Maybe add a few more, especially private schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.