MD & DO What are my chances? Any Suggestions? 3.36 cGPA/3.38 sGPA, 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cronac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a NJ resident with a 3.36 cGPA/3.38 sGPA and a 27 MCAT (10V/8PS/9BS) who is looking at mostly DO schools but some MD schools as well.

I'm 23 with seven years of EMT experience in a busy location (thousands of calls and hours put in), and I have held officer roles across two organizations. I will be shadowing a DO in April and plan to get some volunteer hours in the coming months now that I have completed my BS in biochemistry. I have a strong upward trend (changed majors after one disastrous semester and improved since) and have encountered some adverse life events that really changed me over the past few years.

Jobwise, I've worked EMS at a water park, worked in a convenience store, and now work at a police department doing EMS.

I have also performed research while at school across three very unrelated topics (~200-300 hours).

I'm looking at DO schools in the NJ/NY/PA area as well as some MD schools.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I should proceed from this point? I'm a bit worried about my academics right now, but I feel like they might be good enough to give this cycle a shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all!

I'm a NJ resident with a 3.36 cGPA/3.38 sGPA and a 27 MCAT (10V/8PS/9BS) who is looking at mostly DO schools but some MD schools as well.

I'm 23 with seven years of EMT experience in a busy location, and I have held officer roles across two organizations. I will be shadowing a DO in April and plan to get some volunteer hours in the coming months now that I have completed my BS in biochemistry. I have a strong upward trend (changed majors after one disastrous semester and improved since) and have encountered some adverse life events that really changed me over the past few years.

I'm looking at DO schools in the NJ/NY/PA area as well as some MD schools.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I should proceed from this point? I'm a bit worried about my academics right now, but I feel like they might be good enough to give this cycle a shot.
Great shot at DO... Slim-to-none shot at MD. You should concentrate more on DO with your stats (10 DO/5 MD).

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Cronac, I agree with Bestdoctorever. Based on your stats alone you have a 22% chance of being accepted if you are white.
If you want a shot at MD, I would recommend getting a 33+ MCAT on a retake. Also, do you have any research experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do! I added that in an edit to the original post. I am also white. I was trying to stay in the NY/NJ/PA area, but it seems like my best bet might be to expand my range and look at schools I otherwise wasn't thinking of.

I'm wondering if I should retake the MCAT, but I don't want to risk a lower score as well. It seems the admission % jump for 29+ is large, but I'm not sure it is worth the risk.

You are lucky enough that in the area you live you have a lot of schools nearby: pcom, rowan, touro (2 campuses), NYIT and a little bit out you can start finding LECOM, UNECOM and perhaps the VA schools. You'll be fine with 8-10 DO applications. MD is a long shot, but might as well try in-state.

Am I the only person who thinks that GPA is a little low for DO schools? If you have any Cs, retake those and get As. Otherwise, I think you're in great shape for DO.

You are fine for most DO schools. You are sitting at pretty much the exact average for matriculates